Suggestions

I'm not sure whether this is possible or not, but it would be enormously helpful.

More object and state slots, especially state slots: Currently, only 128 objects and 768 states can be included with a single mod. This presents a significant problem for a mod that includes a lot of complex SOCed enemies/bosses/gimmicks. The two bosses that I have developed so far for Whackjood's level collab take up ~30 objects and ~275 states combined, and that's when they're using the RunSOC command! At this rate, custom bosses and enemies for all of the zones will be completely impossible. Even a small increase in slots, such as 192 objects and 1024 states, would be incredibly helpful, although larger increases, such as 256 objects and 1536 states, would be even more beneficial. Yes, I know 2.1 is Lua-compatible, and I've worked with Lua before, so I know it doesn't use slots. Still, though, I find SOCing much easier and more efficient than using Lua, and a lot of others probably do as well. Surely it must be possible to modify the SRB2 EXE so it can register more object and state slots?

Last edited:
Bring back the old save system or at least make it possible for SRB2 to save other maps like SRB1 or Mystic Realm Second Quest. It might bring the difficulty down for all mods.

I really hate the fact that when I play the SRB1 remake I am basically FORCED to play as sonic,the only way I can play as any other character is by going on multiplayer mode and force the skin I want to play as, I mean, I get it that you play as sonic for nostalgia, but its just not right to FORCE me to play as him, if I want to play as sonic, I'll play as sonic, but its just so odd that you'r FORCING us to do it...

sorry for the TL;DR had to get the point across... ^~^'

The issue is more that the levels for SRB1 were designed for an engine without flight or other abilities (including the thok, for that matter). There's nothing to explore or see when using the other character's abilities, so there's not much of a reason to let players use someone other than Sonic (or Knuckles, in the stages designed for him).

Hints of technology in the earlier parts of RVZ1. It's just stupid to suddenly stumble across a room filled with mechanical stuff when the areas before the room didn't have any technology at all.

A new type of parameter linedef that runs on level load, which checks all tagged sectors for the presence of single player starts. If found, and the player's ability is equal to the linedef's front side X offset, then the player gets spawned on those starts rather than the first ones found like usual. Additional linedef flag to also check the Y offset for ability2. This would allow map designers to have Knuckles spawn in a different location like in Sonic 3, for instance.

Execute linedef trigger by stepping in a sequence of sectors

The player needs to step in a sequence of sectors to execute a linedef. For example, I want the player to step in the sectors #1, #2, #3 and #4, in this order, to open a secret passage. If the player fails at doing so, for instance, by stepping in a wrong sector, the trigger is reset and the player will need to restart the procedure.

A linedef flag can be set to execute an alternative linedef trigger if the player fails at doing the sequence.

Execute linedef trigger by stepping in a sequence of sectors

The player needs to step in a sequence of sectors to execute a linedef. For example, I want the player to step in the sectors #1, #2, #3 and #4, in this order, to open a secret passage. If the player fails at doing so, for instance, by stepping in a wrong sector, the trigger is reset and the player will need to restart the procedure.

A linedef flag can be set to execute an alternative linedef trigger if the player fails at doing the sequence.
You mean like the EGGMAN buttons in Sonic Adventure? You can already do this. Give the first sector a linedef executor that changes the tag of the second sector to the second linedef executor. Make triggering this one change the tag of the third sector, etc. Then just have the "wrong" executors set the tags of all the sectors but the first one back to "wrong".

The only "problem" with this is that other players can help out, which might or not be what you intended.

It might mess up a bit in coop mode when two players step on a button at the same time, or if one person just stands on one button the entire time, or if there are two people standing on different buttons the entire time. It might have to reset when everyone is off, but that would be problematic. I guess you would just have to test the gimmick in coop mode with these scenarios.

I think I even had to remove the button gimmick in IPZ2 in SRB1 remake in coop mode because of some things I wasn't able to figure out how to fix.

The issue is more that the levels for SRB1 were designed for an engine without flight or other abilities (including the thok, for that matter). There's nothing to explore or see when using the other character's abilities, so there's not much of a reason to let players use someone other than Sonic (or Knuckles, in the stages designed for him).

I don't really see what the fuss is about it. You could at the very least let the players have their skins Tails or Knuckles when ever they want in multiplayer.

I Agree, even though i'm only a sonic user. =p
People should be able to use any character they want in a netgame, even if it's gonna be really easy with knux or tails.

Add a flag to Rope Hangs to optionally execute a Linedef Executor when a player grabs onto it. Alternatively, have LE sector types applied to a Rope Hang's control sector exhibit similar behavior. I can see a lot of use out of such, particularly in using stationary hangs as pull-down levers. Right now, applying such a sector type will work like any other FOF, which kind of works, but also makes it possible to trigger such an exec without actually grabbing on.

I don't really see what the fuss is about it. You could at the very least let the players have their skins Tails or Knuckles when ever they want in multiplayer.
Really, the way SRB1 mode is designed depends on forcing the character change. In multiplayer, you can always change back, but in single player, you wouldn't be able to change to Knuckles for his levels, then back to Sonic afterwards.

The SRB1 levels are not designed well for knuckles or tails for the most part. I think some levels might be even impossible with knuckles lower jump height, or at least very annoying. If the srb1 levels did have all players selectable, then every level would require major changes (well maybe except the ones that were designed for knuckles in mind). For that to happen, it would require more sectors and FOFs to make it harder for knuckles/tails to just climb/fly through the whole level without much of a challenge. Also take into consideration that the no climb flag does not work in 2D mode.

The SRB1 levels are not designed well for knuckles or tails for the most part.
There were other characters than Sonic in SRB1? If not, I'd consider making SRB1 levels Sonic-only, since these levels are there for legacy reason, well I think so.

The same criterion was applied for lava in Mystic Realm: when I started to help with porting MR to SRB2ME, lava was solid, like in RVZ; I made it liquid because lava was liquid during SRB2 1.09.4 era. I used the "legacy reason" as a criterion for the port.

There were Knuckles levels, but he didn't have any exclusive abilities, if I recall correctly. He was just a Sonic reskin.

You should revert the character WAD restrictions, or at least relax them. I know you meant well, but ringslinger has plenty of uses that aren't related to terrible OCs.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back