SRB2 CONTEST: Calling all texture artists!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't used all your suggestions, JEV3, but I've used some of them (I've had to tile it to 192x192 though, as 256x256 doesn't work with this texture...)...

Here it is now, as 192x192:
ACZRCK02.png

And when 384x384:
ACZRCK022.png

I hope I win this contest, because I wouldn't want all my effort to be wasted, all for nothing, etc, etc...

Monster Iestyn said:
I hope I win this contest, because I wouldn't want all my effort to be wasted, all for nothing, etc, etc...

You needn't consider it a waste... you can use your textures to make your own level you know. There aren't very many levels with custom textures floating around here and there are a few of those that I wouldn't mind seeing fine-tuned and implemented in a custom level. And if you put enough effort into things, you will get better, so it never goes to waste.

As for that texture, the cracks are all the same color, so they still look painted on there. I'd first change their color so they are more dark orange than red or you could try some blacks and browns not unlike the cracked THZ wall. Shade it slightly so it transitions into the crack but makes the crack look like it belongs there. (maybe only shade from one edge at a time to give the texture some depth) Also try alternating the shading just a bit. (by 3 hexagons maybe). I still think you should try running some of the cracks in and out of the hexagons and connect some of them.

I've made the cracks darker, and made more cracks go from one hexagon to another. I had already shaded the edge of the cracks from a few edits ago, although it was hard to see that since the cracks weren't dark enough to see the shading from a distance. (In fact, I think they still are!)

Here it is again:
ACZRCK03.png

And when 384x384:
ACZRCK032.png

If thats an issue, I'd start from scratch and redraw the hexagons just long enough so that you can make that texture a power of two... I think the problem is that these hexagons are longer than they are wide, and so a power of two will not fit them without cutting it in half.

Or... you could come up with a creative way to cut them in half and make it look normal. Either way, its a pretty basic texture and so it shouldn't be impossible to start from scratch. I wouldn't try to stretch the current version though.

Do you use Photoshop or GIMP? I'd try drawing the cracks on a different layer, and changing the opacity so that the color is influenced by the colors beneath it. (you'd have to switch to RGB for that... to switch back without losing the color, just select the area around the cracks, invert it, and merge to a copy of the background... you might keep a copy of the cracks layer too to make it easy to repeat the process) Try shading around the cracks until it looks like they really do cut through the texture. Meanwhile I'd recommend that the cracks not be too visible from a distance and that you make them less dense.

I'd also sharpen the main shading, on a small color range I usually go every other shade... the larger ones generally vary. The shading from the cracks can and perhaps should be more subtle.

glaber said:
I don't think your texture is going to work if it's not a power of 2 (ex:128, 256, 32)

Don't worry, I can just split it up into separate patchs to put together like with the skies - just a 64x192 patch and an 128x192 patch!

And JEV3, I use Paint, as I've always done.

I've just been thinking... couldn't we mention this contest in the SRB2 Wiki?

Oh no, I'm not going to be doing that (I'm not even registered as a user there yet!), but it's just an idea...

BACKSEAT MODDING LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

The contest is now closed. Thanks for all the submissions. If you were working on something and haven't submitted it yet, do so now. Winning peeps will be contacted.

Look soon for another contest!

SSNTails said:
BACKSEAT MODDING LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

The contest is now closed. Thanks for all the submissions. If you were working on something and haven't submitted it yet, do so now. Winning peeps will be contacted.

Look soon for another contest!

Bother! I was just starting to think of a new rock texture!

But never mind... it was an interesting contest after all...

I think that if that if I were a winner in this contest, then there must be more winners as well - All I've really made are rock textures, and we definately need more than rock textures, don't we...

But who knows... maybe I won't win... I have not PM'd SSNTails any of my textures, not even one...

I know that this contest is over, and that I would be too late to do this... but I decided to show it anyway...

The original texture, as 128x64:
ACZROCK1.png

And when tiled to 384x384:
ACZROCKTILE.png

As you can see, it was based off the SNDWALLA texture already in SRB2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back