This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

BlueZero4

(not a palindrome)
A heads-up display that gets out of your way.

Because the life count is hidden, I've included a script to prevent the player from running out of lives (courtesy Kaysakado).

Attachments

• srb20008.jpg
    srb20008.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 1,833
  • bz4hud-v2.pk3
    1.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Because the life count is hidden, I've included a script to prevent the player from running out of lives

So this hud makes the players a god?
Well ik someone already replied with this idea but.....what?

Apologies; I know that's out of left field.

This is a component of a larger level pack that I'm working toward, and I wanted to release the HUD separately. I wanted to remove the life system from said level pack, and I thought it made sense to include that component here.

I've spoken about my desire to remove the lives system from SRB2 in a few other threads, so I figured that some folks would have expected this of me.

"Infinite lives makes you a god." -- Sortof. The lives system rewards a resource management game, where you should be scouting the levels for 100s of rings and 1ups in order to bolster your life count, hoping to gain lives faster than you lose them. Infinite lives removes the resource management part of the game, but as a player, you still require segment mastery in order to complete stages.

Shrug.

Tbh in the vanilla campaign theres no difference between having limited lives and unlimited lives, I usually get like 40 lives before reaching techno hill zone. (srb2 devs if ur reading this PLEASE nerf NiGHTS stages)

at long last, a hud that does not distract me from my gaming shenanigans (its a cute hud though)
im glad someone also thinks that lives are kinda dumb. they worked during the arcade days where arcade owners wanted more coins from your pocket, but now that arcades are practically dead theres no real need for lives aside from humiliating the player with a sad song (the SA1 game over theme STILL bothers me.....)
*high fives OP*

Oh perfect! The only 2 main things i care about in a game, Rings and Time. Would of loved an option to have stuff togglable but thats for another thread

Because the life count is hidden, I've included a script to prevent the player from running out of lives (courtesy Kaysakado).
I would recommend that the life counter appears only when you get an extra life (like a little scrolling animation showing you how many lives you have). This just puts you in a "Creative Mode" kind of experience, and it just makes it.... boring? I dunno man, otherwise you did a pretty decent job. Looking forward to updates.

I would recommend that the life counter appears only when you get an extra life (like a little scrolling animation showing you how many lives you have). This just puts you in a "Creative Mode" kind of experience, and it just makes it.... boring? I dunno man, otherwise you did a pretty decent job. Looking forward to updates.
The "lives only shows up when gaining a 1-up or dying" is what they did for Donkey Kong Country and I like that.

One of the recent few versions of SRB2 changed how HUD locations were handled, which pushed the HUD locations farther into the corners. I've attached a revised version (v2) to the original post that corrects for this.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back