Smash Cam - A Smash Bros-like dynamic 2D Camera

[Open Assets] Smash Cam - A Smash Bros-like dynamic 2D Camera v1

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Flame

WR 102
A script that aims to provide versatility to 2D Mode. It is my hope that script can open up the doors to some 2D Match maps in the future.

attachment.php

What's included?
  • Custom Map (MAP01) - Toasted Hills Zone by Akirahedgehog (This is a demonstraction map. Ported from 1.09.4, please excuse any errors)
  • 2 Lua scripts - One for object definition, and one for execution

But Flame! How do I use this?
Simple! On top of adding the 2D level parameter to your Level header, this script only adds 2 new objects. These include the Camera Minimum and Camera Maximum x, y, z boundaries. Please read carefully, this assumes you're working in Zone builder with a top-down oriented view.
  • Camera Minimum (mapthingnum 3095) boundary - Put this boundary in the map to define the CLOSESTpoint where your camera object cannot pass.
    • This boundary sets the following:
      • Leftmost X boundary
      • Uppermost Y boundary
      • Lowest Z boundary
  • Camera Maximum (mapthingnum 3096) boundary - Put this boundary in the map to define the FURTHESTpoint where your camera object cannot pass.
    • This boundary sets the following:
      • Rightmost X boundary
      • Lowermost Y boundary
      • Highest Z boundary

Issues, Problems, bugs?
  • Through rigorous testing, I've ironed out a lot of issues in coding this. If there is anything that would cause this code to behave irregularly, or stop working, please report it!
  • While this code works without the need for these camera boundaries, I cannot guarantee it will function the same way without them.

Special notes
  • Vanilla console commands such as cam_dist and cam_height are available
  • Vanilla button inputs such as your look up/down keys are also available if you're not content with the viewing angle.
  • If you intend to use this for your own purposes, all I ask is for some credit. That's all. :)

Supporters / CoAuthors

Attachments

• srb20313.gif
    srb20313.gif
    2.6 MB · Views: 529
  • srb20314.gif
    srb20314.gif
    2.7 MB · Views: 7,546
  • VL_SmashCam-v1.zip
    12.6 KB · Views: 552
Last edited by a moderator:
Can it works in 3D? I would love to see a Power-Stone like mod (combined with Battle Mode indeed).

I've always loved the way Smash Bros' camera worked and I wish more devs could take inspiration for some of their game

I feel like this is an essential script to have now when playing or even creating any 2D sections/levels in the future. Thanks for the release!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back