• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Source Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSNTails

What part of 'RETIRED' don't you understand?
I find it rather fascinating that despite the hell raised about the source code not being available (more than just a441 was making noise), now that it's finally been out, nothing has happened.

I guess people just didn't realize how horrible I really do code. I tried to tell them...

Ironic, is it not? I think people were more concerned about the license agreement being fulfilled or something. I'm sure someone will do something with it though...

I'm doing something with it. Some fixes to the video code in 1.09 will be from a new SRB2-based game I've started working on.

What I'd like to see are some improvements to the renderer. Nah, I don't really mean slopes, but rather ability for my DCZ map to run without crashing. ;)

That has to do with the renderer? I thought it was a blockmap problem; if it was, it'll work now that the built-in blockmap builder is being used.

I'd say someone should program in real slopes, but at this point it seems we're really pusing the engine to its limits. Amazing as they are, Doom just wasn't meant to do most of the things it's doing now in SRB2. What someone should do is find a way to make OpenGL work properly, though that isn't likely to happen. Those are just my random thoughts on the subject.

I´m just learning how to program, and I know only the basics, so doing something in SRB2 could use too much time for now :| Anyway, I would like to do some badniks or bosses, it´s what I really want :mrgreen:

PD: But we´re going really slow in class, so I won´t be able to do much in a year or two... (I cannot do much with only ifs, whiles, dowhiles, fors, functions, arrays and structures :P) Maths died for me 3 years ago too ._.

Knuckles MetalMind said:
(I cannot do much with only ifs, whiles, dowhiles, fors, functions, arrays and structures :P)
You can't?

Add pointers to that list and you have pretty much every programming concept I've ever used.

Real slopes probably won't get done because:
1) Enemy movement would have to be written, and some of it is so complicated I can barely understand it already.
2) They wouldn't look right without 3D models, unless they were really shallow. The sprites don't have vertical angles.

That's in addition to the difficulty of getting them to even show up in the first place.

It also helps to be familiar with how the game works. If you haven't made any levels for it, for instance, you'll have real trouble understanding how maps are managed.

I made some levels for Doom in the past... But I should do some ones nowadays... I know some basics from the engine, but not too much... I know more about enemies and those things, like objects etc... :roll: Sectors are a little more boring, and I should practice with them :P

Here's the thing... not everyone knows how to program, and why would anyone bother coming out with slopes when they are going to be in SRB2 1.09 or 1.1?!?!

lostgamemaker said:
Here's the thing... not everyone knows how to program, and why would anyone bother coming out with slopes when they are going to be in SRB2 1.09 or 1.1?!?!

And where did you hear that slopes would be in SRB2 1.09 or 1.1 junior?

Slow down there, speed reader. If you're referring to the gadget mentioned in the "Slope Thing" topic, it's a fake slope made out of stairs. The only new part is that the physics would be slightly more realistic, and that Slope Thing may not actually make it in, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back