notSRB3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Core features don't include:

• A real game

Nice job tweaking Cube2 for the mockups, though. Why'd you pick such an old engine? Just make a scene out of primitives in Maya and use that, dude. Far easier, and gives you a lot more effects (raycasting, SSAO, GI, caustics, etc.) to flaunt to anyone you want to fool.

Love the slope physics quip, though!

Last edited:
I say that you went overboard with the shadows in GFZ. The first screenshot looks like it's at sunset and the second has way too much contrast between the area Tails is in and the one right in front. That other level looks rather flat too. I wish you'd show all those features you're promising instead of just visuals.

who would ever need to convert anything from 1.09.4 by now aaa

The requirements say it can run on a computer from 2003, but my compuetr is from 2002. Will I still can able to run it?

• A real game

Nice job tweaking Cube2 for the mockups, though. Why'd you pick such an old engine? Just make a scene out of primitives in Maya and use that, dude. Far easier, and gives you a lot more effects (raycasting, SSAO, GI, caustics, etc.) to flaunt to anyone you want to fool.

Owait I think it's real http://youtu.be/NW5Z-huRjmA

Why'd you pick such an old engine? Just make a scene out of primitives in Maya and use that, dude.

As a programmer, I'd find it much easier to do it this way than make a scene in Maya and whatnot.

I dunno whether I agree or not.
axjkoy.jpg

In image 5, the rings I Hope That You change it, Because That logically combine mode not in, I like his work.

In image 5, the rings I Hope That You change it, Because That logically combine mode not in, I like his work.

I am just a "tad" confused on your comment. I think you are trying to say,
" are you going to change the ring sprites in image 5? I like your work, but i think you should change them."

Hope i helped all you "confused people" and no, i am not trying to make fun of the guy, just mabye his english is not good. Mabye he has another native language.

I am just a "tad" confused on your comment. I think you are trying to say,
" are you going to change the ring sprites in image 5? I like your work, but i think you should change them."

Hope i helped all you "confused people" and no, i am not trying to make fun of the guy, just mabye his english is not good. Mabye he has another native language.

Google translation does not work is a waste of time, is there any way to translate best?.

Your best bet is just learning English. Try to find a book on it. Many people here weren't born knowing English, so I'm sure you can do it too.

Your best bet is just learning English. Try to find a book on it. Many people here weren't born knowing English, so I'm sure you can do it too.

I will try to follow the advice you gave me, thanks friend.

• A real game

Cube 2? Ew, let me rant what's broken with that old thing, engine wise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncR9MhZ-DDY

Physics are awful: No player acceleration or friction(The player instantly accelerates and decelerates). Gravity strength and gravity acceleration are so strong it makes jumping essentially useless. Nothing in that engine is built for any form of platforming whatsoever. Unlike doom or SRB2, you can only strafe in that engine - you can't even turn without using the mouse and the camera!

The lighting and shadows made with Cube 2 have NO shade or variation to them whatsoever. The shadows only use an ambient color, making all shading completely uniform no matter what you do. Models are also poorly rendered with an inaccurate and aesthetically revolting lighting equation that make them look like plastic dipped in grease. The models do not properly adjust to directional lighting either. Additionally, the model shadows do not blend in with any other shadows casted, nor is there any model self shadowing.
Cube 2's renderer is extremely dated and deprecated.

There's an actual Cube 2 mod called tesseract http://github.com/lsalzman/tesseract/ that attempts to "modernize" Cube 2's lighting system, but it only adds realtime lighting to the same decrepit ugly renderer. And even tesseract still looks no better than regular Cube 2 and it still suffers from a terribly deprecated codebase and use of ancient rendering functions.

There's hardly any scripting in the Cube 2 engine, and none of the actual gameplay is scriptable. There's no system to add or define anything but hardcoded objects, and the hardcoded object types are intertwined into Cube 2's map format itself - SRB2 is much more flexible since it at least uses a separate piece of data to define object types and placement in a level! Modding Cube 2 is insanely tedious and hacky - which is why adding a bunch of new textures or media is rarely done in that engine. Even the so called scripting system for that engine is confusing - it's some variant of lisp and its syntax is completely crazy!

Additionally, all levels in Cube 2 use a slot system for EVERYTHING which prevents any maps from properly loading unless you also have an external text file specifically to load and setup their slot numbers. To add to the confusion, whenever you add or change the list of textures/models/etc. you want to add to a level texture slots and model slots often shift too! Making it impossible to properly rearrange textures in a level after you insert new ones.

Making anything with that engine is practically impossible, even the few exe "mods" for Cube 2 still use most of its assets and have a terrible, uniform, drab look to them because of the engine's renderer and various other drawbacks such as a total lack of straight-forward importing of custom textures and sounds.

You can look and what I'm talking about:
http://www.redeclipse.net/
http://www.moddb.com/engines/syntensity
http://www.sandboxgamemaker.com/

Those are using "tweaked Cube2", those are examples of what using an old engine like Cube 2 actually looks like.

And on a programming level nothing is documented in any of those engines! The code has NO COMMENTS whatsoever, deterring practically anyone from seriously understanding how it even works. Unexplained abbreviations are everywhere and that engine's code abuses C++ in ways that don't make any sense at all!

That's just on the engine - The included game "sauerbraten" http://sauerbraten.org/ is awful in all other kinds of ways. And everything related to the sauerbraten's game is hardcoded and basically designed to stay unmodified. Even SRB2 is a little more flexible when it comes to modding gameplay source code!

--

Accusing the screenshots of being made with maya or some external renderer like you did earlier would have been a lot closer.

As a programmer, I'd find it much easier to do it this way than make a scene in Maya and whatnot.

For all the reasons listed above, working with an engine like that would be an absolute nightmare.

Physics are awful: No player acceleration or friction(The player instantly accelerates and decelerates). Gravity strength and gravity acceleration are so strong it makes jumping essentially useless. Nothing in that engine is built for any form of platforming whatsoever. Unlike doom or SRB2, you can only strafe in that engine - you can't even turn without using the mouse and the camera!
I think you should have a look in a community-run and open-source game that I found a few months ago: Warsow

Please, watch the trailer here (http://www.warsow.net/media) or here (http://youtu.be/kUPlwxQ0cC4). You'll notice it resembles a bit the matches in SRB2, specially by the fact the characters have lots of freedom of movement, wall jumping, teleporters, items to pick up, kinetic physics (e.g. currents, sliding) and some kind of "thokking".

EDIT:
I haven't downloaded its source code to look in it and give your an opinion. But it'd be no use since my coding skills is limited to applications for engineering and architecture. :<

Last edited:
Accusing the screenshots of being made with maya or some external renderer like you did earlier would have been a lot closer.

And yet the magician still doesn't reveal his trick.

Honestly, first thing I thought when I saw it was 'Unity'.

Maybe his "brand new hobby" is making mock-up screenshots to irritate us? =P

In all seriousness, a few years ago people would have been all over this, not the least because lolslopes. The lack of real excitement in this topic is an indicator that either the game or the community has progressed to a point where we're satisfied with that crappy old Doom engine as long as the game is good. Or maybe it was actually SRB2CB that taught us that slopes, while cool, are not the holy grail. Thanks for taking the mystery away, Kalaron! ^_~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back