Techno Legacy is bad?

Icarus

Phantasy Savior
I forgot to make that thread earlier but I just wanted to say that this level is a bit of a disappointment for getting half of the emblems in this game...

If I wanted nostalgia I would've gone for either Greenflower from the Final Demo days or I would've kept the original purple water with both acts...

I personally prefer the Final Demo Zone mod over this one.

I think of all the stages from older SRB2 games, this was the best choice. It's the most different compared to how GFZ1, 2, and THZ1 to their current designs. Meanwhile final demo CEZ1 and 2 are just kind of bad.

I will say I have been thinking "Final Demo Zone" replacing it would be cool.

Techno Legacy makes no sense.

• It's a terrible stage.
  • By making the acid green, it fails at being nostalgic.
  • It adds an extra pointless row to the Bonus Stage section of Level Select, unbalancing the design of the menu.
  • It has no associated emblems or records.
  • It's a bizarre reward for 100 emblems. Stuff like Final Demo Zone or ACZ Museum make more sense as an "in-dev unlockable".
  • The only good part of the stage (the emblem that you get by going through an acid-filled pseudo-zoomtube) was removed.
Really, why does it exist?

Last edited:
Yes, Techno Legacy is most definitely disappointing to unlock, and once the opportunity arises it should be replaced with Final Demo Zone, as that level is much better and is a great way to honor the early days.

The reasoning behind Techno Legacy, as members of dev have said, is that it's the best level of the Final Demo days whose layout hasn't been preserved as of 2.2. I think it's a much better inclusion than the entirety of the final demo's campaign crammed into one would have been (we saw what happens when you cram multiple stages into one with Aerial Garden). Unfortunately, the level feels very uninteresting to play and featureless compared to the vibrant, varied levels of the current game, which goes to show that incorporating such extremely old levels into modern SRB2 doesn't really work anymore. I wouldn't be the least bit upset if Techno Legacy was removed from the game.

I do want to say that I think changing the slime to green was a good decision, because liquids in the game are very strongly color-coded (red/orange = lava, blue = water, purple = buoyant goop) and it would be confusing for a purple liquid to instead damage you. I don't think damaging liquids that you can fall into belong in the game at all though. They're just a very uninteresting hazard, and it's an enormous deterrence to recollect rings and make your way back up before your brief invincibility wears off.

Last edited:
For a 100 emblem unlock, a simplistic level with no emblems at all feels a bit anti-climactic. I would fully support replacing it with something more detailed and up to modern game standards.

Perhaps the community can help pick a level that would be worth getting 100 emblems for, or create one (ie. something that you can't just download separately).

I'm going to be honest, for the effort it takes to get 100 emblems, it's a piece of shit as an unlockable. I think something better could've been in it's place, as a great example, Final Demo Zone. I think that many more ideas could've happened other than a butchered port of 2.0's THZ2, I mean, come on.

I honestly think the presentation of the level was bad. There is no context given to the level other than it's an old version of the stage. In game you're never told that it was for 2.1.

A better reward for 100 emblems could be something like a "Champions Road" or "Darker Side" of some sorts to show how far you've gone. It could be like SA2's final level where you switch characters in different sections and sections are designed specifically for that character only. I'd take that over a barren level that isn't fun in any way, but that's just me.

Personally, I'd rather see legacy content stay in the realm of addons, but I'm likely in the minority there.

Personally, I'd rather see legacy content stay in the realm of addons, but I'm likely in the minority there.
I agree here. I don't really get why so many people want to play outdated content in 2.2, because when something is changed in the game, it's usually for a good reason. This fully applies to Techno Legacy compared to the current THZ2, especially with the obnoxious poison slime.

While we're discussing ancient stages that are in the game for no obvious reason, I also don't care for Christmas Chime.

I'll keep it short; I don't quite like Techno Legacy. I'm in Sev's group of people here, in that I think outdated content shouldn't be a part of vanilla. It feels kinda silly to me.

Honestly I was kind of disappointed back then when I unlocked it. I was at least expecting emblems to be there. Something like Final Demo Zone would've made more sense.

But then again if I wanted to play 1.09.4 I could've downloaded it from the archive. (I did not too long ago and 100%ed it. It's fun to go back and see what it was like before. Thanks for the archive!)

While it is neat to see old content like this make its way to the final version, as a way to signify how far we've come, Techno Legacy is just... not very interesting. It's short, it's bland, there's not much to it, and it's so far outstripped by THZ2 that it honestly devalues it further.

Forest Fortress, by comparison, is much more appealing -- it's not just a worse copy of CEZ1 and it has longer and more interesting level design. I wouldn't mind seeing more indev content like that be included instead of "hey, remember when x level used to suck?".

While it is neat to see old content like this make its way to the final version, as a way to signify how far we've come, Techno Legacy is just... not very interesting. It's short, it's bland, there's not much to it, and it's so far outstripped by THZ2 that it honestly devalues it further.

Forest Fortress, by comparison, is much more appealing -- it's not just a worse copy of CEZ1 and it has longer and more interesting level design. I wouldn't mind seeing more indev content like that be included instead of "hey, remember when x level used to suck?".
Big agree here. Forest Fortress is an enjoyable level that fits very well as bonus content and has plenty of interesting areas that didn't make it into the final CEZ1, as well as a very unique aesthetic. It's absolutely ridiculous how much more interesting it is than Techno Legacy.

If we do want to keep some kind of legacy stage in as an unlockable, I put a vote in to polish up one of the more finished ACZ2 versions from the released ACZ museum and use that as replacement for Techno Legacy, in the same vein that Forest Fortress exists as an older - until 2.2 unseen - version of CEZ.

solution:
every copy of SRB2 is personalized.
every downloaded copy of SRB2 is different; instead of techno legacy, you get a random version of a random level.
also, if youre (un)lucky, while on DSZ1, in the tower from the end of the level, if you go up, depending on your copy, you may find a floating robotnik head at the top of the staircase. if you stay there for too long, itll start chasing you, trying to eat you. the only way to escape is to go through the end goal post again.
I KID.

honestly, i have no idea what could replace TLZ. its boring, but i mean. its not like theres other interesting versions of the game's levels. uhmm..... maybe the original CEZ? but we already have a version of CEZ as an unlockable, so uhh. maybe not.
yeah im at a loss here.
oh wait,
i know,
MINE MAZE

[gets catapulted into the sun]
(or maybe actually bring back rocky mountain? or a SRB2 christmas level. emerald coast perhaps?????? i dont know, for real. id say bring back dark city, but dark city is already planned to come back in the story mode......)

While a repeat of what is mostly everyone's thoughts here, I think Techno Legacy is a horrible unlockable, Final Demo Zone would've been a much, MUCH better unlock to honour SRB2's past instead of some half assed THZ2 port that tries to hold up with the rest of the game by changing the goop into acid (Acid in my mind is still instant kill, 2.0 taught me that!) but has mostly all of its fun taken away because the conveyor spin bug is patched, and the emblems are removed, further discouraging anyone from bothering to ever play it again.

I think ACZ2 museum is also a very strong contender for an unlockable that could replace, or even better, just be alongside Final Demo Zone.

Arid Canyon act 2 Dev version. Latest build from the museum with everything fixed up including emblems and a proper exit after the minecart.

and/Or Final Demo zone.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back