Resource icon
This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Always been tired of the same old charability uses? CA_TELEKINESIS not doing enough for you? This pack attempts to reinvent and expand on the vanilla characters' movesets to give them an extra oomph of speed, while also naturally integrating them into the gameplay without making them stick out...keeping the flow of it.

As of 10/01/2020, only Sonic, Knuckles, Fang and Metal have full, complete moves to play around with, so let's get going!

Sonic's Ability: Homing Attack

attachment.php

Oh no...another CA_HOMINGTHOK...wait. No it's not! The new Zero-In Homing Attack, while it doesn't take advantage of your momentum, adds to your speed and rebounds you high enough to connect extremely long combos at high speeds! It won't just zero-in on enemies, though, it'll zoom towards monitors and springs too, as long as they're in range!
Of course, if they aren't in range, you can always just do a regular thok! It's slower than the normal one, but it'll still get you places when you need it to.

Knuckles' (Extra) Ability: Dive Boost

attachment.php

Not only can Knuckles still glide, latch onto walls and climb across them, but if you hold spin while you glide, you will curl up and descend towards the ground, bouncing off it once. While you're rebounding, you can either let go of spin to start running, keep holding spin to spin when you're on the ground or hold jump to start gliding.
If you're really skilled, you can even chain bounces together for a lot of speed!

Metal's Ability: Boost Jet

attachment.php

Metal used to be able to hover normally, but now he can use his Boost Jet instead! Using the fuel he has, Metal can hover and thrust forward for about a second at a time. This ability is extremely difficult to control, but provides a massive amount of speed!

Tails' (Extra) Ability: Flight Cancel

Although he hasn't gotten the proper Flow treatment yet, Tails still isn't going to be left behind just yet! By pressing spin while flying, Tails can curl up and cancel his flight. What's more, Tails can also continue flying after he cancels, but that won't give him his strength back!
Tails also has a Super form, which allows him to fly infinitely!

Fang's Ability: Bomb Toss

attachment.php

Derived (for better or for worse) from his boss fight, Fang can now throw bombs after pressing spin after jumping! These are thrown as projectiles, and can take out enemies with proper aiming, but beware! You and other players can be damaged, lose rings, or even die if you aren't careful!
(Or maybe that's what you want, I'm not one to judge.)

Fang's Extra Ability: Popgun

Wait...Fang has two abilities? Yep! His popgun has been updated to be able to fire from any point on the ground. No need to keep standing still, just slow down a bit! Unlike other mods however, you can't fire in mid-air for...obvious reasons.

Super Form and Other Changes

attachment.php

Of course, nothing is complete without the extensive cast taking full advantage of the Chaos Emeralds. Sonic, Knuckles and Metal have boosted forms of their new abilities, as well as Sonic retaining his spin-float, Knuckles' glide no longer losing height during use and Metal's Boost Jet rising upward when used. As well as this, both characters can power through spikes just by touching them, though Sonic and his shiny duplicate don't get as powerful as breaking strong bustable walls.
Regardless of Chaos Emeralds though, all three have their spindash speeds buffed quite a bit farther than before, and have a cool little jump effect that's pretty neat.

Things still to come:
Moveset changes for every other character!
More than one move per character.

Changelog:
V1 (03/01/2021): Initial publishing onto the message board.
V1.1 (05/01/2021): A few bugs fixed, along with adding a small air dash for when there are no targets to home in on.
V2 (06/01/2021): Sonic's Backup Thok weakened, plus Metal Sonic revised!
V2.1 (07/01/2021): Completely changed Metal's Super Form, gave Tails a flight cancel/flight continue ability, and allowed every vanilla character to use a Super Form.
V2.2 (08/01/2021): Completely redid Knuckles' Dive Boost + Rebound, fixed some issues with Sonic's Homing Thok, and increased its speed. Also fixed a flight carry bug with Tails.
V3 (10/01/2021): Added FlowFang, decreased the vertical gain of Sonic's Hold-Homing Rebound, increased Knuckles' dive boost rebound height.

