Resource icon

[Open Assets] Rock Shield - v1.1 2021-07-29

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

EeveeEuphoria

a pikachu irl
Welcome to...
The Rock Shield from Sonic: Time Twisted!

What does this mod do?
This mod (in it's base form) replaces the Whirlwind Shield with the Rock Shield! The rock shield gives the player two rocks to hurl at enemies! After usage, there's a short cooldown timer (represented by the rock respawning) until the player can use the shield ability again. It also has a passive ability to prevent taking spike damage!

When the player loses their shield, the rocks fall off the player, and are still a threat to anyone who dare touches the rocks!

For modmakers...
Check the lua file in the PK3, you can modify the doomednum so that you can place this in your map! In the lua script, scroll down a little bit and you will find comments that say "REPLACE ME", so simply change them to an unused number. If either of them are modified past -1, the script will no longer replace Whirlwind shields.

Changelog
v1.1
  • Added new HUD element, to make it sit in line with the other power-ups. Thanks to Faye for the help on this!
v1.0
  • Added information for Zone Builder to work with.
  • Added new animation for when rocks are respawning, very similar to how Sonic: Time Twisted does it.
  • Removed the variables used to replace the doomednum info, for it does not work with Zone Builder. You must now change it manually in order to place it.
  • When finishing a level (without MMT enabled!), the rocks will fall onto the ground at the end of the level.
  • Fixed rock shield being able to be used while in PF_THOKKED state.
  • Fixed the shield not working in reverse gravity.

v0.9.2
  • Whoops, didn't replace the whirlwind goldbox variant. Now that's been fixed! Last hotfix before v1.0 I hope!
v0.9.1
  • Fixed validation check bugs in relation to .RSMod

NOTICE TO OPENGL USERS
Since 2.2.7, 3D models have been introduced to the game! However, without fixing it, this mod won't work properly with that. A new zip has been provided that should alleviate this! Download the zip and extract it to where-ever the "srb2win.exe" file is.
Then, edit models.dat in something like Notepad and append this code to the end of it:
Code:
TVRS OBJE/TVRS.md3 1.5 0.0

Do note this will not make the rocks into 3D models, since I lack the skill to do such a thing.

Special Thanks
Thanks to Flame and Faye on the SRB2 Discord for helping out with most of the math stuff, wouldn't have figured out the orbiting pattern without ya.
Thanks to the Sonic: Time Twisted dev team for not only the original idea for the rock shield, but also for the sprites used in this (the rocks, fragments, and part of the shield sprite are ripped from Sonic: Time Twisted)

Attachments

• srb20281.gif
    5.6 MB · Views: 1,441
  • srb21034.jpg
    srb21034.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,138
  • srb21036.jpg
    srb21036.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 1,012
  • srb20298.gif
    6.8 MB · Views: 880
  • VL_RockShield-v1.1.pk3
    13.1 KB · Views: 823
  • Rock Shield 3D Model.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
This "Rock Shield" is from Sonic Time Twisted Cool thinking dude but I cant play sonic time twisted when I download it I don't know why.

Power Stone always was an underrated weapon.
Uhhh, Power Stone? That one doesn't shield and the rocks are thrown all at once. This is more like a mix between Skull Barrier (only protects from one hit) and Junk Shield (the parts that make the shield can be thrown). Also Power Stone is rated right where it should be, don't @ me

Anyhow, as for the Rock Shield itself... I like it! It's not especially rock-themed, you could replace the projectiles with spikeballs and it'd still work (and the spike invulnerability would be a bit more intuitive), but it's fun and certainly different from the other shields' offensive capabilities. The only thing I would change (other than fixing the remaining bugs it has) is to make it somehow clear that even if you throw the rocks away, you're still protected from a hit. Being left naked communicates that you're vulnerable to losing rings.

Also yeah bugs. I'm working on a couple shields too and one thing I've learned is that if you forget to test everything in reverse gravity and with altered scale, you get bad juju.

v1.0 is now out!

With it comes the new animation I was talking about, look at the 4th screenshot for how it looks like!
Also, I've fixed this up so now it integrates with Zone Builder properly, you must go into the lua script to change the values. Don't worry, there's instructions in the lua file itself to get the job done.
And finally, it now works in reverse gravity.

Unless any more bugs pop up, I anticipate this to be the last release, enjoy!

It's a pretty functional shield that I see can have some tactical implications if anyone's smart enough to figure out some awesome uses for it... My only complaint is that it doesn't have a HUD icon for when you have the shield equipped, like every other shield does.

Yeahhh, that's the one thing I wish I knew how to do, unfortunately to my knowledge that's not possible with lua? Might be wrong, but I scoured through the wiki and came out empty handed.

EDIT: Alsooo, because it's compatible with MMT, if you carry the shield into a boss act, it does make for interesting cases for the bosses.

It's a pretty functional shield that I see can have some tactical implications if anyone's smart enough to figure out some awesome uses for it... My only complaint is that it doesn't have a HUD icon for when you have the shield equipped, like every other shield does.

oh boy, i thought v1.0 was the last update

This SHOULD be the final update! This now includes HUD functions that display with the player's current powers, depending on if it's enable in the game or not. Thanks to Faye for the help on this, basically all the code was made by them for this!

How about like in Battle Mode it'd be one of the shields, I mean I guess it's current thing (replacing the whirlwind monitor) is fine, since the whirlwind monitor is not an offensive shield... but... suggestion

hey all, minor update! a zip file has been provided (along with information on how to modify models.dat) that will make this compatible with the built-in models that SRB2 v2.2.7 and onward comes with!

if you plan on using this for your own level, i'd suggest also leaving similar information on the map page so they don't Suffer

If one of the rocks falls into a deathpit/out of the world and gets deleted, the shield stops working and produces an error.

WARNING: ...addons\LUA\VL_RockShield-v1.1.pk3|Lua/rockshield.lua:251: accessed mobj_t doesn't exist anymore, please check 'valid' before using mobj_t.
stack traceback:
[C]: ?
...addons\LUA\VL_RockShield-v1.1.pk3|Lua/rockshield.lua:251: in function <...addons\LUA\VL_RockShield-v1.1.pk3|Lua/rockshield.lua:249>

Edit: The rocks also seem to hover in place forever if someone with the shield decides to suddenly leave, no error, just a lack of telling the rocks to disappear if their player magically poofs out of reality.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back