Character Randomizer

[Open Assets] Character Randomizer v3.1

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Nightwolf

What if...
Character Randomizer

This mod randomizes characters during gameplay. The script puts all currently loaded characters into a skin table and then picks a random skin from it for every player. The skins will stay only for a limited time, after which a new one is chosen.

Commands
cr_enable <0/1> - enable or disable this mod. (default: 1)
cr_time <1-3600> - set the time between skin changes in seconds. (default: 30)*
cr_skin list - print all currently loaded skins.
cr_skin add <skin name> - add a skin to the skin table.
cr_skin remove <skin name> - remove a skin from the skin table.
cr_skin reload - add all available characters to the skin table.
cr_ultimate <0/1> - enable or disable the ultimate skin randomization. (default: 0)* EPILEPSY WARNING
cr_timeoffset <0-900> - change the maximum difference between the time defined in cr_time command and skin time a player will get in seconds. (default: 0 - disabled)*
cr_shownextskin <0/1> - show the next skin you will get (default: 0 - off)*
cr_showtimer <0/1> - enable or disable the skin time clock (default: 1)*
cr_sa2random <0/1> - enable or disable skin changing only after map change. (default: 0)

* this command won't do anything when cr_sa2random is enabled.

Changelog
Version 3
-Added cr_shownextskin command (request by Magnemania)
-Added cr_showtimer command (request by Solid SOAP)
-Fixed cr_sa2random not working properly with newly joined non-host players (glitch found by Apollyon Woman)

Version 2
-Added cr_sa2random command (request by Icarus)
-Added cr_timeoffset command
-Fixed record attack glitches (glitches found by cookiefonster)
-Fixed splitscreen timer HUD bug (glitch found by Eis-Kold)
-Disabled in-game demos using MainCfg

Version 1
-Initial release

Credits
- GreffMASTER - beta testing
- people from #srb2-memery - some important ideas
- Icarus - cr_sa2random command idea
- Magnemania - cr_shownextskin command idea
- Solid SOAP - cr_showtimer command idea
- cookiefonster, Apollyon Woman and Eis-Kold - finding bugs in this mod
Have fun!

Attachments

• srb20057.gif
    srb20057.gif
    7.3 MB · Views: 1,668
  • srb20058.gif
    srb20058.gif
    6.1 MB · Views: 1,232
  • srb20122.png
    srb20122.png
    281.6 KB · Views: 918
  • srb20060.gif
    srb20060.gif
    3.9 MB · Views: 1,128
  • srb20061.gif
    srb20061.gif
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,413
  • srb20136small.png
    srb20136small.png
    443.3 KB · Views: 1,108
  • VL_CharRandom-v3.pk3
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,979
Last edited:
This immediately turns into a clown fiesta as soon as any custom characters are added, which I assume was the intention all along.

Welcome to Releases!

Omfg this sounds like a blast. Will download.

Was just fooling around with it. Fun! However only the vanilla characters seem to work atm, unless I just have bad luck. Do I need to put them in myself via commands?

Last edited:
By the way is there a way to randomize character per levels a la SA2 randomized? If no it's not a big problem, I would still play with it for fun.

Omfg this sounds like a blast. Will download.

Was just fooling around with it. Fun! However only the vanilla characters seem to work atm, unless I just have bad luck. Do I need to put them in myself via commands?

If you loaded custom character mods after this mod, you have to put "cr_skin reload" in the console to make them work.

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

By the way is there a way to randomize character per levels a la SA2 randomized? If no it's not a big problem, I would still play with it for fun.

Currently it's not possible, but I may add this in a future version of this mod.

Small bug(?) report!

Currently, the mod functions awkwardly in split-screen. Both timers are on the top right part of the screen (overlapping each other), which normally isn't a problem - but if a player dies, that player's new timer will overlap the other, resulting in difficulty telling when the timers end. Technically isn't a bug if support was never intended, but is worth noting.

Turning on half the board's custom characters and setting the timer to 7 seconds has given me one of the most fun experiences I've had in a while.

If you mean changing to a random character whenever you start a new map, toaster's "Character Diceroll" mod does that already, but this mod could still aim for that feature!

Last edited:
Grabbing tons of characters from the MB and turning on "Identity Crisis Mode" is probably the best thing I've ever experienced.

If you mean changing to a random character whenever you start a new map, toaster's "Character Diceroll" mod does that already, but this mod could still aim for that feature!
I suddenly feel stupid for forgetting that this LUA existed... Thanks for the reminder!

Last edited:
This mod is a lot more fun than I expected! It kind of gives a similar vibe to Encore Mode in Sonic Mania, where all six playable characters are participating and taking turns except you don't get to decide who goes next.

One suggestion: I think the Fang and Metal Sonic bosses should always be gray clones in the mod, because there's a chance you could encounter regular Fang or Metal when playing as them and it would get confusing, and also make no sense.

I'd also love to see record attack fixed up a bit in this mod. Currently, with this mod and the Custom Gamedata SOC, record attack ghosts output texture errors to the top of the screen and show the wrong character, while record attack replays have the character remain the same color as whoever you started playing as.

Last edited:
Version 2 of Character Randomizer has been released!
View the changelog for more information about the update.

Version 2 of Character Randomizer has been released!
View the changelog for more information about the update.
Version 2
-Added cr_sa2random command (request by Icarus)

Thank you a lot! I'll try this mod as soon as I have free access to my PC.

By chance, would it be possible to get a toggle that allows us to see the name of the next skin below the countdown? It would be nice to be able to plan around the incoming character.

By chance, would it be possible to get a toggle that allows us to see the name of the next skin below the countdown? It would be nice to be able to plan around the incoming character.

Yes, it is possible, but I will have to change how the skins are picked. Currently they are picked in real time, so the script doesn't have any information about the next skin.

Last edited:
Is there any way to obscure the timer? Or even randomize that in and of itself? I think it not existing would actually had a bit of fun to the mod.

On a semi unrelated note, a fun way to tinker with this may be to make the random character loop Modern/Neo Sonic and the Werehog. Kinda like a Sonic Unleashed mode but actually fun.

------

Might be a dumb question, but what ARE the names of each character skin???

I tried to remove Sonic, for example, and typed in "cr_skin remove <sonic>" and it did nothing.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back