[Open Assets] Haste (Deprecated by KartMP) - longer MTs for accel characters

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Tyron

Krew, MS sysop, gay robot, horns
DEPRECATED, for now. Lat's KartMP includes Haste's functionality, and if it requires updates, I'll be working with them in the future for it. Thank you to everyone who supported the original release!

Now go here.

A script that buffs accel characters. The lower your speed stat is, the longer your miniturbos are.

Use the haste cvar to adjust the buff: "130", the default, is 130% MT length at 1 speed, scaling to 100% (no change) at 9 speed.

This was tested in netgames with good players and should generally only be changed for private experimentation. If you change this substantially, please note it somewhere so people don't think I'm responsible for your wackass balance.

Attachments

• srb2kart-hannu_Y3ppV8eVge.png
    srb2kart-hannu_Y3ppV8eVge.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 545
  • KL_Haste_V5.lua
    5.5 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
A pretty neat take on accel balancing! Right up my alley since my preferred stat block is middle to bottom left.

Welcome (back) to releases!

Bugfix update: fixes MT interactions when a drift is interrupted by an item hit. Thanks to Maple for embarassing me in under 7 hours.

Immediately took notice to the accel character focus (Motobug here) and tried this out... I think I like Haste! It actually seems to click well with the kind of mindset I have in particular scenarios where I would chain blue sparks together at a turn instead of charging up a red one - certainly feels powerful on winding maps with lots of corners. Of course stuff like, Dark Race, or any other map with long straight regions of track, those still aren't their strong point, but I guess neither is Flicky on... Kart Airlines, for instance, so it's a balance that makes sense. It feels like I'm just reiterating what was said in the above video, so, this script is very neat in its practicality I'd say.

Bugfix update: fixes MT interactions when a drift is interrupted by being squished. Thanks again, Maple.

Llitechiel ꙮ;815557 said:
Immediately took notice to the accel character focus (Motobug here) and tried this out... I think I like Haste! It actually seems to click well with the kind of mindset I have in particular scenarios where I would chain blue sparks together at a turn instead of charging up a red one - certainly feels powerful on winding maps with lots of corners. Of course stuff like, Dark Race, or any other map with long straight regions of track, those still aren't their strong point, but I guess neither is Flicky on... Kart Airlines, for instance, so it's a balance that makes sense. It feels like I'm just reiterating what was said in the above video, so, this script is very neat in its practicality I'd say.

Thanks for your thoughts. This was way stronger in early drafts of the script—bonus duration was nearly twice as long!—but I ended up turning things down after noticing that accel characters had the potential to be far more dominant on accel-favored maps than speed characters did on speed-favored maps, because they're more difficult to substantially interrupt. Fortunately, it doesn't take a whole lot more power to change the feel of MT chaining pretty drastically.

The bonus duration is actually a percentage value; since a red MT is slightly longer than two blue MTs, you gain more total bonus from a red than two blues as well. Whether this is worth going for depends on the map, obviously, but characters with high accel and high-ish weight get a lot of extra mileage from Haste when chaining reds. It does make your line a bit fragile, though.

Last edited:
V4 released.

Bugfix: Fixes edge-case interactions where charged MTs interrupted by wallbonks would misfire. Thanks to SeasideDoe for providing replay proof of this happening, and Maple (again, lol) for extensive testing of the fix.
Balance adjustment: MT bonus duration is removed if you've been offroad for more than a few moments. (In previous versions, MTs would still have bonus duration if released outside of offroad, even if you entered offroad afterward.)

Haste is already kind of an opinionated addon, but this change is probably necessary even if it adds non-obvious complexity:
Because "lawnmower" strategies don't rely on items, they're usable by frontrunners, and I think most people agree that it's already too easy for a frontrunner to reach "escape velocity"—so there's no need to buff any of them.

Existing lawnmower strategies are still possible, and still exactly as rewarding as they are in the vanilla game, but they're not any stronger for accel characters—and, crucially, no new lawnmower strategies are made available for accel characters, either.

Haste already deactivated for MTs released within offroad, which covers the vast majority of "lawnmower" strategies I'm aware of; if you didn't notice those, my hope is that you won't notice these either.

A new local cvar has been added, haste_debug, which can be toggled to see various diagnostic messages from the script.

V5 released. Fixes a bug that could cause the script to go sideways when spectators were present. Whoops.

Hey, Lat got around to putting KartMP up, and it's got Haste in it!

The standalone version of Haste is now deprecated. KartMP ships with a handful of cozy bugfixes and a lot of other balance/quality-of-life improvements, so you'll probably want to grab that instead.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back