This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
finally, srb2 is good again

gonna dock points for killing the bee in the trailer though

I'm inclined to agree with Inazuma regarding the design of SMS. The yellow, green, and red are all clashing in a way that's rather unappealing to the eye. When I was a teenager a decade ago I thought it looked cool, but now that I have more of an eye for artstyle it just looks jarring.

What I could suggest to fix it however is since you are going for a "Transformation" concept, perhaps you could nix the red stripe on his head and make him overall more green to set him apart from Super Sonic.

In regards to his HMS form, it's very over the top, but in a way I find rather visually pleasing. It very much fits the overwhelmingly overpowered nature of the form, so I don't mind the multitude of colors present.

As for how SMS and HMS actually play, I find it to be quite enjoyable. It's great for going on a power trip without entirely removing skill from the equation, which is a rather satisfying combination. Ironically however, my favorite thing about this doesn't have anything to do with the character itself, but rather is in regards to how sometimes when you thok into a badnik they bust apart into tiny little bits. I would very much enjoy it if that was added in as a vanilla feature.

I'm inclined to agree with Inazuma regarding the design of SMS. The yellow, green, and red are all clashing in a way that's rather unappealing to the eye. When I was a teenager a decade ago I thought it looked cool, but now that I have more of an eye for artstyle it just looks jarring.

What I could suggest to fix it however is since you are going for a "Transformation" concept, perhaps you could nix the red stripe on his head and make him overall more green to set him apart from Super Sonic.
I'm sorry, did you really just suggest turning SMS into Broly? XD

AW YEAH! THIS IS HAPPENIN'!

I've never been this happy - SRB2 wise, that is - ever since SRB2 2.2 came out to the public.

This is definitely made with a lot of passion and skill and it really shows! There are some really well-made graphics here, and I'm a big fan of the options menu. But, if you don't mind, I'd like to give some constructive criticism on the character mod itself.
There are a lot of really cool ideas in this mod, but I think it fails by trying to do every idea all at once. The best way I can think to exemplify this is with the glow on SMS himself. The glow is portrayed in the shading, the skin palette animations, the corona light, and with a white outline around the sprites. The white outline isn't doing the sprites or the glow any favors, and actually lessens the effect of the glow coming from everything else. I think if you HAD to keep it, you should do it using a second, larger player sprite layer colorized white with some translucency applied, or just dropped the outline entirely.
The gameplay has potential for a fun traversal kit if it wasn't all made obsolete by the ridiculous levels of speed you can easily get to. There's no point in having most of the movement options because you can use any single one to cheese anything. If the kit were made to be more tame, I think it would make this character more fun to keep playing.
I understand that the overpowered feel of SMS is a part of the appeal, but with the extent that it's at it comes off a bit like when you bite into a piece of zebra stripes gum and get all the flavor at once, and then it's all gone on the second chew.

this is quite the interesting character! the polish really does show

amazing work!

now take a long rest. you need it

I'm sorry, did you really just suggest turning SMS into Broly? XD

My actual mindset was just to reduce the number of colors and use a color that isn't used by another transformation, but no that's noncanon now. Definitely the Broly thing.

My God. I can't believe SMS is back. I always had a blast playing with SMS back in 1.09.4, in fact I still have a download link bookmarked for it lmao. Glad to see this wad back and in the craziest form that it possibly could have. The possibilities for this are unreal!

This is was a blast to play. The only few gripes I have with it is that some of the sprites look bad and there are too much abilities.

I like having the SMScontrols option in co-op and single player, but it would've been nice to have them in match and battle, too, since new players will want to play as SMS, but they won't be able to understand how they work.

I've already said this on the YouTube video, but I feel like I need to post it here to emphasise just how happy I am to see this.

----
NGL I'm crying right now, actually scratch that, after seeing the HyperMysticSonic reveal, I'm bawlingmy eyes out with happiness, the nostalgia is flooding back to me so hard I can't even imagine it, no longer will I have to IMAGINE the feeling of going faster, but instead...WE CAN GO FASTER...MUCH FASTER

The fact this is now a transformation, as it was probably intended to be over a decade ago must feel wonderful and now Super Mystic Sonic and HyperMysteriousShadonic123311 are reunited with each other officially in the same version again, and that makes me cry even more.

We can finally start having those mini flame wars that nobody cared or even knew existed about which is stronger: "SMS or HMS123311?" and then deciding it with a battle on Meadow Match

Thank you ever so much for returning to this legend. I'm so sorry that the SuperMysticSonic website couldn't last for one more year to see this, as seeing it update one last time would've been bittersweet, but I'm happy :) Welcome back, S̶u̶p̶e̶r̶M̶y̶s̶t̶i̶c̶S̶o̶n̶i̶c̶! Golden Shine! I can't wait to see where you'll go from here!

As great as this mod is, one cannot understate how much the amount of buttons you need to press sucks. But I'm not gonna waste my time complaining. In fact, I've already made and attached a proof-of-concept control fix for this character that I think will improve many players' experience and make SMS more fun overall.

