[Open Assets] Project: Sphere [V.2 is out now!] (mtf_projectsphere_v2.wad)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sphere

Developer
Sonic Team Junior
Project: Sphere

Project: Sphere is a multiplayer level pack, made by me. Currently, it features give maps, three of which are Match/Tag, and two are CTF.

Level listing:

Ruby Hill: (MAPB1)
RH01-1.png

RH02-1.png

RH03-1.png

Checkered Arena: (MAPB2)
CA01-2.png

CA02-2.png

CA03-2.png

Square Stadium: (MAPB3)
SS01-1.png

SS02-1.png
SS03-1.png

Galactic Bases: (MAPB4)
GB01-1.png

GB02-1.png

GB03-1.png

City Center: (MAPB5)
srb20017.png

srb20016.png

srb20019.png

New! Version 2.0 is out!

-
A new level has been added: City Center Zone (CTF).
-Some levels have been edited:
*Galactic Bases has been slightly expanded.
*Really minor edits have made to Ruby Hill and Checkered arena.
*An attempt has been made to make Square Stadium lag less...

-Some graphics have been upgraded: The monitors are completely custom now, and the weapom HUD has been revamped.

The mirror:
http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/176mtf_projectsphere_v2.wad

Criticism and numerical ratings highly appreciated.
Also, have fun playing!

Attachments

• mtf_projectsphere_v2.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,151
Last edited:
The levels look amazing. Ruby Hill is the most Amazing map on here. I can't wait to play them and I hope you make more levels

@Jet Kirby: Thank you for your comments.

Also, the first post is updated with a newer version.

(Why are there almost no comments? I would like to see what people think of it.)

^I just uploaded a new version (like 15 minutes ago). That's why the counter is/was at zero.

Okay, I played it and here's the review:

(Note: I'm not very good with numbers)

Ruby Hill 9/10
I liked this stage, the music is good and the sunset shading is generally nice. However, when facing the entire stage the game gets incredible framerate lag and that generally kills the gameplay.

Checkered Arena 8/10
Same problem as RHZ, I like the new design though and the music is also great here. But whats up with the Egg Rock background?

Square Stadium 7.5/10
Yet again, the same problem but even worse lag occurs here though. I remember this level too and it's quite good, although it tends to be a bit bumpy unless you're Knuckles.

Overall: 8.5/10
The design of the levels are nice and really beautiful too. However, they all suffer from a horrifyingly amount of framelag and lag tends to kill the gameplay.

Quite a nice pack you made, Spherallic.

What i have to say is be careful with lag. It maybe cause the gameplay to "die".

But the levels are super good to me.

Rate:9/10

I tried this in a netgame once, and I can honestly say the colormap for Ruby Hill was NOT a good idea; you can't tell who's who! Also, Checkered Arena is broken for Tag/H&S, because you can just hide in the spawn, and nobody can get you. Also, both of said arenas lag. Checkered Arena looks the same all over, and it's hard to tell where you are and such, and the GFZrock textures clash with that darker texture.

I tried this in a netgame once, and I can honestly say the colormap for Ruby Hill was NOT a good idea; you can't tell who's who! Also, Checkered Arena is broken for Tag/H&S, because you can just hide in the spawn, and nobody can get you. Also, both of said arenas lag. Checkered Arena looks the same all over, and it's hard to tell where you are and such, and the GFZrock textures clash with that darker texture.

-The colormap is less heavy in the newer version.
-The broken spawn is fixed too.
-Texture variation: Noted for future releases.

As for the lag problems, I really don't know how to fix them without heavily changing the map layout.

Also:

Version 1.2 is out!

-
Above problems are fixed.
-There now is a difference between Strong and Weak Random Monitors.
-Some custom stuff has been added.
-A new map has been added: Galactic Bases Zone.
-Square Stadium has been improved slightly.
It's a CTF map (my first ever made), featuring an Eggrock theme and reverse gravity.
GB03.png

^Standing on the alternate path, looking into the center of the map and the red base.
GB02.png

^Standing right in front of the blue base.
GB01.png

^The center of the map.

