Latest Lua (2.2.0) Discussion

Revolution

I've been recently having a problem with loading Luas in 2.2.0. I don't know if it everyone facing this problem or if it's just me, but here it goes:

Normally, I would be loading Luas just fine, but as of today they seem to have a problem with me. Every time I load ANY Lua (no matter how big or small, by itself or in a .wad/.pk3) in SRB2 v2.2.0, the game lags by a little bit, but alot in CEZ2. But if mods don't have any Luas at all, depending on the size they run as normal or considerably normal. The game never used to do this to me before. I would know. I used to be playing with multiple Luas at a time with no problems whatsoever.

In a .pk3, any Lua placed in a folder called "Lua" would lag the game, but if named anything else the game would not lag because the game wouldn't need to read it in the first place. I've tried deleted the configuration, updating SLADE3 to the latest version, deleting old data, lowering draw distance, playing at lower resolution (640 x 480 is as low as I will ever go), turning off VSync, and even downloading 2.2.0 again, but nothing worked. And I know it's NOT my PC, despite the fact that my PC might be really poor in quality, the game ran CEZ2 with considerable lag (without mods with Luas), lag that I can actually COMPLETE the level with.

Someone please help me. I don't know if I can ever play another mod at this rate. There's just no point knowing that I'm going to face inevitable lag, and I really do NOT want to skip CEZ2 because it's one of my favorite stages in the game and it ties the game together.

So can anyone help me fix this?

Last edited:
Loading any lua (even a blank script) enables the lua loading code, which does make the game run a bit worse. CEZ2 is also one of the worst-running stages in the game, so of course it runs worse with lua. You said "I know it's NOT my PC," but all evidence points to it indeed being your computer's hardware.

Are you saying that v2.1.25 has something to do with it? Because I have that version on my PC as well.

Last edited:
You will probably need a less recently-boarded developer to back this up, but I do not believe the Lua integration has changed enough to elicit significant performance differences between updates of the game, let alone during the lifespan of a single version. You may have switched your primarily used renderer, or installed other background programs that are using up part of your CPU, or perhaps your hardware is simply aging more rapidly. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of help we can give. Loading a Lua script does initialize the scripting interface and can engage a performance overhead; some of the developers experience it themselves.

While the core Lua API or whatnot may not have significantly changed between versions (I think), it is not impossible that the exes for 2.1.25 and 2.2.0 were compiled differently perhaps. That could also affect Lua's performance (as well as that of CEZ2).

(I don't really know if they were compiled differently tbh, I'm just pulling this out of my hat as a possible explanation.)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back