Here's a basic list of what I've changed:

- SMS will now automatically use the homing thok if an enemy is nearby, thus removing the need to hold spin. As such, walljumps will now be performed automatically.

- Because pressing spin in the air was freed up by the previous change, the stomp was moved to the spin button. Now comboing a stomp into a spindash is alot easier. Not to mention you have to move your fingers less.

- Triple Sweepkick and Atomic Dive have been moved to the Custom 1 button, and the Light Speed Dash to the Custom 2 button. Now, this may seem odd that I put Triple Sweepkick, Atomic Dive, and Boost on the same button, but it works better than you think. It's almost kinda like in Mario 3, where the run button is the same exact button you use to do a Tail Whip as Raccoon Mario. The Atomic Dive was mostly put here because Custom 1 lacked an aerial move after Stomp was moved to Spin. It almost never gets in the way because the Boost is activated by holding the button, and it makes the Dive alot easier to use in practice.

- On a smaller note, Homing Momentum is set to KEY on default. I did this as I find it's the most beginner-friendly of the three options, and makes the most sense from a design standpoint.

Well, Golden Shine, what do you think? I hope you consider this for an official release, because I personally think it vastly improves on SMS's moveset, even though it doesn't technically add much of anything. Of course, if you don't like my ideas and would rather keep SMS as is, that's totally fine too, and I will take down this comment if need be.

EDIT: File removed on Goiden Shine's request.

Last edited:
I really enjoy these new controls Alfredo cooked up, but going from sweepkicking with low speed to exceeding super sonic's speed in less than a second is really funky. It also sucks how you can't walljump after thokking, which was possible in the official version.

tumblr_n8a9car4q51sc66cvo3_r1_500.gif

what have you SMS unleashed upon us

Umi besto waifu

Also, this thing is going to break the very fabric of reality

Last edited:
The super form reminds me of Super Shadow from Sonic Adventure 2,and i'm confused

There were a bunch of things I wanted to say about this, but then it hit me that the HMS music is a remix of Clownpiece's theme song.

5 stars out of 5, would Lunatic Time again.

What a weird time that we a living in to finally see an official release of SMS on the MB... Everything seems be all coming together in 2.2 huh?

Other than that, I checked out SMS and needless to say, I really had fun with this dude. SMS' move pool is really unique and interesting. Especially with the Light Dash finally seeing a comeback after all these years. My only criticism is that his base form feels a little too slippery and hard to control for my tastes and transforming into Hyper Mystic has a lot going on screen, but distracting to a point where I can't really see where I'm going. Other than that, really appreciate the in game menu and the sprites, even though they kinda clash with the rest of the game, I can appreciate the labor that went into it and won't dock it. Good job man. Glad to see that you finally made SMS how you envisioned many years ago.

Last edited:
Some constructive criticism for your consideration:

Code: Please look at something like BattleMod for some examples on how I optimize my workflow. I rawset tables and functions so that I can easily carry my building blocks into different lumps. I can organize my workflow however I want this way, and it prevents me from having to create the same function over and over again whenever I try to introduce it into a different lump.

Additionally, there are various methods you can use to execute series of code without writing the exact same thing over and over so the game executes it five times. The most common of these is the for loop, and you can find an example of how this works on the Wiki (or in one of my many scripts).

Please ask questions in #scripting. There's no way I could have gotten as far as I did on something like BattleMod without the help of regulars like Tatsuru and LJ Sonic to teach me tricks. I could condense some of the 900+ line hooks you write into a fraction of that amount, and I hope you will be able to do that too so that you don't kill yourself with inefficient scripting methods.

Visuals: You get an A+ for effects and spectacle. The spritework is still an issue, however, in that it makes the character difficult to look at due to his extremely bright color profile. The core shading of the character itself isn't that bad, but when he starts to glow, his shades are all homogenized into a singular bright yellow. The white outline compounds on this issue by causing him to blend against any brighter backdrop. I would strongly recommend toning down or removing the glow or altering the base shading to compensate for it. You may also consider looking into removing the white outline from the sprites and reincorporating it to his ingame appearance by making it a colorized underlay of his current sprite; this would allow you to create a more dynamic glow effect than what you have currently.

Also the thokitem still looks as awful as it ever did -- I think you could be a lot more creative with thokitem, possibly by experimenting with some sort of animated multicolor effect, if you wanted to make it not look like a standard thokitem.

Moveset: It feels like there are some good ideas in here (I like the sweepkick and the side-flip in particular), but the rest of his kit is just a complicated mess to me. I actually have all of the necessary keys bound already, but they're not in accessible enough locations for me to effectively take advantage of his entire toolkit, and truthfully I'm not about to reconfigure my setup just to take advantage of a single character.

