Japanese or American soundtrack : a question for Sonic CD fans

Basic Bronze Sonic

Barely active MB member, active on Discord/Twitter
The title says the question but I gotta awenser it too.
I think I'm more interested in the American soundtrack.

scd-misc-animationsimg3.jpg

Now yes not all of the American songs are good (and it's primarily a surtant boss theme that isn't good but would be good 25 days ago of the posting of this thread) and the Japanese soundtrack is consistently kinda good but you can't tell me that you don't jam out to the American version of quartz quadrant (present).

So that's the soundtrack I prefer and why I prefer it.

Welp let's get the discussion going.

Last edited:
Japanese OST.

I personally pick the japanese ver better just because the music is god like but the american ver fit's the level's more than the japanese ver when you play the japanese ver it feels like your walking into a disco room but the american ver feels like it fit's with the level more.

international version's motifs are more in the spirit of what defines sonic music IMO, though U.S. has some nice tracks here and there

what hurts u.s. the most is the fact that they don't change the past themes, and I've always found that disparity jarring

the Japanese soundtrack is consistently kinda good but you can't tell me that you don't jam out to the American version of quartz quadrant (present)
bruh, how do you choose american for QQ present and not the future themes??

i'll grant that the 5/4 is interesting, but i've always felt jap easily had present in the bag

bruh, how do you choose american for QQ present and not the future themes??

i'll grant that the 5/4 is interesting, but i've always felt jap easily had present in the bag

Well this is an easy question.

Well I'm a fan of Sonic heroes and the U.S version of quartz quadrant (present) gives me a Sonic heroes kind of vibe and it's also my favorite Sonic CD song because of that (I'm also a sucker for electric guitars and like 99% of that song is just electric guitar rifts and nothing else)

I gotta say I like all the Japanese themes better except for one, and that is Wacky Workbench. I feel the American version fits better in line with the Japanese soundtrack than the actual Japanese version

what hurts u.s. the most is the fact that they don't change the past themes, and I've always found that disparity jarring

I don't know if you knew about this but for those who don't, somebody made a complete set of concepts for US versions of the past themes and I think they fit pretty well.

I personally prefer the Japanese tracks, but I do have some fondness for the American tracks as well, since they are more enviormental-based in contrast to the Japanese tracks.

I gotta say I like all the Japanese themes better except for one, and that is Wacky Workbench. I feel the American version fits better in line with the Japanese soundtrack than the actual Japanese version

I don't know if you knew about this but for those who don't, somebody made a complete set of concepts for US versions of the past themes and I think they fit pretty well.

Oh these are sick! I was pretty familiar with KingMeteor's work but I never noticed this set from him. From a technical standpoint it doesn't sound like these would fit Sega CD's specs, but the timbres are spot on.

I think that the JP OST is far better than the US one, but it does have some bangers ngl

i kinda prefer the Japenese one more than the American one.

Japanese feels fast, and energetic and combines with the video, the American not much... that one is relaxed and slow... although still good!

I Prefer The Japanese Soundtrack Because of the american OST's game over and boss theme
But I Prefer some songs of the game on the american version(like the special stage music,i love it on the american OST)

I like the American theme because
1, I was born in america

real 1, i like it a ton, and the japanese ones succ

I like the American theme because
1, I was born in america

real 1, i like it a ton, and the japanese ones succ

No way! The American OST is cweepy.. especially when you fight a boss...

When you fight a boss with the Japanese OST on, you’re encouraged to defeat the boss!

Getting encouraged to fight a boss is a lot better than..

..being jumpscared into putting the game on a shelf for a long time!

Japanese because the america version boss theme gave me a nightmare and i had to sleep with my parents for a month because of that.. so america succccc

Both versions are equally great for me, but yeah, the Japanese one is truly "better" because (i feel) it fits more what a Sonic game's soundtrack should have than how the American version does; not that any of them fit bad, but i feel the Japanese one is the one that fits better with the game

However as an example of the opposite, the jingle when you beat a level, the American version was used on a fangame called "Neo Sonic Universe", and when i found it on Sonic CD, i preferred the American version of the jingle due to that (and because it sounds better for me lol)

So basically, it depends but Averagely I Prefer The Japanese's Ones

for me, all the music from the japan ost is better than than the american version, but i like some of the american soundtrack like sonic boom, stardust speedway bad future, and tidal tempest present

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back