• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Sonic and the Broken World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felicia.iso

Simple coder girl
i am currenlty working in a level pack called "sonic in the broken world"

story:
afters the events of srb2 eggman finally manages to stole the chaos emeralds and creates the "chaos computer" that is able to modify the entire planet, eggman tries to use it to create "eggman land" but the computer is too strong and has a mind of his own, he turns eggman into stone and transforms the world into a broken mess!
sonic has now to find the chaos computer and take the 7 emeralds back to destroy it!

this project is still in beta but i do sometimes open a server for people to test it

this project will have in total 16 levels: (curvy numbers are for levels not completed yet)
story levels:
Broken Flower zone 1 2 3
Techno Crashing zone 1 2 3 4
Chaos computer zone 1 2 3
System Core zone 1 2 T2 3
bonus levels:
Hidden Palace zone
Lost Factory zone
(I'll add more levels after 1.0 is out)
currently working on: BFZ2

Attachments

• srb20005.png
    srb20005.png
    177.8 KB · Views: 723
  • srb20000.png
    srb20000.png
    109.7 KB · Views: 689
  • srb20002.png
    srb20002.png
    60 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:
BFZ 3 completed

i have finished act 3 of broken flower zone
"since the chaos machine can create a fake version of eggman, why dont make 2?"
in act 3 you have to fight 2 egg mobiles in a not too easy but not hard fight

Attachments

• srb20020.png
    srb20020.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
TCZ3 completed

i finished Techno Chrashing Zone 3

"while searching for the chaos computer you encounter a fake metal sonic that challenges you to a race, maybe he will bring you to the computer"

i like how the zone is but its maybe its too easy and short so i will probably change it in the future

Attachments

• srb20021.png
    srb20021.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 424
  • srb20008.gif
    srb20008.gif
    7.6 MB · Views: 426
The idea sounds interesting, but I'm going to give my advice: a storyline shouldn't be an excuse to just make some walls redwalls and to make it impossible to tell one liquid from another.

If you really want to keep with that storyline, why not instead of just breaking the levels, making the levels appear to be slowly becoming more and more cybernetic, as if the code of the world is slowly failing?

Also, I'm going to give some constructive criticism on the other zones that you have shown:
Hidden Palace: PLEASE don't use the waterfall textures as just a wall texture. The textures work best if you create a water FOF which has depth and looks like a waterfall, and you apply those textures to that. Also, I get where you are coming from with the platforming, but maybe try to make segments like that more than just "platform and dodge bees".
Final Chaos: It's good for a boss arena, I guess. The texture choice isn't the best, but I've already voiced that.
Techno Trouble (3's end?) - Try and decorate the end's entrance to the "corrupted computer". Right now, it just looks bland.

This isn't me being rude, this is me voicing my concerns for your level pack. Try and improve on your level design as well. RN it is very reminiscent of Final Demo era level design, which whilst it is a good start, shouldn't be your peak with this stuff.

If you're making zones this fast, then it is usually an indication that they were made with very minimal detail and with a lot of empty space. Slow down and give the current zones some good detail and thing-placement passes. They don't have to be at the quality of Azure Paradise or Neo Palmtree, just good enough to not look like they were rushed out the door.

A good level pack can take months to make (which can depend on one's proficiency with Zone Builder and the amount of detail that is intended), so you shouldn't feel pressured to get it out by a certain date.

The idea sounds interesting, but I'm going to give my advice: a storyline shouldn't be an excuse to just make some walls redwalls and to make it impossible to tell one liquid from another.

If you really want to keep with that storyline, why not instead of just breaking the levels, making the levels appear to be slowly becoming more and more cybernetic, as if the code of the world is slowly failing?

Also, I'm going to give some constructive criticism on the other zones that you have shown:
Hidden Palace: PLEASE don't use the waterfall textures as just a wall texture. The textures work best if you create a water FOF which has depth and looks like a waterfall, and you apply those textures to that. Also, I get where you are coming from with the platforming, but maybe try to make segments like that more than just "platform and dodge bees".
Final Chaos: It's good for a boss arena, I guess. The texture choice isn't the best, but I've already voiced that.
Techno Trouble (3's end?) - Try and decorate the end's entrance to the "corrupted computer". Right now, it just looks bland.

This isn't me being rude, this is me voicing my concerns for your level pack. Try and improve on your level design as well. RN it is very reminiscent of Final Demo era level design, which whilst it is a good start, shouldn't be your peak with this stuff.

thanks for the advice, i really like the idea of the code slowly falling apart and ill try to implement it;
for hidden palace its ok, i will remove the waterfalls but the stage itself is meant to be the stage for the last emerald so it has a medium length and hard difficulty and it will also have a conveyor belt area a 2D area a underwater one when the level will seperate in 2 ways the high muntain one and the dark underwater one, the last one being harder and having an extra life;
final chaos (and also unknown chaos) are the core of the computer meant to be a monocromatic hell where he does what he wants, the computer itself doesnt want e nice place he wants chaos (you can see that from the sky) and act 1 will show that better, i hope;
the act 3 of techno crashing its also a beta level of itself, its meant to be the idea of it and its not the final result, this is why the zone looks empty.

thanks again for the reply i appreciate it

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

If you're making zones this fast, then it is usually an indication that they were made with very minimal detail and with a lot of empty space. Slow down and give the current zones some good detail and thing-placement passes. They don't have to be at the quality of Azure Paradise or Neo Palmtree, just good enough to not look like they were rushed out the door.

