Blue Warrior's Idea: Best of 200x

Status
Not open for further replies.
SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
It's the multiplayer maps that really need the compiled WAD thing. I say forget about Single Player and focus only on the other gametypes.

As much as I love Single Player levels, I have to agree with you. It just gets too confusing when you have thirty zillion Single Player levels on one WAD. I still think it would be a good idea, however, to try adding improved versions of the maps instead of the originals. That way, there'll be a few surprises in store for fans of the old levels.

Regarding the permissions thing, Sonicandtails pretty much hit it. We're not modifying anything and we're not taking credit for the maps; we're just compiling the best ones for the players' convenience. If an author wants the map not to be included, getting rid of it is not a problem, but otherwise, I would think they'd be more than happy to have their map included if it means more people playing it.

By the way, if you have any more questions, please be sure to check out the Wiki talk page mentioned in the first post, because I have my whole plan outlined there.

Personaly, the merging of single player levels into a megawad would only really work with a project like CIF or Community Chest. (Both were a series of Doom community projects, CIF made it to 3 and CC4 is a Multiple WIP)

Spazzo said:
And, for the record, they should all be one "megawad", not just a zip. It's a lot more work, but the reward is greater.

That sounds better. Plus, it's more convenient for the player.

I haven't gotten much of a start on the project, so if someone wants the SP maps to be in the wads, then now is the time to make plans for it. If we wish to have them in the same wad(s) as the multiplayer levels, then someone is going to have to find all of the SP maps, edit the socs to not collide with other gameplay (same goes for textures), and adjust the maps according to the soc changes (same goes for textures). That person will not be me, because, to be frank, I'm not convinced that inserting the levels into the wad will be worth more than inserting them into the zip.

Alright. This is just a post to let everyone know that construction on "Best of 2004" has officially started. The maps that will be included are as follows:

Code:
Jan MAP03 - Stratosphere Tower Zone by Digiku - 6.86 
Jan MAP05 - Cloudscape Zone by Tets - 7.29
Jan MAP07 - Mushroom Kingdom Zone by FuriousFox - 6.88 
Feb MAP02 - Carved Barracks by foxUnit01 - 7.86
Dec MAP02 - Sandy Beach Zone by Some guy - 7.00
Dec MAP09 - Lunar Facility Zone by FuriousFox - 7.50 
Dec MAP10 - Thunder Citadel Zone by Mystic - 7.50 
Dec MAP13 - Winter Valley Zone by Some guy - 7.56
Dec MAP15 - Ruined Fortress Zone by SRB2-Playah - 7.33
Dec MAP18 - Illustrion Zone by Jason the Echidna - 7.00

As you can see, two 6-rated maps made it into the rotation -- I wanted all rotations for the Best of 200x to have a minimum of 10 maps. Also, SonicMaster was cool enough to give me a 1.09.4 compatible Illustrion Zone.

I see Best of 2004 as my "test run". It's most convenient to work on especially since it only has one division, so it's the perfect one for me to get started on at this point in time. If there's anything you would like to discuss regarding its construction, please do.

Wait, Thunder Citadel Zone? We already have a better one in the official rotation...that is why I left Isolated Canyon, Techno Hill CTF, and Metal Star out of what I thought should be in Best of 2006.

Yeah, I just realized that a few moments ago. I guess I'll go look for another 6 map to replace it.

EDIT: Also, what of Carved Barracks? It's already in Spazztastic, so...

Okay, I've replaced Thunder Citadel with Abandoned Factory Zone, and the rotation has been implemented successfully... so far. I'm surprised I didn't think about this beforehand, but there are a few maps that use textures and music not available in 1.09.4; a bit of a snag, but it also spawns a few ideas. My plans for said maps:

Stratosphere Tower: Create a custom sky and some midi/ogg for it.
Cloudscape Zone: Upload my Sky Sanctuary midi/ogg for it.
Abandoned Factory: Find the missing texture and place it back in.

So why am I uploading custom content to the wad? Well, it doesn't make much sense to have Genesis music in a Yamaha XG soundtrack. So why not upload music of SRB2's caliber? And also, the custom sky was because... well, two sky temple themed maps look redundant together.

I have no idea what I'm going to do for the sky, so if anyone wants to pitch in....

EDIT: Stratosphere Tower doesn't have MCZ music. I'm full of crap.

For Best of 2008 (once NovDec08 is over), is 39 Divided By 0 gonna be in there? Though it got disqualified, the scores tallied 7.33, which actually is the third highest score in all of 2008. o_O

That's a good question. I'd rather not promote rule-breaking maps to be put into the rotation, but the inclusion of 39/0 into the contest was a goof on FF's part, and 2008 is doing terrible so far, so it's certainly a possibility. I'd like other opinions, though, as I'm fairly undecided.

Also, as a reminder, I still don't have the 2003 contest wads, so if you have them, drop me a PM or an email with them attached/linked/whatever. This way I can host the wads on webspace other than Mediafire or Sendspace and also get the Best of 2003 underway.

The thing is, I actually told him to take that level out because of Rule 4 and fear of criticism over the level's aesthetics. I now know I don't have to fear criticism of aesthetics. But with 2008's abysmal results so far, we may need that level in there, ya know.

If it's a good map and it was rated high in a contest, it's fine, I'd think. Whether or not it was eligible to win shouldn't matter.

Alright, guys, it's been a while, and I have quite a bit of news about the direction of the "Best Of" project.

First and foremost, I will be creating a collective "Best Of". This means that all years will be in the same pack, thus creating for a few of the biggest rotations to be seen in an SRB2 multiplayer pack. After a discussion on IRC with others, we came to an agreement that the convenience of having all maps in one wad definitely outweighs the resulting file size. The wad, of course, won't be finished immediately, so I'll be releasing the annual Best Ofs one at a time as "check points" of progress, per se. My question is whether we should encourage the annual Best Ofs to run alongside the collective one upon the latter's release. Your thoughts?

Another important bit of news is that FuriousFox showed me a li'l zip on his old webspace, and guess what was among the old SRB2 content: that's right, the 2003 contest maps! Thanks to this, I can start to host the 2003 contest wads on my webspace and start working on the Best Of for that year after I'm done with 2004.

Next are a couple pieces of news that kind of tie in together: the official release date for the Best of 2004 is October 20th. However, I've decided to hit two birds with one stone and host a contest on SigSev Cafe (see signature) with the 2004 maps on October 17th and 18th (if we don't have enough contestants, we'll just stick to the 18th). So if you want to try out the 95% complete version and, eh, "bug test" it with us ;) ... then sign up for the contest for either day that pleases you most. The contest is partially for competition, but its real goal is to gather up folks for a netgame they'll appreciate. So, if this method proves popular, I'll be sure to do the same for other Best Ofs.

So, yeah, I think that's all I wanted to say. Unfortunately for you guys, I don't plan to work on the Best Of stuff this week, since I gotta catch up a little on school work. Expect some results soon afterward, though.

Uh-oh, Ruined Fortress Zone with score 7.33 also has a compatibility issue. The fountain is broken. Thank goodness for F3 in SRB2DB, because there are control sectors all over the place. Should I go and try to fix it for you, Blue Warrior?

Yes, please. Thanks for catching that. My contest is scheduled to start tomorrow and Saturday, but it doesn't look like we'll have enough players for a sufficient netgame for Friday. So if you can get it fixed before Saturday, that would be great; if not, don't worry about it, since the contest version is only a 95% complete version anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back