Icezer

Local Ice Cube Frien. Robotic Hedgehog Enthusiast.
Right before I got the chance to finally put this in submissions, I found out about a 2.1 mod known as the Super Sonic Challenge, which basically does the same thing as this. However, since I already coded this whole thing, I figured why not submit it anyway.

The Doomsday Challenge consists of 1 general rule: Don't run out of rings, or you'll die.

This challenge puts the player into a super form instantly upon starting a map, except your ring supply is limited.

You start with 20 rings, and although that sounds easy the later zones will prove quite the challenge.

Boss levels are the only exception to the above, where the player is given more rings to compensate the lack thereof.

The player will also receive 25 rings if they collect an Emerald Token.

All of the above is only while factoring the defaults, however.
By typing certain variables into the console, you can have a much more customizable experience.

The variables are:
ddmaprings - Can be set between 20 and 50; The amount of rings the player starts with in a regular map.
ddbossrings - Can be set between 40 and 80; The amount of rings the player starts with against bosses.
ddlbossrings - Can be set between 60 and 100; The amount of rings the player starts with against longer bosses (Such as Fang or Egg Colosseum in CEZ3.)
ddfbossrings - Can be set between 110 and 150; The amount of rings the player starts with against Metal Sonic and Metal Robotnik.
ddtrings - Can be set between 25 and 50; The amount of rings the player receives upon collecting an Emerald Token.

Have fun with the Doomsday Challenge!

Oh, and before I forget, All base characters are supported.

Attachments

• srb20031.jpg
    srb20031.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 878
  • srb20029.jpg
    srb20029.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 642
  • srb20030.jpg
    srb20030.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 456
  • srb20032.jpg
    srb20032.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 453
  • srb20033.jpg
    srb20033.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 442
  • srb20034.jpg
    srb20034.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 523
  • VL_DoomsdayChallenge-v1.zip
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,154
Last edited:
YOOOOOO I loved this challenge in 2.1!

I honestly think this should be an extra gamemode like Ultimate Mode, this gives the game so much more replayability and adds a whole new spin on things.

I feel like there should be a console command which can toggle giving the player 1 life only, to make the game even MORE challenging

A little suggestion would be that when you're under a certain amount of rings (maybe 15 or 10) perhaps make the music speed up, like in The Doomsday Zone/Egg Reverie Zone

Last edited:
This can be a fun challenge honestly.

On a side note is this possible to create a Doomsday Zone for the final level of a mod?

This reminds me of a romhack of Sonic 1 with the same premise. There's an aspect of that hack I'd like to suggest as an option, and that's carrying over rings to each level. Instead of starting levels with a static amount, you start only the first level with rings. From there you start each subsequent level with however many rings you had. I believe checkpoints also start you off with however many rings you had at the time of activation.

This leads to a challenge of foresight where you can easily trap yourself when running out, and makes bosses that much more rushed to get through. At the same time, with enough stockpiling, you can have a more than comfortable amount and get through stages with more leeway.

This reminds me of a romhack of Sonic 1 with the same premise. There's an aspect of that hack I'd like to suggest as an option, and that's carrying over rings to each level. Instead of starting levels with a static amount, you start only the first level with rings. From there you start each subsequent level with however many rings you had. I believe checkpoints also start you off with however many rings you had at the time of activation.

This leads to a challenge of foresight where you can easily trap yourself when running out, and makes bosses that much more rushed to get through. At the same time, with enough stockpiling, you can have a more than comfortable amount and get through stages with more leeway.
This should be a console command because getting stuck wouldn't be fun.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back