• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Frostav's attempts to make levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostav

I'm too addicted to this game, and with how intuitive map making seems at first (just draw lines and give them textures!), I gave in. The only map makers I've ever dabbled with before are ones for racing games, so this is wholy new to me.

A lot of first maps are usually some variation on Green Hill, Emerald Hill, Greenflower, etc. I however, decided that my first level would mix together the themes of...Red Volcano and Frozen Hillside. Enter Infernal Glacier Zone, a glacier so bone-chillingly cold that even a massive lava flow through it couldn't melt it. Instead, the lava rages underneath, on top of, and all around the ice. Don't worry, it won't melt--you might wanna bring a coat, though. I actually think the mixture of cool blues and whites with reds and oranges makes for a nice look, and I innovated a method of pairing translucent ice FOF's with sectors using lava floors to make a really cool effect.

Also it's stupid hard and nothing but asshole platforming.

Here's some shots of my work so far.

ZA7Fwk2.png

ZHKIRog.png

kO3Sr2h.png

FHPsHy5.png

Attachments

• srb20032.png
    srb20032.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 145
I see you're going all in on your first map, and doing a good job at it.

The more levels we have to play the merrier, I'm really getting into custom content now because 2.2 allows for far higher quality. I hope to play this.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm probably getting too ambitious, lol, but I like what I'm doing and it's fun. I dunno how to make levels look pretty but I'm getting better at making challenges, that's for sure.

In the meanwhile, I've made the lava less eye-searing but using the non-flashing textures RVZ uses (lavafalls of course, remain animated).

Attachments

• srb20028.gif
    srb20028.gif
    780.5 KB · Views: 166
Thanks! Yeah, I'm probably getting too ambitious, lol, but I like what I'm doing and it's fun. I dunno how to make levels look pretty but I'm getting better at making challenges, that's for sure.
I like giant levels as much as the next guy, but I myself decided to start with a less ambitious one since I didn't know of everything in Zone Builder yet.

The best advise I can give is to take it one section at a time and to give it thorough playtesting with all the characters.

Frankly, all that matters is if you're having fun. The thing that always ends up deterring me from level design is the fact that it usually ends up feeling like a chore.

I haven't worked on this in weeks. Looking at the other My First Levels being submitted every few days, this thing was substandard even for beginner standards and the core level design wasn't going to be good. I will probably restart from the ground up, though still retaining the lava glacier theme.

I haven't worked on this in weeks. Looking at the other My First Levels being submitted every few days, this thing was substandard even for beginner standards and the core level design wasn't going to be good. I will probably restart from the ground up, though still retaining the lava glacier theme.

Hey, sometimes the best way forward is to scrap everything and start from scratch. Usually you'll find that the second attempt was MUCH better than the first, and the results are also MUCH better than if you had sat and overworked your first attempt to death. So more power to ya!

Just don't quit! I really like this theme, so you better finish this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back