The mirror: http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/742mtf_projectsphere_v1.2.wad

Have fun! (numerical ratings and criticism greatly appreciated)

HI TWISTED TERMINAL

Anyways, it looks like it'd be too annoying to try reclaiming the flag if the person can ALWAYS be upside down, AND it's too high for Tails to grab before the opponent can again. Unless your team really cooperates, several members will be on the wrong side, and a game can get a lot more long and boring than it should. I mean, in Twisted Terminal, only a teleporter/recycler can get you on the ceiling with the flag IN your base (and even then, i don't think you can even place the flag for a point), and Tails/Knux can grab the flag when they are on the ceiling with moderate difficulty (Unless it's in the center, where Knux can't get it). Make sure you know what you're doing with that Grav flip.

I like GBZ, the grav-flip is really a nice concept from TTZ. The level looks really nice too, with the underground path in the bases leading towards meteorites outside (Tip: Don't step on the red ones!). I don't really know why, but I like this level despite some flaws. I also really like the new monitors:

29cmhyb.png

I'd say 9,5. You should have entered this level into the OLDC!

There is a new version available. Check the first post to download it.
(Yes, the Shields are now more spherical, Mr. Nitpick)

Some minor changes have been made, and a new map (still under construction) is in the wad itself.

Ah, I like the new textures and sky for Checkered Arena. And the map your working on is well... unfinished at the time. Wonder what gametype It'll be, probably Race.

As for the lag problems, I really don't know how to fix them without heavily changing the map layout.

You could try putting a big building or pillar in the middle of the level, with 1-sided linedefs inside of if. This will keep players from being able to see all the way across the level, and may help improve the framerate.

I haven't had a chance to try these levels out in an actual netgame yet, but it looks like they're big enough to suit my needs.

FuriousFox, thanks for the idea. I added it in Ruby Hill.

Lightspeed, the map which is the most finished, is actually going to be CTF. The other incomplete levels have been deleted now, though.

Also: (copypasta from the first post)

Version 1.4 is out!

-
Galactic Bases Zone has been greatly reworked: The reverse gravity is infinitely better now, some graphics are updated, and some other minor fixes have been added.
-Ruby Hill has been slightly tweaked.
-Some graphics have been updated.
-A new map in the works is included in this version... and I'm stuck on ideas for it. It has the basic stuff though.

Download is in the first post.

Well, just tried this in a netgame.

This pack has some of the most IMPRACTICAL maps I have ever played on. They're all SUPER HUGE and OUTRAGEOUSLY OPEN. Rail dominates these levels with great ease. Scatter rings are less useful, Bounce Rings are even MORE useless, and Bomb power is reduced.

Speaking of weapons, ammo comes in BUNCHES. The ammo packs are all cluttered together and it's easy to get Max ammo for all weapons with little effort, and KEEP it that way the whole match. This combined with the openness means there's no reason to use anything but rail, since all the other weapons are worthless in most situations.

Also, your custom things replace OTHER things, messing with the official levels, making everything look like it has an ugly palm tree coming out if it (That thing is BEGGING for darker colors). Also, the fancy custom gold color (which I really don't like, personally) does not effect life icons, and is it me, or do the team monitors look ugly?

In terms of maps, the aforementioned hugeness takes these down a LOT. Ruby Hill's colormap is a nucanse, and the large size and openness issues are extremely apparent here. Checkered Arena's holes are an annoyance, and make Tag/H&S super tedious and annoying. Square Stadium is annoying for Sonic, and does not go well with the new weapon system. Galactic Bases in particular is a goddamn MESS, with holes EVERYWHERE, waiting for you to fall in, and break up the pacing of firefights. It really sucks when you try to hit someone, fall in a hole, and then they rail you as you jump out. Also, the stairs NEED a ramp up sector; it's annoying repeatedly jumping over steps you should be able to walk over freely.

Frankly, this is not a good pack. The sizes are impractical even for big matches, and Rail overly dominates over all other weapons. This map pack would work a LOT better with the OLD 1.09 weapon system.

