Suggestions

In addition, Doomship would have to go by the name Grand Eggship which is what the plan is now, to prevent abbreviated confusion with Deep Sea

Even though I don't use custom 3D models in Sonic Robo Blast 2 myself anymore, I'd still like to suggest the following things for the OpenGL model configuration file:
- Make each line start with "Skin XXXX YYYY" or "Sprite XXXX YYYY", with "XXXX" being the skin- or sprite-name, and "Skin" only applying to player skins and "Sprite" only applying to non-player object sprites, and with "YYYY" being the model's filename or such.
- Allow models containing just the above with no other information per line, but allow the two following things to optionally also be specified (on the same line, in any order):
- A "Scale" option, defaulting to 1.0, to determine how big the model should be in-game. (This is what the third option in the current "md2.dat"(?) file does.)
- An "Interpolate" option, defaulting to whatever the below console variable prefers, but allow this "Interpolate" option to be set to "Never", "Prefer Not", "Prefer", or "Always" (not with those names, they're not good in this context). It'd default to something unspecifiable between "Prefer Not" and "Prefer" (which should be used by simply not setting "Interpolate").
- Change the model-enabling console variable to just be on/off (instead of on (interpolated)/off/"old" (non-interpolated)), and then add a new console variable for model interpolation. It should have values for "forced off", "prefer off", "default off", "default on", "prefer on", and "forced on" (again, maybe not with those names). "Forced on/off" would fully override the "Interpolate" setting above. "Prefer on/off" would override the "Prefer Not" and "Prefer" settings, but not the "Never" or "Always" settings. "Default on/off" would be used if there's no "Interpolate" setting in the model definition. This console variable should default to the "default on" option.

So, in other words, make it mandatory to specify whether a model definition is for a skin or a sprite, just for more "consistency" (and for avoiding potential trouble with 4-letter skins with the same name as a sprite), make the "scale" option optional, get rid of the old "offset" option, add a new "interpolate" option, and make a new interpolation console variable. The priority order for whether or not a model should be interpolated would be as follows, from most priority to least priority:
- The console variable, set to "forced off" or "forced on".
- The model definition, set to "never" or "always".
- The console variable, set to "prefer off" or "prefer on".
- The model definition, set to "prefer off" or "prefer on".
- The console variable, set to "default off" or "default on".

The above could be useful in some situations, for example to allow model interpolation for player characters while not using interpolation for other things where it'd look bad (e.g. vanilla Brak Eggman, due to its instant movement tied to Brak's animation frame timing).

Another thing to consider might be to separate the model definitions into separate files. For example, you might have "Sonic.md3", "Sonic.png", "Sonic_blend.png", and "Sonic.txt", with the TXT file being the model definition. (You would then get rid of the model filename part of the definition, but still keep "Skin XXXX" / "Sprite XXXX".)

One more thing to consider would be an "Offset" option for each model definition, followed by 3 numbers (which'd default to 0.0, 0.0, and 0.0), to visually offset the model within SRB2, but I'd say that making people have to centre their model correctly in the first place in modelling/animating programs would be a "better" option than that.
(TL;DR: "Modernize" the custom 3D model definition, by using defaults for unspecified settings and allowing the settings to come in any order based on "key" names. Additionally set up a "hierarchy"/"priority" system for whether or not a model should be interpolated, so that model makers can have certain models interpolated and others not at the same time (but still allowing players to override it globally if they please).)

Option to choose style of music.

Since SRB2 2.2's gonna have new music, how about an option to choose between the new or the old music? (I'm not saying I don't like the new music, it's actually pretty good, but for those who like the old music for nostalgic reasons, that will be a treat for them.)

For co-operative multiplayer, allowing players to respawn with a ring might be nice. As it currently is (0 rings upon respawning), without item respawning, players risk all rings in front of them having already been taken by other people or even themselves in a past life, giving them no defence against potential hazards ahead.
And with item respawning, players can just backtrack to re-grab a ring if they git hit, or keep taking the same ring over and over to get extra lives or such.
In my opinion, neither option is optimal when players don't respawn with at least 1 ring.
(Yes, if respawning with a ring, players may get hit, give their ring to someone else, suicide, respawn with a ring, get hit, and give their ring to someone else again, over and over, also abusing this system... but at least that's a far more tedious process to do than to just re-grab a ring with item respawning enabled.)

Also for co-operative multiplayer (and maybe for singleplayer too?), an "infinite lives" option might be nice. The way that I see it, an extra lives system doesn't reward good players (if you don't die, there's no difference between having a lot of lives and having infinite lives), only punish bad ones (if you die, you might run out of lives. Unless you have a continue, which are also limited, this will send you back to the start of a zone in singleplayer, or force you to just spectate other players for the rest of the stage in co-operative multiplayer).
TL;DR: Options for respawning with rings in co-operative multiplayer and having infinite lives in co-operative multiplayer and maybe singleplayer might be nice.

