Recommended Computer Specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about getting a new laptop PC sooner or later, and I tried doing a bunch of research on processors, GPUs and stuff. I haven't paid much attention to specs for a while and I'm pretty sure there's some folks here that could be informative.
I'm interested in a laptop that can handle a few tasks at the same time without serious stutters. This includes business apps (like MS Word, Excel, etc.) running with a web browser with several tabs open and music playing through an application like Spotify. Most importantly, I want to play some games such as Minecraft, Warframe, Team Fortress 2, you name it. I'm not trying to play games on max settings but I do want them running at a good frame rate on maybe medium settings or so.
So far I've noticed that dual-core Intel i5 processors can "act" as four cores thanks to hyper threading. So far, I've found 2 interesting combinations that might be enough to last for a while:

-8 GB RAM w/ AMD A6 or A10 quad-core processing
-6 GB RAM with Intel i5 dual-core processing

If I can recall correctly, most laptops sold by retailers have integrated GPUs with whatever processor and I've heard that Intel is more powerful with slightly lower graphic quality while AMD is the other way around.
Any suggestions would be appreciated and I want to envy the builds any of you guys may have.
My laptop I've had for a couple of years:
AMD E-300 clocked at around 1.2 GHz (I think) w/ Raedon 6310 :S

Sent from my iPhone using ********

Your best bet here is trying to find something with both an Intel CPU and AMD graphics. If you can't find anything like that, then I'd probably go for an AMD-based laptop, if only for also getting AMD's integrated graphics which, from my personal experience, is way better than Intel graphics. Then again, a toaster could probably be better than Intel graphics. =P

Personally, I've been using a really old, like 4-year old, Toshiba laptop with AMD quad-core processor (1.6 GHz), AMD 5650 (discrete) graphics, and 4 GB of RAM (thinking about upgrading though). It's decent for games like TF2 and Skyrim, and you could probably run newer games decently on medium settings or so. And the performance isn't too shabby for things like OpenOffice (I'm an OpenOffice guy), Firefox with many tabs open, etc. If you can't find anything new, then something like that might also be good for what you're going to be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back