@D00D64: Well, that's certainly alot of criticism...

This pack has some of the most IMPRACTICAL maps I have ever played on.
What do you precisely mean with that?

They're all SUPER HUGE and OUTRAGEOUSLY OPEN. Rail dominates these levels with great ease. Scatter rings are less useful, Bounce Rings are even MORE useless, and Bomb power is reduced.
The openness will be hard to reduce without making it cramped though. And I probably made these maps so open because Rail is by favourite weapon... Guess that shows.

Speaking of weapons, ammo comes in BUNCHES. The ammo packs are all cluttered together and it's easy to get Max ammo for all weapons with little effort, and KEEP it that way the whole match.
This has been fixed, there are alot less weapon rings now.

This combined with the openness means there's no reason to use anything but rail, since all the other weapons are worthless in most situations.
I really need to make maps less of my personal (Rail-favoring) taste.

Also, your custom things replace OTHER things, messing with the official levels, making everything look like it has an ugly palm tree coming out if it (That thing is BEGGING for darker colors). Also, the fancy custom gold color (which I really don't like, personally) does not effect life icons, and is it me, or do the team monitors look ugly?
The custom items no longer replace other things (well actually they do, but they replace unused items). The palm tree will be recolored later, it's not exactly top priority right now.
The life icons do now display correctly. (If XWE didn't autosave them as uppercase lumps...)
The team monitors may be a little too bright, I agree with you on that.

Checkered Arena's holes are an annoyance, and make Tag/H&S super tedious and annoying.

The holes may be made smaller in a newer version, but they aren't top priority. The extremely and utterly useless sewage has been removed though.

Square Stadium is annoying for Sonic, and does not go well with the new weapon system.
Well, the stage was supposed to give Tails and Knuckles an advantage. As for the weapon system, yeah, this map was made originally for version 1.09.4.

In terms of maps, the aforementioned hugeness takes these down a LOT. Ruby Hill's colormap is a nucanse, and the large size and openness issues are extremely apparent here.

The colormap has been made lighter (again), and the whole stage is darker, so the colormap isn't as noticable now. As for the openness... That will be really hard to fix.

Galactic Bases in particular is a goddamn MESS, with holes EVERYWHERE, waiting for you to fall in, and break up the pacing of firefights. It really sucks when you try to hit someone, fall in a hole, and then they rail you as you jump out. Also, the stairs NEED a ramp up sector; it's annoying repeatedly jumping over steps you should be able to walk over freely.
The holes in the tunnels have been removed, the holes in the center now have a Ramp Sector, and the upside-down stairs now also have a Ramp Sector.

Frankly, this is not a good pack. The sizes are impractical even for big matches, and Rail overly dominates over all other weapons. This map pack would work a LOT better with the OLD 1.09 weapon system.
I'm sorry you didn't like it. I guess I'll need to make my maps smaller, and less open.
And yeah, two of the levels were originally 1.09.4 maps, so they didn't age too well, I guess.

Also, (copypasta from the first post)
New! Version 1.5 is out!

-
The item placement in all the levels has been adjusted, particularly Galactic Bases and Ruby Hill. There are less items now, especially weapon ammo has been reduced.
-All levels (except Square Stadium) are slightly edited:
*Galactic Bases' Weapon Panels have been swapped around.
*Ruby Hill is darker, and the sunset colormap has been made even lighter.
*Checkered Arena's textures have been edited.

-Some graphics have been updated. The weapon hud and some monitors.
-A new map in the works is included in this version... and I'm stuck on ideas for it. It has the basic stuff though. As of version 1.5, it now features a custom texture set.

The mirror:
http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/84...phere_v1.5.wad

It also has more unused, free-for-use textures in the wad file. Everybody is free to use them, but be sure to give me credit.

The openness will be hard to reduce without making it cramped though. And I probably made these maps so open because Rail is by favourite weapon... Guess that shows.
Reducing the size can easily be done without making it cramped. Reducing it by 10-20% might make the levels play better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back