The SRB2 Master Server (SRB2MS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cue

ALAM STOP BREAKING THE S
The SRB2.org Master Server is the official Master Server of Sonic Robo Blast 2, and is the default and most popular amongst the community. The Master Server primarily functions as a list of SRB2 servers for players to join, or advertise their own on. Information on hosting a server on the MS can be found on the SRB2 Wiki.

The Master Server has also branched out into handling the banning of players from accessing the Master Server list, and managing the reporting of servers that have been submitted by users for review by an administrator. Originally, reports were handled by the #srb2fun bot, Crawla, but this system was found to be inconvenient, and as such reports are now handled via the board's Administrator Control Panel.

Crawla

Crawla, formerly known as SRB2MS, is an IRC bot that resides in #srb2fun. Crawla can be interacted with via various commands, which can be initiated through typing 'Crawla, command' where command is the command in question. For example, if you wanted a list of servers currently listed on the Master Server, you would type 'Crawla, gamelist'. For a full documentation, use 'Crawla, docs'.

Current Master Server News

26 October 2010 - Yes, the Master Server is running again. Thank you for your patience.

22 October 2010 - Yes, the Master Server is still down. We know. You don't need to keep telling us this by new replies and topics, we're (rather, Cue is) still working on it.

2 August 2010 - Due to abuse, we have disabled guest reporting. You must have a forum account to report a server now.

20 June 2010 - Currently there is a bug in the Master Server that causes it to shutdown every night at a specific time, as of yet we don't know what is causing it and therefore nor do we know how to prevent it, but rest assured we are working on it. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

21 May 2010 - The Master Server has been completely reformed, with a room system, etc. For full information on this chance, please go here.

31 Jan 2010 - The reporting system is currently undergoing changes, and as such you cannot report servers right now. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

28 Jan 2010 - The Master Server listing page is currently going through a major change, in terms of both functionality and design, to be more user friendly and informative. During this time, Master Server services may be interrupted for short periods of time, we apologise in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.

28 Jan 2010 - Crawla is currently absent from #srb2fun, he/she will be back in due time, Crawla is currently going through a rather major code overhaul, which will not only tidy up the usage of Crawla, but enhance some of his/her features as well as add a few new ones. More on this at a later date.

Useful Links

The Master Server Rules - These are the core rules of the Master Server, and should be adhered to or you will risk being banned from the Master Server.
The Master Server List - Moved from its old location, the new server list gives more detailed information on servers, while being completely integrated into the Message Board. The information available on this page will grow over time, as and when the facilities to do so are introduced.
How to Play a Game without the Master Server - The Master Server going down has been, in the past, causing problems for users due to not being able to host. This thread will give you information on how to host and join servers without the aid of the Master Server.

Support

Unless in specific circumstances, such as private details being involved, Master Server support requests should be submitted in this thread (this does not include reporting servers). In the event that private information is involved, please contact either Cue or Inuyasha (犬夜叉) directly via a Personal Message.

Feedback and Suggestions

If you feel there is something missing from the Master Server, or you wish to give feedback on the various aspects of the MS such as the design or rules, please give your input in the form of a post in this thread, as opposed to posting in the SRB2 Suggestions thread, as it is far more likely to be noticed and implemented if posted here.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we want a feature added to the master server that would also require SRB2 to be changed, should we suggest it here or in the normal suggestions thread?

31 Jan 2010 - The reporting system is currently undergoing changes, and as such you cannot report servers right now. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Doesn't this mean we can break the rules at the moment? (Hangout servers...)

Nope, because I'll probably spend even more time staring at the list these days.

The MS List shows just as much information; the only thing it's lacking is a "join this game" button.

Which, hopefully, if things go as planned, we'll fix for 2.1. Would be 2.0.5, but that seems unlikely at this point in time.

Last edited:
People have been breaking rules left and right these days.
I hope the reporting system comes online soon so I can start reporting these guys or girls.

And PLEASE let certain wads be bannable reasons on their own. House#.wad, for example (Since people LOVE giving the thing MORE numbers).

The Master Server system will be undergoing significant changes over the next little while. Please be patient -- we will have it all back and working at full capacity very soon.

Hex the Fox said:
People have been breaking rules left and right these days.
I hope the reporting system comes online soon so I can start reporting these guys or girls.

Don't. Play the game it's meant to be played, instead.

I'd like to discourage this attitude of snitching on other players, or deliberately playing netgames for the sole purpose of finding rulebreakers. We made a game so you could play it, not so you could find those who don't play by our current rule system.

For the time being, I'm locking this topic to prevent any further questions until the changes are completed.

Last edited:
And such, since the reform has been completed, I'm unlocking this thread again.

Personally, I wonder if a button to refresh the server list on this website would save on bandwidth usage enough to be worthwhile...

I noticed that the Master Sever is always down when I'm in school, usually comes back on an hour or two after I get back. Is there a reason for this, or..?

Also, by any chance could you add a "Refresh List" or something to the Master Server page? I find it annoying when I'm looking for Casual games, pressing F5 and it taking me back to the Standard page.

Could've sworn this was stickied before the reform, so I'm putting it back up there.

Does the MSLauncher work anymore? I ask because it's always telling me that there are no servers online, but I can find servers perfectly by just joining straight through SRB2.

So that everyone is aware, currently there is a bug in the Master Server that causes it to shutdown every night at a specific time, as of yet we don't know what is causing it and therefore nor do we know how to prevent it, but rest assured we are working on it. In the mean time the Master Server will be restarted as and when a Master Server Administrator is present to do so. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Last edited:
So that everyone is aware, currently there is a bug in the Master Server that causes it to shutdown every night at a specific time, as of yet we don't know what is causing it and therefore nor do we know how to prevent it, but rest assured we are working on it. In the mean time the Master Server will be restarted as and when a Master Server Administrator is present to do so. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
This poses a SERIOUS inconvenience, a it is Summer. With school out of the way (in certain places) I assure you more SRB2 users will spend time online, and if they're like me, they may end up spending half their night on the server. Thus, this strange MS bug may incorporate a conflict to certain users. I can assure you though that (in my location) the server shut down within the time area of 1:30AM to 1:45AM (no specific time :P) but this isn't too much of a hassle to the users already on a server with perfect connections, as they most likely won't consfail and be required to reconnect. I have the feeling that you'd be better off going back to the servegame MS (assuming the different hosts pose different results) and continue fixing the current MS until the shutdown problem is fixed.. True, it might be a worse connection, but if it keeps players connected, it might help. This could result from your webhost putting a limit on operation (that is, if your webhost also hosts your MS. I have this simple assumption since it is "ms.srb2.org" and that the main website is "srb2.org," but correct me if I'm off.) and is trying to trick you into paying more to keep the server running 24/7. If it's a complete bug and not an official problem boasted by your webhost, then it may be best to go back to servegame until then. Just a suggestion.

> Implying the old MS still works with the new SRB2 client.

Hint: It doesn't. Packets have been modified way too much to make it even usable, it would actually crash your client if you tried to connect to it.

Also, works both ways, it's summer, MS admins will be on more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back