Customizing your SRB2 Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuriousFox

AKA FuriousFox
I got bored, so I figured I'd do something a little different. This guide will show you how you can customize your SRB2 folder and files.

(Please note that this guide is made for Windows XP. If you're using something different, I can't guarantee this will work.)

Custom Folder Icon

folder.png

Having a custom icon for your SRB2 folder will help you find it when it's buried in a sea of other folders. Here's how you can do it:

1. Right-click your SRB2 folder.
2. Select Properties
3. Click the Customize tab
4. At the bottom, there will be a button that says "Change Icon...". Click this button.
5. From here, you can either select one of the icons provided to you, or you can click the Browse button to use an icon in another folder. You can also browse to an EXE file (such as srb2win.exe) to use any icons that are in that EXE.
6. Click OK. Your folder should now have the icon you selected.

Custom File Icons

fileicons.png

You can also set custom icons for certain filetypes. In the above screenshot, you can see how I used custom icons for SOC and WAD files. Here's how you can do it:

1. Go to your SRB2 folder.
2. In the top bar, click Tools -> Folder Options...
3. Click the File Types tab.
4. Browse through the list until you find the filetype you want to modify.
5. Click Advanced.
6. Click Change Icon...
7. From here, you can either select one of the icons provided to you, or you can click the Browse button to use an icon in another folder. You can also browse to an EXE file (such as srb2win.exe) to use any icons that are in that EXE.
8. Click OK. Your files should now have the icon you selected.

Custom File Actions

fileaction.png

In the above screenshot, you can see how I added an option to "Play Wad" when I right-click a WAD file. When I click it, SRB2 will start up with the wad automatically loaded. Here's how you can do it:

1. Go to your SRB2 folder.
2. In the top bar, click Tools -> Folder Options...
3. Click the File Types tab.
4. Browse through the list until you find the filetype you want to modify.
5. Click Advanced.
6. Click New...
7. In the Action box, type in the name of the action ("Play Wad", for example).
8. Click the Browse... button and find the application you want to run when you click this action.
9. In the second text box, add any parameters you need to the end (-file "%1", for example. "%1" means "This file").
10. Click OK. You should now be able to select the new action by right-clicking a file with that filetype.

If anyone else wants to add anything, go ahead. I may add more pictures later to make the process easier.

Last edited:
Mind giving us links to the icons you used?

Mind giving us links to the icons you used?
5. From here, you can either select one of the icons provided to you, or you can click the Browse button to use an icon in another folder. You can also browse to an EXE file (such as srb2win.exe) to use any icons that are in that EXE.

In any case, good guide.

The Sonic head is from srb2win.exe, the WAD icon is from SRB2 Workbench, and the SOC icon is from SOCEdit.exe.

inb4HOWDOIDOTHISONVISTA

...No, really, how am I supposed to do this on Vista? If there IS a way?

EDIT: Never mind, Got it.
...Except for the last thing, which is the only thing I want to know.

Last edited:
What, you mean Vista doesn't have the basic right-click drop-down menu and Properties window like EVERY OTHER VERSION OF WINDOWS EVER?

It would be nice if you told us how to do it on Vista, D00D64.

When in doubt, right click everything.

Right click and properties, customization, and you pretty much do the rest from what FF said.

What, you mean Vista doesn't have the basic right-click drop-down menu and Properties window like EVERY OTHER VERSION OF WINDOWS EVER?

Nope :3
Not a USEFUL one anyways.

EDIT 1: ...Oh crap.
I GOT THE REGULAR TOOLBAR BACK

Okay, in Control Pannel, use Classic View, go to Folder Options, go to View, andin the Files and Folders part, click Always Show Menus.

EDIT 2: Aaaaaaaaaaand it does not help at all. There is no File Types tab or anything of the sort.

Last edited:
Last edited:
EDIT: Wait, nope, the game won't run WITH the WAD added, sadly.

Did you add the -file "%1" to the end? If so, check log.txt in your SRB2 folder and see which parameters it ran with. Maybe that can help you find the problem.

It should look something like this:

Code:
GetArgcArgv() ...
lpCmdLine is '"C:\Program Files\SRB2_v20\srb2win.exe"  -file "C:\Program Files\SRB2_v20\scr_acidmissile.wad"'
Myargc: 3
myargv[0] : 'C:\Program Files\SRB2_v20\srb2win.exe'
myargv[1] : '-file'
myargv[2] : 'C:\Program Files\SRB2_v20\scr_acidmissile.wad'

Last edited:
In the custom file actions, is there a way to have an action to open it with SRB2DB, SRB2WB, and SLumpEd? And for SOCs, an action for edit with SOCEdit?

Did you put in -file? It should look something like this:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\SRB2_v20\srb2win.exe" -file "%1"

Ah, just figured that out myself (As seen in the above edit), but thanks a lot!
And now my WAD files have the ol' JTE Supervirus as an icon :3
...I wish I knew how to make my OWN icons though...

EDIT: http://www.rw-designer.com/online_icon_maker.php :3
Sadly, only 16x16, but I use the Detail list, so it's gonna be small for me anyways.

Last edited:
Srb2 gives me an error saying it can't find srb2.srb and that it "expected" it to be in my WADs folder, where it isnt. O_o

I added -file "%1" EXACTLY like that. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: DOOD64, what I did was I just whipped one up in MSpaint,and then just used THAT. Its pretty simple. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back