Resource icon

[Open Assets] Sneakerless Record Attack - For Kart v1.3 [Revision 2] 1.3r3

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Latius

Hybrid Kart Mapper/Porter
In the event I do not log in for a month and cannot be contacted, I give blanket permission for STJr and its appointed staff to coordinate and approve the porting and maintenance of my standard SRB2 releases on the SRB2MB, except where stated otherwise. I reserve the right to ask for those ports to be taken down or replaced if I return. You may not edit my work to create other content (such as Original Characters or Remix Stages) unless specified.

The Stray Banana and SonicD

Presents:

Sneakerless Record Attack
For Kart Version 1.3​

Features:
  • 230 Medals to collect - 1 Platnum, 76 Gold, 76 Silver, 76 Bronze and 1 Bonus
  • Sneakerless medals for all 75 base game maps, INCLUDING the Map HELL and Community maps
  • No Item Boxes during Record Attack - so that you don't get any Sneakers
  • Challenging Map HELL Silver and Gold medals
  • One of the few allowed mods for The Stray Banana's Sneakerless Time Attack leaderboards

Sneakerless RA HUD:
attachment.php

Thanks to DanielDapple for helping sort out the Silver and Gold times, and LunarRay for the Bronze times

Changelog:

v1.3 r1 - Fixed a typo in Misty Maze's time.
v1.3 r2 - Fixed a mistake in Sub-Zero Peak's time and adapted the bonus medal times

Supporters / Co-Authors:

Attachments

• kart0358.jpg
    kart0358.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 258
  • SneakerlessHUD.png
    SneakerlessHUD.png
    291.2 KB · Views: 2,040
  • kart0360.jpg
    kart0360.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 295
  • KL_SneakerlessRA-KV1_3_r2.pk3
    6.3 KB · Views: 218
Last edited by a moderator:
Woops, somehow Misty Maze had a minute lost from the gold and silver times? Well, not anymore, as I've pushed out a Revision to fix that.

An interesting take on record attack that can be challenging, a rather neat idea! However, some of the Gold medal times seem a bit too difficult to get, and the mod kinda feels like it's forcing a player to use the more high-speed stats. The regular record attack is able to have all stats obtain all gold medal times(Some have to work harder than others to obtain all gold) But this mod makes it impossible for the low speeds to achieve the same feat. Perhaps a revaluation in all the times could be considered to try and even the playing field for all stats, especially the low speed ones?

An interesting take on record attack that can be challenging, a rather neat idea! However, some of the Gold medal times seem a bit too difficult to get, and the mod kinda feels like it's forcing a player to use the more high-speed stats. The regular record attack is able to have all stats obtain all gold medal times(Some have to work harder than others to obtain all gold) But this mod makes it impossible for the low speeds to achieve the same feat. Perhaps a revaluation in all the times could be considered to try and even the playing field for all stats, especially the low speed ones?

The Gold times are meant to be somewhat challenging, and Daniel did test them with other characters other than his main choice to see if they can be done. But I see you're not complaining that much about the Silver times - Silver times are intended for anyone to reach if they get good, while Gold would require more skill.

Although regarding Gold times, someone pointed out a typo on my end with SZPZ, which I have corrected, along with the bonus medals, in Revision 2.

I do not see it as a disadvantage of the addon, I see it as an advantage, that is the idea unlike the regular Time Attack, the player must also learn to select other characters according to the tracks, and thus achieve other records that one did not believe achieve before.

The times required for Gold Medals are a reference that tells me that I can still improve on these tracks. I am at least learning thanks this mod.

I do not see it as a disadvantage of the addon, I see it as an advantage, that is the idea unlike the regular Time Attack, the player must also learn to select other characters according to the tracks, and thus achieve other records that one did not believe achieve before.

The times required for Gold Medals are a reference that tells me that I can still improve on these tracks. I am at least learning thanks this mod.

I disagree with this addon completely I deiced to test this out and also test this out with friends. They did not like it due to having to play this chars they do not like using. They cant find the value of playing Shadow or Sonic or Metal sonic witch is high speeds instead of playing their fave chars. Its pretty much a one sided fist fight. I think that this mod need some fine tuning. At least something for lower speeds as well otherwise I just don't even see the point in trying it.

I disagree with this addon completely I deiced to test this out and also test this out with friends. They did not like it due to having to play this chars they do not like using. They cant find the value of playing Shadow or Sonic or Metal sonic witch is high speeds instead of playing their fave chars. Its pretty much a one sided fist fight. I think that this mod need some fine tuning. At least something for lower speeds as well otherwise I just don't even see the point in trying it.

Then clearly this isn't meant for you as such. It's more aimed at those who want to try and set fast times without sneakers.

Then clearly this isn't meant for you as such. It's more aimed at those who want to try and set fast times without sneakers.
It isn't really isn't I thought it was with the concept you had yeah. Reason why I showed it to my friends, and other folks It wasn't fun for them since they are forced to play high speed chars and it wasn't really worth all the effort if there nothing going for them. They all went back to RA. I'm not saying this isn't a bad mod it really isn't but when I showed it out to folks it was boring (Per what most was saying.) It was like taking the srb2 out of kart and just gave it kart. (And that says alot.)

Last edited:
this mod has an interesting concept, but it just fails horribly due to the fact that most tracks sneaker-less are kind of bland and very boring. i've been a kart player for a long time, and RA never really interested me at all, minus getting all the gold medals, which is a very bland and boring process in itself, and while this is an interesting take on it, just don't see the appeal of doing tracks sneaker-less, since that's what makes a boring mode even LESS interesting.

you could say that this isn't for me, and y'know what, i'd agree with you. RA just isn't my forte unlike most other people, that comes to online racing, where about 95% of my playtime comes from. so yeah, maybe it isn't built for me, but i do like the concept, it's just executed very poorly (imo) and could've been done much better

tl;dr: interesting concept, but is executed somewhat poorly and just not for me. if i had to rate it, would give it a 6/10

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back