• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Magical Dimensions Zone (Complete)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I would mostly say the tall pillars could stand to be another texture. But honestly, when I make levels I change the textures a lot until I get it to look how I want it to. One tip is to look at parts of the level and ask yourself a simple question. "Does this sector mash up with the sectors around with it to make it hard to see?" If the answer is yes, then change the texture so it separates the sectors and gives the player a better sense of where he his heading to.

Also, another thing, don't be afraid to add in trees or waterfalls to the grass area, I could honestly easily picture a nice little structure with waterfalls flowing out of it with some trees on a grassy part. Scenery is something that adds to the level as the player goes through it, and helps build the theme. And since there is a grass area, trees and water would be okay to add in, and could also be used for some platforming and gimmicks. But just make sure not to over do the scenery, I've played levels that had to much scenery and not enough gimmicks/platforming.

Thanks KO.T.E

Also... Major update:

Trees appeared
treesd.png

More trees and a little new area
moretrees.png

Ice dimension improved...
icedimensionimproved.png

More stuff of the ice dimension...
newblocksice.png

continuingfromhre.png

Waterfalls were added on the ice dimension. The sand dimension huge pillars will have darker shades on the walls.

That's all for now...

EDIT: Forgot to say that the lava dimension will have some floating lava translucent blocks for the scenary.

Last edited:
Now THAT looks good, although the tree's stumps seem a bit to wide, and the leaves are a bit flat. Try to thing out the sump by a little bit, and add in a second fof for the leaves that sticks up higher on the top, and lower on the bottom.

Also, in the second picture of the Ice level, may I suggest that if the small platforms move up and down? It would add in for a bit of challenge, and make it less of a boring space tapping.

I WILL TRY to do that moving plataforms but it's hard because I barely maneged to do that on the green dimension, but yeah, I will do that.

Thanks KO.T.E

Also... Major update:

Trees appeared
treesd.png

More trees and a little new area
moretrees.png

Ice dimension improved...
icedimensionimproved.png

More stuff of the ice dimension...
newblocksice.png

continuingfromhre.png

Waterfalls were added on the ice dimension. The sand dimension huge pillars will have darker shades on the walls.

That's all for now...

EDIT: Forgot to say that the lava dimension will have some floating lava translucent blocks for the scenary.

Very nice touch although to me it still feels like something is missing. Also I wouldn't recommend translucent FOF's in a lava/fire themed level since it usually doesn't really go along with the theme, unless you're making lava crystals or something like that, however this would usually belong in a cave.

Haha actually don't mind me too much, I sometimes get into the zone when it comes to level design :P
These are only some suggestions. I'll be looking forward to updates.

EDIT: There is also something about that texture the tree stumps use that I don't find visually appealing. Maybe try changing it?

Try using a darker version of the texture you used for the tree stumps. It'll look more nicer in my opinion.

Ok. It will have the Verdant Forest wood texture on the tree stumps.

Also, what I wanna make is put some red translucent fof in the air for the scenary on the lava dimension, But if you don't like this idea, please let me know.

Look guys, Darker walls were added on the sand dimension

The Ice dimension is now complete and the lava dimension is started.

But I have a little issue here. I have three starposts. Each on one dimension(without the lava dimension).

But everytime I activate one starpost, The other two activate by themselfs.

Please guys help me. I want to make a pretty good level but this thing is annoying me. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Screenshots soon...

Doublepost again....

Well nice job on the map so far rocky. Your doing a wonderful job on it.

But i do got to agree with Metal Fighter. The lava and ice maps don't do well with translucent FOF.

Unless like he said your making ice or lava crystal for it then never mind.

OK. I'm back with some updates and screens:

The trees have changed.(For the worse or for the better...)
treeschange.png

The sand dimension walls have been changed to darker textures. Take a look...
darkershades.png

Now a little closer look...(Also getting my ass kicked)
morecloserlook.png

Changed the ice dimension a little bit...
progreesicedimension.png

More progress at the ice dimension...
morepath.png

And the lava dimension is here...

lavaev.png

Don't worry... The screenshot is darker because of the school computer.

Notes: The lava dimension is going to have Heat Wave effect.

Tell me what you think so far.

Pm me if you have any questions about this or if you spotted a bug. Thanks.

EDIT: The starpost error is now fixed.

Looks great, although the lava dimension looks a bit bland. Might I suggest adding in a few pools of lava or at least some cracks in the ground showing lava? Maybe have some parts that stick up along the walls like the ones at the end, but the have lava flowing into the pit around the area?

Either way, the level looks very good. Keep up the good work!

I have an idea. I will apply the pools of lava into the level like you said KO.T.E and put lava under a floating FOF. That way it will look like the lava is keeping the plataform at surface.

I don't know if this is a good idea but please tell me what do you think.

I am loving doing this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back