I believe the sheer complexity of the kit muddles his design, and that some effort could be taken to condense it. For example, I believe that you could go the Sonic Adventure 2 route with SMS's sweep/flip maneuvers by tying them to his spin key along with his spindash (e.g. Forward/Neutral tap does the sweep, Side tap does the side-flip, Hold Spin triggers spindash). In fact, what you might do is transform your Custom buttons into "mode" toggles, where each "mode" causes the Spin key to do something different. I think this would allow for a much more comfortable setup for most users than how the control scheme is interfaced currently.

Battle

The overall design ethos of the character in Battle makes enough sense -- the player must collect 30 rings as a standard Sonic with a nerfed thok and no Super Jump / Ground Pounds, and once he transforms, he completely sacrifices any ability to use shields. In theory, this makes SMS the most fragile character in the game, and it forces downtime on the player every time they get hit.

The issue is that the downsides need to be proportional to the strengths, and while on any other character this could be potentially crippling, SMS has such an incredible toolkit that a skilled player can potentially negate these downsides with ease. For example: his mobility is extremely dominant, which means he can control the terms of engagement easily; he has at least one projectile at any given moment, which gives him a method of applying pressure against defensive characters; his standard homing attack, while possible to be countered by certain melee attacks, applies incredible amounts of pressure against some characters due to its lack of downtime when clashing against attacks.

This is all to neglect mentioning Hyper Mystic Sonic, which, while rare, can lead to SMS completely shutting down any possible attempt at engagement on a Control Point due to its lethality, area of influence, and the duration of the attack.

One move that I absolutely cannot stand is the Comet Haymaker and how it interacts with enemy players by forcing them to respond to a Quick Time Event. Never do this in an online environment like SRB2's. Any player that's sitting above 115 ping is simply trashed due to the fact they physically cannot respond in time to defend against the attack. And even if that weren't the case, it's impossible for me to describe just how obnoxious it to be on the receiving end of this, as I get BTFO'd and my extra shields removed at random if I get hit, and I'm pretty much just forced to respond to a single move in SMS's kit with an arbitrary button press which is completely detached from the rest of the game's logic or physics. Furthermore, I don't understand what the appropriate counterplay is supposed to be for a move like this, since he's apparently invulnerable for the duration of this attack and all you can do is QTE if you want to avoid it; based on what I've seen from its abuse online, my current assumption is that there isn't a counterplay.

With all of this on the table, losing shield abilities and asking the player to recollect thirty rings when they get hit really isn't a big ask. For comparison, Tails requires thirty rings just to carry his maximum amount of buzz sentries, and while that allows him to apply a decent amount of pressure safely, it's nowhere near as powerful as what SMS's thirty rings allows him to do. And once Sonic transforms, the challenge becomes about being able to hit him at all, and while this is possibly more doable in modes like CTF and CP which have centralized objectives, an additional +25 points is something of a joke reward in Battle -- especially since a rival SMS is probably going to get those points off of him anyway.

There are counter-relationships to the character as-is, though it's a bit situationally dependent. Amy is a great counter-pick since her twinspin out-prioritizes SMS's homing attack and her charm beam de-transforms SMS entirely. Fang's cork is largely ineffective against an aggressive SMS, but his bombs are fairly decent at playing keep-away. Metal Sonic cannot catch SMS, but he can at least tank hits and retaliate with energy blasts in close quarters. On the flipside, vanilla Sonic seems to be at a total loss, as SMS's homing attack does not seem to suffer downtime during conflicts. Tails vs SMS is something of a stalemate. I haven't had enough time to gauge Knuckles' relationship.

In summary, the core transformation and anti-shield system applied to SMS is actually a good system to use for him, but there are certain variables and attributes to his collective toolkit that I think need to be re-examined before I could ever personally consider adding him onto one of my servers.
  • Comet Haymaker outright needs to be removed from his options or its player interaction entirely redesigned for these modes, and the homing attack ought to have enforced downtime when hitting foes.
  • SMS players should not receive any points bonus for de-transforming an enemy SMS, since all this is doing right now is encouraging SMS players to farm off of each other for points. Additionally I would consider raising the reward from 75 to 100 points to make the cost-benefit more proportional. (After all, de-transforming SMS is basically akin to "killing" him, isn't it?)
  • I would reduce HMS's transform time from 20 seconds to 8-10 seconds. That's still plenty of time to clear out an area and kill at least a couple people, 20 seconds is just complete overkill.
  • I would consider upping the initial transform requirement from 30 rings to 50 rings.

Bear in mind that balance for competitive multiplayer is largely a matter of trial and error. I must have updated Battle something like fifty times since its initial release, and many of the changes I make are due to balance considerations. As critical as my analysis may seem, it's kind of a feat that SMS is even as balanced as it is on its release. I am not sure how aware you were aware of the shield stacking system I added in a recent update, but this at least partially helped to make SMS's glassy nature more apparent. His biggest issue in the format right now is simply that the strengths still outweigh the weaknesses, and I would attribute this largely due to a few of his moves having polarizing qualities to them that don't suit the format very well. But making him actually balanced for the mode, at this point, seems surprisingly doable.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back