Greenflower Boss = Metropolis's now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjsec4ever

The Reason Angels Die
Just went through 2.1's Greenflower boss. Got a bit of a jump when I found out the 2nd phase involved spike balls.
If this is to acquaint the new player to SRB2 bosses, it's a tad... harsh, don't you think? Us 1.x and 2.0.x players were acquainted to just the simpler version, and was deemed too easy for the first boss. Yes, easy, and you made it harder. That's good and all, fine. Maybe this is a bit of a rage post on my first death in 2.1.x being from the first boss... >_>

Last edited:
Well darn. For someone used to pre-2.1 GFZ Eggman, this is sure going to bite me in the ass.

At least the spikes should've been more visible or easy to notice, since their quite... small sprite makes it quite hard to see the spikes.

And hit him isn't so hard, just get hit and profit of the short invicibility.
Or just make like before, jump lower.

Honestly, SRB2's bosses have always been rather...meh in general. Even new players generally found the Egg Mobile trivial, and getting hit was only a failure of operating the controls more than anything Eggman actually did. The pinch made the boss easier instead of harder, too.

We're not exactly out to ruin new players with bosses or anything, but it's important that the player actually interacts with the boss in some meaningful way. Having to wait for his spikes disappear or jump lower to avoid them actually requires the player to change their tactic when the pinch phase triggers.

I honestly think the spikes should be removed, the lasers kept, and the movement of Eggman should be a bit faster. I've always thought it a very slow boss.

I like the spikes, I don't think it adds much difficulty to the boss, I understand it would be harder for new players but I really don't think It's so hard that new comers wouldn't be able to win, plus it reminds me of the old pre 2.0 final boss, although if I have one complaint is that the Techno hill zone boss now feels easy by comparison, and I really didn't see why there was a need for a barrier around the arena for that boss.

The spikes are fine, I don't know how anybody's having problems with them.

And Eggman should be slow, so that players have time to assess the situation. Right now, the GFZ boss is interesting and legitimately challenging, but not overwhelming or demanding. That's the balance that needs to be stricken.

GFZ is nice for me as it is. Maybe you don´t remember when you played classic Sonic games back in the day and you sucked... But I do. And I remember getting hit a lot, and getting a ring or two after each hit and using that invincibility time to strike at Eggman. You can easily beat GFZ even playing badly with that strategy.

I agree THZ looks outdated now, though. It´s ironic how the most polished boss back in the day is now the most outdated one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back