SRB2 Mac OS X Port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jon God said:
Violo said:
MD2.dat is for MD2's (you know, models?) only. That usually appears in OpenGL straight away 'cause... wait, doesn't that only appear when you type in GR_MD2 1? Never mind, if that's the only error, it's nothing.

That's the thing, it keeps unexpectedly quiting... Right on launch, the log ends on that.
Perhaps the game is too deep on your hard drive. Can you move it to the Applications folder or your desktop and try running it from there?

There's also the possibility that Rosetta isn't accurately emulating a PPC mac and maybe it doesn't really work on a real one. Or maybe it's not compatible with 10.4 even though it should be, I haven't tested it there. I've tested it on my Mac Pro running 10.5, I've tested it in VMWare Fusion running 10.5, and a friend of mine tested it on his MacBook Pro running 10.5. So everyone I know have used it were all running Intel machines with 10.5.

Would it be possible to make a version that would run on OSX 3.9? I'm not asking you to make one but I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to get it to work.

MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET

you would need to recompile libpng(in tools/libpng-src/projects/XCode/libpng.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj), SDL and SDL_Mixer framework to have MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET set to 10.3 or lower
SRB2 1.1's XCode project the libpng framework already have
Code:
                                GCC_VERSION_i386 = 4.0;
                                GCC_VERSION_ppc = 3.3;
                                "MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET[arch=i386]" = 10.4;
                                "MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET[arch=ppc]" = 10.2;
                                MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET_i386 = 10.4;
                                MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET_ppc = 10.2;
                                PREBINDING = NO;
                                SDKROOT = "$(DEVELOPER_SDK_DIR)/MacOSX10.4u.sdk";
                                "SDKROOT[arch=i386]" = "$(DEVELOPER_SDK_DIR)/MacOSX10.4u.sdk";
                                "SDKROOT[arch=ppc]" = "$(DEVELOPER_SDK_DIR)/MacOSX10.2.8.sdk";
                                SDKROOT_i386 = "$(DEVELOPER_SDK_DIR)/MacOSX10.4u.sdk";
                                SDKROOT_ppc = "$(DEVELOPER_SDK_DIR)/MacOSX10.2.8.sdk";
there alot more settings, but I think this batch of settings should do

akirahedgehog said:
Would it be possible to make a version that would run on OSX 3.9? I'm not asking you to make one but I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to get it to work.
As Alam has stated, it wouldn't be too hard. It'd just be a matter of recompiling everything.

However, Xcode does not let you build something targeted for Mac OS X 10.3.9 as a Universal binary, because the switch to Intel occurred when 10.4 was out. So it's not really worth it from my standpoint. I'm fairly certain 10.3.9 is capable of running a Universal Binary just fine, but Xcode won't let me produce one. (I released a program awhile back that was intended for 10.4 and higher, yet someone with 10.3.9 was able to run it just fine as long as they didn't try to open any files with it.)

you have to get your hands on the old SDKs packages, look for them in the XCode 2.5 package from Apple Dev website

The reason I would use 10.3.9 is because I have a teacher at school who would like me to show him SRB2 but the computers in his lab are old and only run 10.3.9 and the school won't update them anytime soon. I'll talk to him about getting that working though, thanks.

Sappharad said:
Perhaps the game is too deep on your hard drive. Can you move it to the Applications folder or your desktop and try running it from there?

Well, son of a gun, this worked, after all the stuff I tried. Thank you!

Jon God said:
Sappharad said:

Well, son of a gun, this worked, after all the stuff I tried. Thank you!
Yes, the same thing happened to me on the previous page of this thread. For some reason, SRB2 has a path limit of 128 characters. I bumped it up to 256 for my Mac build, assuming it would be good enough for everyone.

I could bump the limit up again to 512, but with my luck someone will manage to put it somewhere deep enough that would cause that to fail too. If this limitation still exists when 1.1 comes out, maybe I'll see if I can replace the hard-allocated character array with a cString which would solve this.

Spazzo said:
Holy crap, it's you! Where have YOU been? :o

I've been around. ;P

Me and my buddies have gotten back into SRB2 a little lately, namely my cousins and my girlfriend (new gf, that picture is ancient), so I needed to grab this.

I might dip back into the community.

full srb2 for mac

is the version you made for mac the ful version of srb2?
or is it only a few things?

It's got everything the Windows version has. The only problem with using a Mac is that there's no good lump editor or map editor for them.

SRB2Mac.png

possible mac port for final release?

Is there any possibility of another OS X port being made when the final game is released?

Re: possible mac port for final release?

Falvern57 said:
Is there any possibility of another OS X port being made when the final game is released?
Somebody will get around to it eventually, but we'll all probably be too busy playing to actually get do it for around a week. >_>

Kaysakado said:
Falvern57 said:
Somebody will get around to it eventually, but we'll all probably be too busy playing to actually get do it for around a week. >_>

As long as one is made at some point, I'll be content enough.

Falvern57 said:
Kaysakado said:
Falvern57 said:

As long as one is made at some point, I'll be content enough.
I mentioned on the previous page that I plan to do it.
Check back a day or two after the PC version is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back