A good level pack can take months to make (which can depend on one's proficiency with Zone Builder and the amount of detail that is intended), so you shouldn't feel pressured to get it out by a certain date.

thanks for the reply
the zones themselves (exept unknown chaos 2 and final chaos) are in their beta state, they are the idea of the level not the final result, some levels are still too short and require to be continued (also broken flower 1 beign my first ever level is like horrile and i will probably redo it from scratch)

I didn't mean for you to remove the waterfalls, I meant for you to make them proper water FOF waterfalls instead of just the wall texture, but you do you.

I didn't mean for you to remove the waterfalls, I meant for you to make them proper water FOF waterfalls instead of just the wall texture, but you do you.

oh, well I actually liked the waterfalls so i will keep them... making fofs everywhere will be hard but ill try

new texture for broken parts

i made new texture for where its supposen to be broken, these one looks way better than before, now the code of the map truly is falling apart!

Attachments

• srb20016.gif
    srb20016.gif
    7.6 MB · Views: 324
i made new texture for where its supposen to be broken, these one looks way better than before, now the code of the map truly is falling apart!
Right now, the map is in desperate need of a layout that is more sophisticated and detailed than a long corridor (even if it has the occasional slope and pit).

There are the usual warnings about not making it too open (for reasons of keeping the player from getting lost), but you don't want to make the level too closed either, and very long corridors with high walls are pretty closed for outdoor areas.

Right now, the map is in desperate need of a layout that is more sophisticated and detailed than a long corridor (even if it has the occasional slope and pit).

There are the usual warnings about not making it too open (for reasons of keeping the player from getting lost), but you don't want to make the level too closed either, and very long corridors with high walls are pretty closed for outdoor areas.

That part of the level is only the start and it is made to be a run & jump area where you run at full speed trying to dodge the pits the level itself comtinues later and its not totally closed and has also open spaces
Thanks for the tip i will remember it when doing next levels

It looks like it's an unclosed sector. Ensure whether the highlighted sector is indeed the one you expect and that is closed. Otherwise use the "New Sector" tool.

i hope temporary fix

i guess this is better
(failed to fix it so ill try this for now...)
also made a new spoiler

Attachments

• srb20027.gif
    srb20027.gif
    3.1 MB · Views: 417
  • srb20026.gif
    srb20026.gif
    7.2 MB · Views: 488
Lost Factory Zone

Welcome to TRUE HELL, if Unknown Chaos is not hard enough, this long and unfair stage surely will be!

Attachments

• srb20035.gif
    srb20035.gif
    6.6 MB · Views: 434
hmm

testing the new bosses the game crashed with:
Process killed by signal: SIGFPE - mathematical exception
what crash is that?
(the gif shuld be an example of when it crashed)
edit:i should have fixed it now, apparently the game doesnt like 2 metal sonics in one arena

Attachments

• srb20038.gif
    srb20038.gif
    3.7 MB · Views: 501
Last edited:
Welcome to TRUE HELL, if Unknown Chaos is not hard enough, this long and unfair stage surely will be!
A small warning, making an intentionally unfair stage will get you a lot of negative criticism if it is still like that once you release your level pack.

To note, no one here has a problem with difficult stages if they can be beaten with skill and the right amount of vigilance (with enough starposts to prevent redoing large areas), but sending the player to his death seemingly at random is frowned upon.

A small warning, making an intentionally unfair stage will get you a lot of negative criticism if it is still like that once you release your level pack.

To note, no one here has a problem with difficult stages if they can be beaten with skill and the right amount of vigilance (with enough starposts to prevent redoing large areas), but sending the player to his death seemingly at random is frowned upon.

thanks for the tip, with beign unfair i meant that you would have died a lot of times making it seem unfair (but its just very very hard) since the level was meant to take all the space in the map editor with 3 sections and 3 bosses but since doing a map so big makes the game broke and since i cant use 2 metal sonics in one boss battle, i nerfed the level a lot, making it way more smaller and reducing the sections and bosses to 2 (you will still be able to find only a total of 3 rings and only 3 pity shield) it probably wont reach unfair difficulty, but i could do in the future another map pack with levels like those
edit: also if i add more starpost since the few rings you can find you will always have 0 rings and basically always die so ill only add starpost in rooms where you will find rings (except for the starpost of when you reach the second section)

Attachments

• srb20050.gif
    srb20050.gif
    6.7 MB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back