Since SRB2 2.2's gonna have new music, how about an option to choose between the new or the old music? (I'm not saying I don't like the new music, it's actually pretty good, but for those who like the old music for nostalgic reasons, that will be a treat for them.)

This would bloat music.dta to extreme levels. There are some tracks I genuinely think are worth including in addition to the new music (Including some internal beta music), but on the whole, it's really not worth having the old iterations of the music in the music file.

I think some kind of timer to skip the level (like the ones that Competition/Race has) for Co-op would be a good idea. It would fix the problems with "AFK" host or players in a server but specifically the problems with players that doesn't knows how to play/finish a level since some of them takes a lot of time to get a game over.

Last edited:
I think some kind of timer to skip the level (like the ones that Competition/Race has) for Co-op would be a good idea. It would fix the problems with "AFK" host or players in a server but specifically the problems with players that doesn't knows how to play/finish a level since some of them takes a lot of time to get a game over.

To be honest to turn that into a vanilla feature would do nothing but defeat the purpose of Coop, since it's a game mode designed to let everyone play the campaign together, and a strict time limit goes against that by definition. The thing with the game over-triggered level skip is that the game expects everyone to have a reasonable amount of lives so that they will game-over after a reasonable number of deaths, but since most servers usually turn cheats on and let everyone prance with 99 starting lives, a game over becomes very easy to avoid and that's not an issue we can pin on the vanilla game.

2.2 is going to introduce new level finish quotas (Half and 3/4) that can help mitigate the problem of players being unable to finish for whatever reason, and if one can't put up with waiting for every one else to finish, I can only understand it so far as the fact that you literally can't move while at it. What I think that would actually be of great help in that regard would be the introduction of AFKing in the game as it's featured in already existing scripts, however.

For the CTF MATCH TAG players here . I think a newer system for shooting , models of crosshair to choose , raw input for stability of aim , better sensitivity system like to have only one bar for this not two , the benefit of changing the character when you are died instead of going spectator and after choose it and respawn , and will be cool once a year when is the game anniversary to have special maps , special characters and stabile servers for it :) . I'm not too familiar with this Doom Engine but you changed a lot of the engine , and I think you can do this become real ;) . Now we should wait and see what future and STJR team is giving to us keep up with the good work

Sent from my SM-G960F using ********

This would bloat music.dta to extreme levels. There are some tracks I genuinely think are worth including in addition to the new music (Including some internal beta music), but on the whole, it's really not worth having the old iterations of the music in the music file.
In that case, would it be ok if one of us released a music pack of old music after 2.2 got released? (SRB2 the Past is going to need the old music regardless)

I don't think anyone's going to have a problem with that, particularly in the case of SRB2 the Past in which the intention would be to archive historical content.

Ohhh... Ok then.

Tails while flying should be able to cancel his flight by pressing the Spin Key.
The Spin button is already used for simply descending faster while flying (which can be pretty important for quick and/or precise maneuvering sometimes), though.
And there aren't really any other "free" controls that could just be used for it, either.

Ignoring that, though, just thinking about the concept of cancelling flight... I don't know. That could take away some of the "risk" of, for example, flying over enemies.

This can probably look needless.

Two (Ogg) musics has exactly the same minutes and seconds, with the same loop point too. They are not different than the other (one with drums, and one with no drums). Then you trigger an action that does this: The first playing music's duration will be copied, the second music loads and then continue playing at the same duration the first music stopped (This is exactly like M&L 3, when you switch playability from Mario & Luigi to Bowser, music's segments changes). So the main suggestion is that it would be great to make a feature that loads to other music and continue playing in the duration the last music stopped. This can be used when you enter in caves or houses, then it loads a music with no drums and continue playing at this music's duration. I would really like to see a feature like that.

Two (Ogg) musics has exactly the same minutes and seconds, with the same loop point too. They are not different than the other (one with drums, and one with no drums). Then you trigger an action that does this: The first playing music's duration will be copied, the second music loads and then continue playing at the same duration the first music stopped (This is exactly like M&L 3, when you switch playability from Mario & Luigi to Bowser, music's segments changes). So the main suggestion is that it would be great to make a feature that loads to other music and continue playing in the duration the last music stopped. This can be used when you enter in caves or houses, then it loads a music with no drums and continue playing at this music's duration. I would really like to see a feature like that.

This would actually also be handy for having bosses add in instruments when they take a certain amount of damage, for instance. However, this /might/ be able to be done with Lua now. But I'm uncertain.

Basically you're asking for dynamic music.

There was some interest in 'dev for trying something like this, but to my understanding it would be much easier (and cleaner) to accomplish this if we were using a different audio codec. I don't know if the discussion ever advanced much beyond that.

Isn't what Panda is suggesting already possible, though? The changelog for 2.1.24 mentions some Lua stuffs being added that should make it possible. The new S_ChangeMusic function can specify the position from which to start the music. If there's also a way to grab the position of the current song to feed to the function then it should make doing what Panda wanted possible, no? Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Back