my first mod but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

icecrest

I just finished my first mod (well to make it I used pictures from the supersonic wad) but if my character ascends too high the game stops how do I fix this problem?
PS I used SLumpEd mod editor

Every time you load the character WAD in SLumpEd, it's gonna change the lowercase lump names back into capitals. Therefore, any changes you make to a character WAD in SLumpEd requires you to fix these lump names before you save.

If it has a map in it, SRB2 Doom Builder will ALSO change it back to capitals if you modify the map.

say what All it is is when my character gets too high up the game stops how do I fix it?
also I use PHOTOSHOP to edit my pictures (Life box in the corner, name next to life box, pic in character select screen) (they are in JEPEG what format do I use to make them appear?

You should use Bitmap files.
Let me explain the cause of your problem.
the game stops when your character ascends too high because your last two frames are improperly labeled. See, the last two letters have to be in lowercase, otherwise the game will not realize they're the last two frames and think that you haven't put those frames in the WAD. Therefore, when your character is doing an action that requires the use of those frames (such as your FALLING ANIMATION when the character goes too high) it'll get confused and the game stops. Fix this by turning your last two frames from "A" and "B" to "a" and "b"

I tried it but it didn't work and what if they are numbers also these were not named by me and their original mod worked just fine. also I'm a noob I don't know all this complicated stuff!

Look carefully at your LAST TWO SETS of frames for the S_SKIN lump. Are they...

PLAYA1
PLAYA2A8
PLAYA3A7
PLAYA4A6
PLAYA5
PLAYB1
PLAYB2B8
PLAYB3B7
PLAYB4B6
PLAYB5

(Note: The first four letters don't have to be PLAY; it's just an example. What matters are the letters and numbers after them.)
You'll want to change it to...

PLAYa1
PLAYa2a8
PLAYa3a7
PLAYa4a6
PLAYa5
PLAYb1
PLAYb2b8
PLAYb3b7
PLAYb4b6
PLAYb5

In other words, CHANGE THE LETTERS "A" AND "B" TO LOWERCASE. That should solve your problem.

ANOTHER THING: Is it set up like this instead?

PLAYA1
PLAYA2
PLAYA3
PLAYA4
PLAYA5
PLAYA6
PLAYA7
PLAYA8
PLAYB1
PLAYB2
PLAYB3
PLAYB4
PLAYB5
PLAYB6
PLAYB7
PLAYB8

If this is the case, do the same thing; change A to a and B to b.

EDIT: Fawfulfan beat me to it. If you see SUPAA1 and such, pretend his post says SUPA instead of PLAY.

You're copying sprites out of another WAD, right? OK. When SLumpEd loaded that Super Sonic WAD, it messed up some of the sprite names, because SLumpEd is stupid like that. The falling animation sprites are SUPAA1 and so on, right? Once you paste them into your WAD, rename those sprites to SUPAa1, SUPAa2a8, and so forth. Same goes for the grabbing-on animation. SUPAb1 and so forth.

All in all, SLumpEd is a bit tricky when it deals with ANYTHING regarding Character WADs, because of its glitchiness.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
In fact, PNG is necessary for me to import any sprites with transparency.
Not quite, if you have the image converted to the srb2 palette (which can be done with Photoshop, GIMP, and pretty much anything except MS Paint). SlumpED will except index 247 as the translucency.

I say use XWE for character WADs if you can. If you are worried about crashes just follow the XWE tutorial on the SRB2wiki to see how to set it up.

I tried changing the capitals to lowercase in the S_SKIN lump but the game just stopped ad said SIGMANT VIOLATION or something like that. it always happens when my character gets too high up in Green flower zone 2 at the big spring jump. once again HOW DO I FIX IT!!!

After some recent studies I figured out what was wrong and fixed it.
FIRST WAD COMPLETE!!!
THANKS FOR HELPING ME GUYS!!!
And if you want my finished work click the link
Link Removed

Wow, using some WAD that someone already made and put white color on it. That counts as plagiarism, we do not tolerate plagiarism or recolors here.

Lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back