What are Thing Tags for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
There doesn't seem to be any way to set a tag for a Thing, and I can't find anything that talks about Thing Tags anywhere. Do Thing Tags actually serve any kind of purpose?

There are five types of tags:

- Easy (1): This thing appears on easy mode.
- Medium (2): This thing appears on medium.
- Hard (4): This thing ap… well, you can guess it.
- Deaf (8): Various effects, depending on the thing. For monitors, it makes them randomly respawn in Match mode. For pushables, this makes them non-pushable. For rings, this makes them float, giving them a more natural look. For other things, it may have other effects. Their respective wiki articles will tell of what they are.
- Multiplayer (16): It has to do with whether it appears in multiplayer, though I myself am uncertain what specific modes it pertains to.

The tags number is a sum of all the applicable tags, and may range from 0-31. For example, a monitor that appears on any difficulty and does not respawn randomly in match mode would be 7 (1+2+4). A ring that appears only on Easy and floats would be 9 (1+8).

For checkpoints, tags serve a different purpose entirely. They behave the same way no matter what the tags value is. However, the order of the checkpoints depends on their tag value. The first checkpoint in a level (or race) would be 0, the second would be 1, et cetera. Activating a checkpoint will activate all previous checkpoints (that is, checkpoints with a lower flags value than itself).

At least, this is as far as my understanding of it reaches.

Things have tags?

*looks in the DBSRB interface*

*tilts head*

Well, that’s a new one.

Maybe they’re a remnant from the transition from Doom to SRB2.

I'd imagine it's a value automatically calculated that has to do with things like the sector the item is placed in. I don't worry about when I'm making my levels, so I'd assume it's not a big deal.

ThingTag.png

No, not really.

No, seriously, check the interface in SRB2 Doom Builder. Every Thing says "Tag: 0" when you put the mouse over it.

I'm not "worrying" about it...I'm just wondering if it serves some kind of purpose. Apparently not.

It might also be that some doom-like games use thing tags and some don’t. Naturally, the DB interface would include tags to accomidate games where tags are used.

Thing Tags were used for Doom, and they are not part of SRB2. For example, teleportation would actually be done by tagging a Thing to a Teleport Linedef. Since the characters moved so slow, linedefs could be triggered simply by walking over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back