This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Between the reignited trilogy and fan-made mods such as this one I feel like Spyro is going into its renaissance era like Sonic Mania did.

I've been following this mod prior to it being blessed with a unique sprite-set, and seeing said sprites cleansed of excess outlining and other oddities is much obliged.
My only criticism is more of a nitpick, I've never been a fan of the palette Spyro uses in-game, the colors look washed out to the point of appearing navy blue rather than pure purple at times.

Updated to v2.1. This version nerfs Spyro's ability to turn while charging, and said nerf can be set on/off with the "spyrochargeturn" console variable. Along with some other fixes and tweaks Spyro can now shoot an electric bolt when he has an Electric/Attraction Shield. The electric bolt can be charged up for a more powerful shot, Megaman-style.

(Maybe more powerful? he still shoots the smaller bolt that continues on after the big bolt hits the enemy, that and most enemies die in one hit).

Linky: (DEAD)
https://mb.srb2.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=34161&d=1593978709

Last edited:
I've been playing with Spyro for a bit before the update, and he is quite fun to use. However, when I try adding him to KHBlast - my own mod - it becomes a bit of an issue. So, I thought to myself, what if I was able to try and get as much of his controls onto just Custom 3 and Jump, using the latter for the hovering by having it need to glide for a short while before checking for a hover, and the former for the bits which are done using the other stuff, but context sensitive - IE only flaming when on the ground, and ground bashing while in the air. Which mostly works, but then I realised something - Spyro flat out does damage in his own way, and it would need modifying to work in KHBlast...

So because of this, I'm going to make a new function set for KHBlast which allows custom characters who do damage like Spyro here does to be able to sort out said damage.

I've been playing with Spyro for a bit before the update, and he is quite fun to use. However, when I try adding him to KHBlast - my own mod - it becomes a bit of an issue. So, I thought to myself, what if I was able to try and get as much of his controls onto just Custom 3 and Jump, using the latter for the hovering by having it need to glide for a short while before checking for a hover, and the former for the bits which are done using the other stuff, but context sensitive - IE only flaming when on the ground, and ground bashing while in the air. Which mostly works, but then I realised something - Spyro flat out does damage in his own way, and it would need modifying to work in KHBlast...

So because of this, I'm going to make a new function set for KHBlast which allows custom characters who do damage like Spyro here does to be able to sort out said damage.

Yea, Spyro's a bit of an oddball compared to other characters. What with his many moves spread across different buttons and his special snowflake enemy damage system, all in the name of faithfulness to his original games, right down to his slow-as-molasses speed.

I've also had thoughts on how to better integrate Spyro with KHBlast, but I'm interested to see how you will pull it off.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for giving life to my favorite dragon. <3
However, a few things.

1) Will there ever be plans to import the original model you used for 3D support?

2) You really should not have made Eggman bosses be flame instead of charge, because that just completely fucks with the entire way that some of those boss fights are meant to be played on a fundamental level. For example, the CEZ boss is SO AGGRAVATING w/o A) being able to charge and bounce off of it, or B) a real projectile attack (since the flame is really more of just a close/mid-ranged melee attack and stops reaching the boss after the first hit). Idk if this was something that was changed, but if so, it should've been Eggman = Charge for the first 4 bosses of the game. Which makes more sense anyways because he's in a big metal eggmobile, right?

EDIT:
3) There's an... I guess "exploit"? Where you can essentially walljump/climb by exploiting the bonk w/ hovering. Not sure if somebody else has already mentioned this or if you already know about it, but ill just post it anyway.

Attachments

• srb20000-1(1).gif
    srb20000-1(1).gif
    7.4 MB · Views: 226
Last edited:
The model I used to render Spyro is waay too hi-poly. I could try with one of his PS1-style lo-poly models, however I'm not sure if there is a stable md3 i/o script/plugin for Blender.

I can probably implement the ability to charge most bosses, however you're still likely gonna have a bad time with the CEZ boss with how bonking currently works.

Bonking up against walls is still a weird quirk that needs to be sorted thanks for pointing that out.

The model I used to render Spyro is waay too hi-poly. I could try with one of his PS1-style lo-poly models, however I'm not sure if there is a stable md3 i/o script/plugin for Blender.

I can probably implement the ability to charge most bosses, however you're still likely gonna have a bad time with the CEZ boss with how bonking currently works.

Bonking up against walls is still a weird quirk that needs to be sorted thanks for pointing that out.

i would really like to see (if possible) ps1 Spyro model as md3

Is this implying that you incorporated Tatsuru's Sparx code from the OLDC map into the .pk3? o.o

No, I didn't incorporate any of the Sparx code or assets from the OLDC map. All I'm doing is checking for the Sparx related variables.

This is all I'm doing code-wise:
Code:
--sparx allows spyro to not drown/spacedrown
            if p.mo.sparx and p.mo.sparx.valid and p.mo.sparx.health --does sparx exist and has health?
                if p.powers[pw_underwater] > 0
                    p.powers[pw_underwater] = 1050
                end
                if p.powers[pw_spacetime] > 0
                    p.powers[pw_spacetime] = 403
                end
             end
If you've sneaked a peek into the wad, you'll also find some more integration shenanigans related to the gem baskets from that map as well. ;)
Code:
--special handling for gem containers (chests, vases, baskets, etc.)
            if constantExists("MT_SPYRO_BASKET")
                if enemy.type == MT_SPYRO_BASKET --requires a special fixed version of the basket code, otherwise it does fuck-all but play sounds
                    enemy.charged = true --supposed to set spawned gem as 'marked' and not 'airborne' to enable homing
                    enemy.charger = mo --target for the marked gem to home in on
                    S_StartSound(enemy, sfx_bskbrk)
                end
            end

Last edited:
Updated to v3.0, because seven ate nine. Refactored and rewrote a lot of code, consolidated flame/charge/glide/etc. into a single .lua file. Also has many tweaks and fixes. Don't forget to report any issues that pop up, hopefully nothing probably broke during the refactor, even with my billion hours of playtesting.

Also purged the old versions, that attachment list was getting uncomfortably long. RIP links, hope nobody was relying on them.. :S

Link:
https://mb.srb2.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=39797&d=1601833917

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back