SRB2 Chromebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no port of SRB2 to Chromebooks, in fact there aren't many supported ports anymore except maybe Mac and Linux and neither of which have working netplay support IIRC. Someone was working on an Android port at one point which may have been able to help you in some capacity as some Chromebooks are able to run android apps now, but the person working on it dropped off the team for some reason and nobody's picked up the effort for it.

Perhaps looking into WINE or some alternative way to run windows programs on your Chromebook would be in your best interest?

Last edited:
There is no port of SRB2 to Chromebooks, in fact there aren't many supported ports anymore except maybe Mac and Linux and neither of which have working netplay support IIRC.

Actually, they do have netplay support; the problems you're thinking of were all to do with 64-bit builds of SRB2 (Linux 64-bit or otherwise), which IIRC are fixed now as of a few months ago.

Wow, why am I replying to such an old post again?

Anyways, I'm 90% sure the SRB2 Web Beta made by (help me I forgot) can be used on Chromebooks. It's a good thing I bookmarked it!

https://srb2web.surge.sh/

EDIT: I forgot to mention that netgames won't work on the Web Beta. You're stuck in Single Player and Local MP. Mods work tho :)

Anyways, I'm 90% sure the SRB2 Web Beta made by (help me I forgot) can be used on Chromebooks. It's a good thing I bookmarked it!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that netgames won't work on the Web Beta. You're stuck in Single Player and Local MP. Mods work tho :)
Additionally, the Android port may work too, if you are able to install APKs, since Chrome OS can run Android apps.

Additionally, the Android port may work too, if you are able to install APKs, since Chrome OS can run Android apps.

But you'd also have to move the data files into a folder, and I don't even know where that IS.

A third party file manager can view them and edit them.
IIRC on Android, the apps are at root > Android > Data.
They should be at a similar location in Chrome OS.

So we need to go explore.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that netgames won't work on the Web Beta. You're stuck in Single Player and Local MP. Mods work tho :)[/QUOkinda]

It's not reliable since updating to a new version on the web is gonna have to wait since the base game needs to get more stable. So you're gonna need to just grab any phone and play the android port.

...if i get a android ill be more then happy to play :)
Look at this:

...Chrome OS can run Android apps.
You could play the SRB2 mobile port on a Chromebook too. You just need the directory SRB2 is installed in, which on Android devices is
Code:
/Android/Data
so it may be in a similar location on Chromebooks. (But the default file manager may hide it, so you need to use a third-party one)

Play the SRB2 FlatHub Version, I use that for SRB2, and its kinda easy to put mods in, you press show hidden files, then go to .var (the folder all FlatHub apps go to) > app > org.srb2.SRB2 > srb2 > then make ur addons folder (FlatHub Version doesn't have SRB2.srb, .pk3, nor .wad, but don't worry, the game runs 2.2 perfectly, although having mostly 2.1 screenshots)

As the owner of a chromebook, I can tell you that chromebooks are literally just big androids with keyboards. Anything that works on android should work on a chromebook.

Failing that, with some technical knowhow you can install linux on it and use a linux port. I did so. I'm not sure I'd recommend it though, it voids the warranty iirc and the chromebook will yell at you for it every time you turn it on. Definitely makes it less completely freaking useless though.

Play the SRB2 FlatHub Version, I use that for SRB2, and its kinda easy to put mods in, you press show hidden files, then go to .var (the folder all FlatHub apps go to) > app > org.srb2.SRB2 > srb2 > then make ur addons folder (FlatHub Version doesn't have SRB2.srb, .pk3, nor .wad, but don't worry, the game runs 2.2 perfectly, although having mostly 2.1 screenshots)
Where's the "hidden files" button thing?

But what if your chromebook dosen't support apks?
Yeah, you have to remember that SRB2 is not on the play store, I think flatpak is the best way to go if you really want to run it, using the apk method forces you to activate debugging, developer mode, and you have to be able to use the Linux terminal, I used that method to get minecraft PE running, it's too tedious.

Yeah, you have to remember that SRB2 is not on the play store, I think flatpak is the best way to go if you really want to run it, using the apk method forces you to activate debugging, developer mode, and you have to be able to use the Linux terminal, I used that method to get minecraft PE running, it's too tedious.
There is tutorial videos for devmode on Chromebook to get Linux apps running. I'm watching an SRB2 run tutorial that's about four-and-a-half minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back