This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

clairebun

Community Noise Maker
Sonic Team Junior
This script removes Sonic's speed thok, instead allowing him to perform both a double jump and a drop dash.

• Press jump in the air to double jump. Press jump once more to perform a shield ability (if you have one)
  • Hold spin in the air to perform an instant spindash on landing. Sonic can use this move even if he already has a shield or has double jumped.
  • Toggle metalthok in console to give Metal Sonic the speed thok and remove his dash mode ability.

Credits and Re-Use Guidelines
All assets can be reused and all scripts can be freely modified. Please credit DirkTH in the event that any sprite assets are reused.

Attachments

• srb20059.gif
    srb20059.gif
    7.5 MB · Views: 5,061
  • srb20062.gif
    srb20062.gif
    7.6 MB · Views: 3,714
Last edited:
Everyday we're getting closer to having Sonic Mania in Robo Blast 2 (especially since Mighty and Ray are there too)

Everyday we're getting closer to having Sonic Mania in Robo Blast 2 (especially since Mighty and Ray are there too)

Probably not even close until Mighty and Ray gets the resprite they deserve (and Mighty is getting one atm, not sure for Ray)

Last edited:
I love this moveset! The dropdash and double jump are both very useful, and the option to move the thok to Metal Sonic was a good choice. It would be nice if the dropdash became more powerful the longer you held it, like the spindash. Also, I think Metal's thok should be given a more "robotic" sound, if that makes sense. Maybe CDFM35, KC5B, or KC68 would work well? But overall, this is a really great script, and I'll definitely host with it in the future.

Last edited:
I can see how you may think SRB2 should have the thok moved to Metal Sonic, since you unlock him after beating the game, and also makes him an expert character while making Sonic easier for newcomers and simpler... but.

The Dash Mode and float sound like something Metal Sonic would have, and the Thok doesn't really make sense to be on Metal. We know this isn't getting into vanilla since the thok pretty much DEFINES srb2 Sonic.

Many reasons people play Sonic is because he can do so much with his Thok. Catering to new players shouldn't be a concern, it's not like these controls are hard to learn... like at all. It's just WASD and the arrow keys it's really simple I don't see why you think you need to cater to newcomers, oh and theres RVZ and ERZ(sure ERZ is getting a re-do but RVZ is way too hazardous in it's current state, just the ***SHEER AMOUNT*** of shit it tries is a lot.)

We have Tails as the easiest character, and I suppose Amy currently would be the hardest due to her needing to time her twinspin...which is only a problem with the stupid fish in deep sea zone to be honest. With Sonic having a double jump there's no reason to really play Amy as her higher jump height no longer would matter. Sonic being really good horizontally, but having no vertical abilities was always a thing in the Sonic games (I mean... he was the only one who could use shield abilities for SOME reason.)

I suppose I'm just rambling at this point, but I don't see why this is necessary, I can see holdfly as it's just an improvement to tails flight, I can see multiglide because sonic adventure 1, it makes Knuckles not feel super sluggish and may make people actually WANT to do a campaign mode with him. His glide crouch just needs to go entirely, and I think there's nothing wrong with SA1's multiglide, I mean yes, SA1 did have like way higher jumps than this game... i'm rambling.

Aaaanyway, just give Knuckles the flag SF_Multiability (same thing with Tails) to give them multiglide and holdfly respectively. It's that easy, no coding required.

Probably not even close until Mighty and Ray gets the resprite they deserve (and Mighty is getting one atm, not sure for Ray)
Ray is getting new sprites? Cool. But aside from that we got almost everything that Mania had feature-wise (characters, abilities...) and we just need a port of Encore Mode for the 2.2.

Was multiglide in any of the Mega Drive titles?

Nope, if you release the jump button Knuckles is in his falling state until you touch the ground (which makes him virtually harder to play in my opinion because he could've gone to his rolling state instead, especially since he had a lag when he reaches the ground).

Overall I do agree that Metal Sonic doesn't need the thok but Tails could get the holdfly and Knuckles the multiglide like in the Adventure games.

Version 1.1

• Fixed Sonic being able to infinitely jump with a shield
  • Fixed Sonic being in standing frames for 1 tic when landing into dropdash
  • Added a custom sound effect to Metal's thok

Seeing that Metal also got the thok reminds me that SADX and SA2B's Metal was just a glorified Sonic reskin rather than being a unique character.

Anyway I love Sonic's double jump and drop dash.

I love the double jump! Great job!

I'm not sure if the drop dash is working in 2.2.0 on Mac, it just seems like I'm regular rolling rather than drop-dashing?

It's activated by holding spin for about half a second. You should be able to do it so long as you haven't used your shield ability.

Ah okay... I think it's working then. Is the DD equal to an unrevved spin dash? Somehow it feels less fast/powerful. I wasn't able to drop dash up ramps very well. So imo it would be cool if it were as propulsive as the Thok, but on the ground.

One thing I love about the Double Jump + Drop Dash in theory is how you can maintain being in ball form so much more. I love that. I've always liked the view that Sonic is like a pinball version of a platformer, so it's cool to be jumping and zooming around in in the roll attack.

Ah okay... I think it's working then. Is the DD equal to an unrevved spin dash? Somehow it feels less fast/powerful. I wasn't able to drop dash up ramps very well. So imo it would be cool if it were as propulsive as the Thok, but on the ground.

One thing I love about the Double Jump + Drop Dash in theory is how you can maintain being in ball form so much more. I love that. I've always liked the view that Sonic is like a pinball version of a platformer, so it's cool to be jumping and zooming around in in the roll attack.

The drop dash is equal to Sonic's max speed, except in cases where Sonic's total movement speed at the current frame exceeds that.

Part of the intent is to balance the dropdash with the added double jump -- providing Sonic with a balance of speed and mobility that makes him easy to control while maintaining his sense of flow.

Last edited:
I'm losing interest in playing with this mod more and more. So you're telling me that the drop dash doesn't feel satisfying at all, and is ultimately pointless because you can go to max speed just by holding forward for less than one second just because you're scared? I just, i have nothing to say. No words.

Version 1.2

• Added new sprites courtesy of DirkTH
  • Added captions for Metal's thok noise
  • Slightly raised the actionspd of Sonic's drop dash (36 -> 40)

Attachments

• srb20068.gif
    srb20068.gif
    4.7 MB · Views: 1,608
Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back