Attachments

• srb20107.gif
    4.3 MB · Views: 12,185
  • srb20113.gif
    5.4 MB · Views: 15,187
  • srb20114.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,351
  • srb20116.gif
    895.9 KB · Views: 18,275
  • srb20124.gif
    4.7 MB · Views: 8,903
  • srb20129.gif
    3.5 MB · Views: 6,717
Last edited:
I really like the new "FLOW" of things with this mod ill definitely will be playing this mod later

Finnaly, a homing thok that is way better than the shit that is "CA_HOMINGTHOK".

also, i love the change of knuckles, can't wait to see which abilities you will give to the rest of the vanilla set.

Homing Thok now feels really good!
This helps the flow to be a LOT better and I love it

This Homing Thok is more like the Sonic GT (it's a fangame) Homing Attack+ that is a Sonic-only ability

This needs some work.

First of all, Knuckles' jump sound plays when you roll into the ground from a dive boost:

srb28997.gif

It also has a chance of keeping the glide state, and jumping from it will technically make you jump, but it'll simply take you out of it.

Second of all, was this intentional?:

srb29001.gif

Sonic can't thok, but he can bank a homing attack for the next available target. He can also spam it, so you can replay the thok sound.

One last thing, I think the homing attack trail looks weird. It would work a lot better if it was thok objects or accurately scaled ghosts.

This needs some work.

First of all, Knuckles' jump sound plays when you roll into the ground from a dive boost:

srb28997.gif

It also has a chance of keeping the glide state, and jumping from it will technically make you jump, but it'll simply take you out of it.

Second of all, was this intentional?:

srb29001.gif

Sonic can't thok, but he can bank a homing attack for the next available target. He can also spam it, so you can replay the thok sound.

One last thing, I think the homing attack trail looks weird. It would work a lot better if it was thok objects or accurately scaled ghosts.

aight, let's go through this one by one. i actually have an explanation for each of these, surprisingly enough.

1. the way knuckles' dive boost works is that normally when you reach the ground while gliding, you do a slide on the ground, then get back up. of course, i had to add the spinning flag to make him spin, which oddly results in that glide state glitch. to circumvent that however, for some reason, getting rid of the jumpdown flag solved that issue as long as you kept both buttons pressed when you hit the ground. sadly though, this results in the game deregistering the jump button as pressed, and as such you're buffering another jump for when you hit the ground, which is actually what happens when you hear the jump sound.
knuckles' dive boost absolutely needs a rework so that something like that doesn't happen, but i decided, since it only happens extremely rarely + the jump is barely noticeable aside from the sound effect, that i'd release it anyway because all in all it still functions the way i intended...just not perfectly.

2. the thok sound effect happening every time you press the button was a complete oversight, no other excuse there lol. the homing attack banking exists through a loophole in the code, that being that the homing attack target search only stops when A. you hit the ground, B. you hit a target or C. the THOKKED flag is removed. however, i had played with it for a while during testing and i thought it'd be fun thing to keep in as a mechanic (until i completely forgot about it when i was writing the thread in the first place!)

3. yeah the ghosts don't look great, it was a moment of weakness from when i forgot that P_SpawnMobjFromMobj existed.

don't worry, i do intend to fix everything to do with knuckles, and almost everything to do with sonic (depending on people's opinion on the homing bank). i hope my explanation at least somewhat answers your issues!

The homing bank just seems more detrimental than something you'd actively use at your advantage. A short thok could do for now.

Update V1.1 has been pushed, with numerous small, but still important changes.

- You thought you were fast before? Zero-In Homing Attack's speed has been buffed.

- For when the enemies aren't around, you can do a smaller Thok that has around 2/3 of the speed of the original.

- Ugliness gone. The Homing Attack Ghost Vfx has been replaced with regular Thok Mobjs.

- [Thok] The Thok sound effect bug has been patched.

- nothing's happened to knuckles

Introducing: The Stardust Update!

In this big update, we don't only have a small tweak to Sonic's Backup Thok, making it a bit slower, but...

Introducing...FlowMetal!

Metal Sonic can use his Boost Jet to great advantage, and while in his super form, he can even rise vertically. Just be careful with it, you aren't given a lot of control!

srb20117.gif

(Thanks to everyone who came by the prerelease netgame! You're all pretty cool and we had a blast with FlowMetal, which you all seemed to enjoy more than I expected.)

