StH (the new one) has a demo out now on Xbox Live.

So is the demo any good?

• I love it. This is a must-buy.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I kinda like it - it's very fun.

• I don't really like it - really needs work.

• I dunno, I don't have a 360.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Hog

So how is it? I can't access it since I don't have access to Xbox Live Marketplace, but I've heard very mixed opinions, with one thing being fairly commonplace - people think it's a little too shoddy to be very well representative of the final product. Still, opinions would be nice.

All you need to know.....

I have just downloaded this demo on to my 360, and I have to say its very nice. I could see this selling well. Here's some info about the demo:

Only Sonic is playable. No Shadow or Silver.

The playable stage is Kingdom Valley.

The graphics look very nice. You have to play the game on an HD-ready tv to get the whole experience.

Sonic controls a bit more sluggishly than he normaly does. However, you will get used to how he plays quickly.

The demo also has the trailer, which plays after the stage is completed, that many have seen before. The new trailer with the Sweet Sweet remix is not present.

Overall, I liked what I saw. I'll be ready for this game when it hits stores in November.

Note: Note how Shadow the Hedgehog also came out in November. Lets hope the completed game won't share Shadow's curse.

In other news, DOOM is now on Xbox Live Arcade... and I hear the port is very good. Personally from watching it it looked fairly good, although they weren't using auto-run, and the sounds were randomly pitched (NOT a good thing IMO). Still, sounds like, otherwise, the gameplay is intact. The first episode's probably the demo (it always was), so maybe those with 360s could download it and say how much they liked it?

Doomness....and Next Gen Consoles

In response to Shadow Hog's Doom comment:

Well, the Doom demo was great from a graphical and gameplay standpoint. However, the sound was a bit off compared to the original music. (Though arranged, real heavy metal music would have been an awesome addition.) If I had more Microsoft Points (and more money :P ) I would buy the full version. Oh, and the trial is only the first stage. What a rip-off! :(

About the consoles:

360 and Wii all the way. I would buy the PS3 but.....500 dollars! (Or whatever equivalent for people in diffrent countries) Dear Lord that's too expensive! Lower the price a bit PLEASE! RIIIIDDDDDGGGGGGGEEEEEEE RAAAAAAACCCCCCEEEEEERRRRRR! FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE! (Igonre the tiny text. I couldn't help my self when it came to PS3 comments and general stupidness.)

Shadow Hog said:
So how is it? I can't access it since I don't have access to Xbox Live Marketplace, but I've heard very mixed opinions, with one thing being fairly commonplace - people think it's a little too shoddy to be very well representative of the final product. Still, opinions would be nice.
I came. Twice.

More when I have enough patience to give you guys a rundown. In other news, I have an excellent video camera and should be getting some gameplay captures up shortly.

Awww, again the PC people are left in the dust. :( But, at least we're getting some good comments here, especially from people who are here because of a fan game made to emulate the 2D games more than the 3D. I think it was Penny Arcade that I read all these horrible comments on how it's a load of junk, that the gameplay and the camera (especially the camera) are practically identical to the SA series. Personally, I liked both aspects, and actually like the way the camera always has worked; it kinda made the games feel more like Sonic in its own little way. Anywho, if that's how the game is looking now, I can't wait. :D

I've played it now. The camera is WORSE than the Adventure series, by a long shot. (Case in point - manually moving it is really slow, it likes to give you horrible angles over bottomless pits for show, it's going all over the place while you're in movement but not always where you want it to, sometimes it stutters while you're near an edge, etc.) The deadzone's not been handled very well - the slowest speed you can move at is the medium speed for most games (early Sonic ones included) and using the analog stick on the pause menu only gives you the extremity of the direction you pushed (while the digital pad works fine). The level design was okay, but it has way too many bottomless pits - are they ever going to figure out that's no fun? Physics errors abound, where flying robots can clip right through giant slabs of rock slamming in on their head, or where you can slip right through a box you should be interacting with.

It's a mess. A very pretty and kinda fun mess, but it really is a mess.

Ooo, just in time, I was just about to login to ebay uk to buy a 360 =3.

Shadow Hog said:
I've played it now. The camera is WORSE than the Adventure series, by a long shot. (Case in point - manually moving it is really slow, it likes to give you horrible angles over bottomless pits for show, it's going all over the place while you're in movement but not always where you want it to, sometimes it stutters while you're near an edge, etc.)

I don't really care about the camera, as long as it doesn't go all messy when I aproach a wall.

The deadzone's not been handled very well - the slowest speed you can move at is the medium speed for most games (early Sonic ones included)

Speed for life! Faster = better. ALWAYS.

The level design was okay, but it has way too many bottomless pits - are they ever going to figure out that's no fun?

I've gotta agree with that. If you fall in water, you should run to the spring and go out of there. Of course that should happen quickly before you drown.

Physics errors abound, where flying robots can clip right through giant slabs of rock slamming in on their head, or where you can slip right through a box you should be interacting with.

I never cared about glitches/clipping. Even better, I enjoy them. I have had sooo many fun going to forbidden levels with Sonic/Tails using glitches. Tails in emerald coast, Glitchy? No, FUN! And of course you have more fun like that.

I'm not asking much. I want speed, hopefully as fast as Sonic can run in Sonic X, and I want freedom in levels/adventure fields. Thats exactly what I loved in SADX, now I want it back in this game. SA2 kinda failed to me. A boring chao mode, no adventure fields, and less levels for Sonic. In SADX you had more then 10, and you also have bonus levels and adventure fields!

Overall impression : Rather good, but still needs work (I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, though, especially if the rumour about it being the TGS 2005 demo are true).

Sonic now excelerates more realistically (a contrast to the "Ice cube shoes on cling-film" control of Heroes and Shadow) . The homing attack seems more controlled now as well (if a litlle cumbersome, though). The main problem I had with it was the attack button, while pressing the X button sometimes would make Sonic perform his break dance esque Kick attack (ala Battle), other times it would send him hurtling of a cliff with no warning. Also, when attacked, Sonic no longer falls backwards, your still in full control, the only indication you have that you have lost rings is the sound effect and the flashing (which are both rather hard to notice in the heat of battle).

All in all though, it was still rather fun (yay for proper alternate routes, unlike the crappy fake diversions of Heroes). Nothing that can't (and hopefully, will) be fixed.

Super mystic sonic said:
I don't care about the control or camera......

NOT.AT.ALL
The rest of the world thinks control and camera is the most important part of a platformer, because honestly, it IS. If you can't control your character and see what the hell you're doing, then you can't play.

The fact that people are STILL dissing on the camera after all this tells me that SEGA STILL hasn't learned. Too bad, too, because some of the rest of this stuff actually looks kinda decent.

indexri2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back