WAD level starting as first level in a new save file

One of the rules for the OLDC is that your level has to be the first level that comes up when you start a new save file. Right now, to play my WAD level, you have to start a level, and then go into the console and do "MAP (level)".
Does anyone know how I can make it come up automatically?

Well, in the level header, if you assign the “Level n” tag to “Level 1” or “Level 01” I’m pretty sure that it would spawn you in your map first instead of GFZ1, just remember that you have to do the entirety of the level header for this to work. (since once you override a existing level’s Level Header, the game will automatically reset that Level Header, therefore lacking the necessary parameters will cause the game to have errors in your level or glitch out)

In case you haven’t heard of the Level/Map Header, this guide on the wiki should help you out.

Well, in the level header, if you assign the “Level n” tag to “Level 1” or “Level 01” I’m pretty sure that it would spawn you in your map first instead of GFZ1, just remember that you have to do the entirety of the level header for this to work. (since once you override a existing level’s Level Header, the game will automatically reset that Level Header, therefore lacking the necessary parameters will cause the game to have errors in your level or glitch out)

In case you haven’t heard of the Level/Map Header, this guide on the wiki should help you out.

Instead of making the map MAP01, you could also make a MainCfg
block in your SOCs, typically the MAINCFG lump, and then set the SPStage_Start parameter to your map number.

So after I put everything in my level header, I would do “Level n = MAPxx (xx being the numbers that I named my map with)? I don’t have any custom SOC’s, so could I just do the level header thing?

Or would I do Level n = 1 so that my level would start first?

Last edited:
So after I put everything in my level header, I would do “Level n = MAPxx (xx being the numbers that I named my map with)? I don’t have any custom SOC’s, so could I just do the level header thing?

Correct, just make sure that all the necessary information is in the Level Header to not cause any bugs. The level header itself is part of a SOC file you put inside a WAD or PK3 file.

Edit: For reference, visit the WAD File and PK3 section of the wiki for more info and how to get the SOC inserted.

Edit 2: If you are using MainCFG, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t matter what number it is, but if it is through the Level Header, it should be either “Level 01” or “Level 1”

Last edited:
Correct, just make sure that all the necessary information is in the Level Header to not cause any bugs. The level header itself is part of a SOC file you put inside a WAD or PK3 file.

Thanks, if my map name was MAP56 (that’s the name of the wad, not what it will look like in game), I would do “Level n = MAP56”. If that doesn’t work, I could try setting it to 1 or 01.

Thanks, if my map name was MAP56 (that’s the name of the wad, not what it will look like in game), I would do “Level n = MAP56”. If that doesn’t work, I could try setting it to 1 or 01.

That’s pretty much the basis. The Level Header can also contain stuff like custom music (which is also part of the Music/ file in a PK3) or Act numbers, etc... So it’s pretty important to have in the WAD/PK3

That’s pretty much the basis. The Level Header can also contain stuff like custom music (which is also part of the Music/ file in a PK3) or Act numbers, etc... So it’s pretty important to have in the WAD/PK3

Thanks a lot, I have some custom music too but I know how to do that. Make sure you play the OLDC levels so you can find mine :)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back