What? Another new update?

Yessir, per the community's request, I have made some new changes to the gameplay of FlowAbilities! Enter: Update 2.1!

Metal's Super Form has been completely revised; you can now fly infinitely, and hold jump or spin to ascend or descend respectively.

Control is our specialty* (citation needed); the movement keys now take priority over the camera when using Metal's Boost Jet. This also applies to when you're Super!

He isn't going to be left behind just yet. While his FlowAbilities moveset hasn't been fully implemented, Tails now has a Flight Cancel, toggled by pressing spin while flying. He also has a Super Form, which allows him to fly infinitely!

Speaking of Super Forms...Amy and Fang can now also turn Super, but without any special abilities (for now).

What a bulky update! I hope you enjoy what's in store for you!

Maybe the Zero-In Attack could be somewhat affected by momentum, in that it always keeps your current speed, and its range would increase with speed. Meaning that it would essentially be a jump corrector, with the move only able to target enemies you would have been able to jump on when you last jumped (regarding the movement speed at the time). If you miss an enemy, you could use the move to redirect your jump, or just to make sure you hit it, improving the flow.

Maybe the Zero-In Attack could be somewhat affected by momentum, in that it always keeps your current speed, and its range would increase with speed. Meaning that it would essentially be a jump corrector, with the move only able to target enemies you would have been able to jump on when you last jumped (regarding the movement speed at the time). If you miss an enemy, you could use the move to redirect your jump, or just to make sure you hit it, improving the flow.

honestly, that's a pretty good idea. though, i will have to push it to the side a bit, since i have a new update finished and ready to upload. back in the early days of flow, though, the homing attack was 100% momentum based, which didn't feel great, but if i implemented it now it could probably be pretty good. thanks for the suggestion!

...wait, what was i going to say?

oh yeah

Update 2.2 is out!

-Keep stringing those combos together! By holding the jump button when you reach your target, Sonic can cancel the momentum in his homing attack and gain extra vertical momentum. If you want to use the regular homing attack, though, just make sure to tap the button when locking on, instead of holding.

-Hey! Let me go! A bug with Tails' flight cancel has been fixed. You will now no longer keep carrying other players.

-With new updates come new strengths! Knuckles' Dive Boost has been completely revised. Dive into the ground and you'll rebound, allowing you to either keep going, roll or do another glide. This will also allow you to string multiple bounces together!

attachment.php

-Gravity? Not a problem anymore. Any gravflip bugs, namely Super Metal's flight, have been fixed.

Enjoy Update 2.2!

Hold up! Time for another update, this being Version 3! What do I call it? Ehhhhh...the Sniper Update? Yeah, let's go with that.

Fang has been added as a changed playable character! He can fire his popgun from any point on the ground, but he's also able to toss bombs, whether that be at enemies, or nearby players!

attachment.php

Please be sure to be considerate of the copious amounts of explosives you're carrying and...don't set them all off at once! It could prove fatal!

- Focus your bounce! Sonic's Momentum-Cancelling Homing Attack rebound height has been nerfed.

- Hard and heavy but still able to get around. Knuckles' Dive Boost Rebound height has been slightly buffed in both normal and Super gameplay.

Enjoy Version 3!

me: ok what do i need to do for the next flow patch...obviously fix those bugs, add a few things, and finish tails
fang:
me: tails can wait

SilverVortex updated FlowAbilities with a new update entry:

V4 Release!

second verse, same as the first. for the most part, flowabilities has been ported to xenforo, as well as finishing flowtails, neglecting amy once again, but also stripping fang of his bomb throw. it was just too strong for its own good.
sonic and metal sonic have also been changed up on the backend to make reusing them just a little easier. sonic now also cancels his homing attack momentum the same way shadow does.

enjoy v4!

Read the rest of this update entry...

I can't find the PK3 file in attachments.. any reason why?
i've removed the pk3 file from the attachments because of the infinitely better direct download method.

scroll up to the top of the page, and to the right there should be an orange download button. you'll be able to download the mod from there.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back