Character Balance Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
everyone spawning with a small cache of rings (20-50?) and one random weapon panel with three pickups' worth of ammo attached to it.

and only giving the "stronger" weapons to players lagging behind. Maybe give nothing to first place? It's not really balance-related, but would make it easier for players spawning in to jump in and start attacking.
Not a good idea. Those players who are at the bottom of the scoreboard are usually unable to effectively fight with anyone because of latency and poor reaction and would be hunted very often by very skilled players as it'd be the most effective solution to look for ammo, especially rail.

Shields are the only way to not be punished badly for getting hit a single time in this game, unfortunately our only method for having actual HP is a completely random rarity.

The core problem of match is the Single Player damage system of losing everything in one shot, so I suggested the modern SEGA fashion of losing 20 rings or so only on hit (which is consistent with what spills out actually) but apparently that's not 'consistent'. If so, then shields are what's needed to be worked on; having them in fair abundance is important.

In turn, I think the SRB2Plus (wasn't that it's name?) mechanics should be considered, with more health should come more chance for people actually dying. When you hit someone there was incentive to stick around and continue the fight, not the campy hit and thok away shenanigans we have going on right now.

Both of these combined could help multiplayer become not only safer and less frustrating, but aggressive at the same time.

Read the rest of my comment, then. It would not make sense if the only two ways to lose special weapons were by dying and a Recycler Monitor being used.
And it would neither make sense to get hit, lose a shield, get hit, lose all Rings, then get hit again, and survive because one has special weapons. At least not in a Sonic game, fan-game or not.
Edit: If you have other suggestions for when to lose special weapons, though, then I'm listening... reading.

I believe you're reading my suggestion backwards. You would lose your weapons before you lost your rings. If you have weapons, you lose those first, and THEN your rings if you don't have any weapons.

Iceman's suggestion of only losing a portion of your rings was also an idea I was pondering. To say it's inconsistent with classics though is iffy, because Sonic Generations used this method even with Classic Sonic.

Last edited:
I believe you're reading my suggestion backwards. You would lose your weapons before you lost your rings. If you have weapons, you lose those first, and THEN your rings if you don't have any weapons.
...Nope, I'm not reading your suggestion backwards, I'm just reading Duon the Adventurer's suggestion as yours, due to the way you replied to my reply to him. *Shrug*

Iceman's suggestion of only losing a portion of your rings was also an idea I was pondering. To say it's inconsistent with classics though is iffy, because Sonic Generations used this method even with Classic Sonic.
While Sonic Generations may have used it for Classic Sonic (and Modern Sonic), and the same for other recent Sonic games, it's something I really don't like. But I'm not the one to make decisions about Sonic Robo Blast 2, that's up to the developers, and I respect your (and Iceman's) suggestion/opinion fully.

Well hum, instead of deciding what the player should lose between some Rings and Weapons, why not doing this?

When the player gets hurts,
-It loses all/a portion of its rings (Unless it has a shield, in this case it would only drops weapons.)
-It drops the weapon pannel of its active weapon and loses all its ammo, by the way.
-It drops like 50% of the other weapons max ammo (For instance, 150 Auto-Rings and 25 Bomb-Rings) as PICKUPS (If it still has ammo, he can still use them.)
-If it dies, it would drop everything; all ammo pannel, pickups for weapons that weren't obtained by the pannels (and eventually all seven emeralds, but as I see Supers are gonna be scrapped.)

This would let the Player who gets hurt to have a chance to "strike back" (Can still have Rings to eventually revenge hit immediatly, or to get away without having to getting everything again) and give an actual reward to the one who hurt it. (Some ammo pickup for obtained weapon, a weapon pannel and some Rings.)
Just my idea tough.

https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=39986

I'd like to suggest this be incorporated into vanilla in some way. Sonic is a character that can be in front of you and behind you at basically the same time because of how brokenly fast his ability is, making him an extremely offensive character, much more than Tails and ironically Knuckles. Playing with this added a nice sense of defensive options to the other two, at least I found it so.

If you're truly not into the idea of ricochet rings for every weapon like so, at least consider the effect on the front of Knuckles players (or just gliding if that's too powerful).

If the above were added, I think rings clanking off of rings thrown by yourself (grenade ring gif) should take some sort of existing movement priority. Clanking your own grenade ring would be really fucking cool, but when its direction is shifted randomly to diagonally behind you... not so much.

I've been thinking that perhaps Knuckles should be altered or added on to in such a way that he can be played much more defensively. Somehow capable of doing... something without necessarily having to move to do it, but in a perspective where it can actually punish offensive players. I can't think of anything other than either a wall or a shockwave attack around himself of some sort. (Spindash while gliding to drill towards the floor?)

I was wondering how people would feel if tails's helicopter tail only required you to hold down the key to rise instead of mashing it?

I was wondering how people would feel if tails's helicopter tail only required you to hold down the key to rise instead of mashing it?

I'm personally against the idea simply because it doesn't allow for precision control of how high Tails is going. Being able to tap the key here and there to simply maintain a hover is really useful and it is much more difficult to achieve with a control scheme that continuously makes you rise so long as the button is held. This ends up making it so the level of your flight is much more variable on when you press and release the button rather than just when you tap it.

Granted, hold-to-fly would make it less straining on your finger (or thumb) and would allow Tails to rise much faster than normal, so I guess it depends on how you look at it.

After some time thinking about it, I have to say I don't really understand Why you would think tapping the controller gives more precise control then holding it down.

I don't think holdfly makes any difference, but I'd prefer tapfly because it's more consistent with the way Sonic 3 & Knuckles handled it.

After some time thinking about it, I have to say I don't really understand Why you would think tapping the controller gives more precise control then holding it down.
The same can be said for holding the jump button not having any precision benefit either. Mashing faster than a certain speed gives you no benefit. I don't know what the exact time requirement is, but it's pretty easy to tap it fast enough to fly upward at max speed.

The only time I've ever had any trouble with flying upwards as Tails is when I was holding forward, strafe, firing at someone and trying to fly upwards at the same time. I'm still not sure it wasn't a keyboard ghosting issue, either. In any normal situation it makes no difference how to fly up except personal preference.

The same can be said for holding the jump button not having any precision benefit either. Mashing faster than a certain speed gives you no benefit. I don't know what the exact time requirement is, but it's pretty easy to tap it fast enough to fly upward at max speed.

The only time I've ever had any trouble with flying upwards as Tails is when I was holding forward, strafe, firing at someone and trying to fly upwards at the same time. I'm still not sure it wasn't a keyboard ghosting issue, either. In any normal situation it makes no difference how to fly up except personal preference.

If "personal preference" is what it chalks up to, would it not be possible to implement a setting in the game for your preferred style of flight?(Naturally, holdfly wouldn't keep the rapid ascension that it currently has, and would be even with tapfly.)

There is nothing fun or beneficial from mashing a button to do an extremely common action over just holding it.

Just put an option in the console/options menu, "Holdfly on/off"?

I was unaware the method of flying as Tails was so strange and complex.

Just put an option in the console/options menu, "Holdfly on/off"?

I was unaware the method of flying as Tails was so strange and complex.
You're probably unaware because... it's not. I still vote for mash-fly for single ability, and hold-fly for multi ability, just like it currently is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back