• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Silver the Hedgehog: The Level Pack (working title)

Status
Not open for further replies.

742mph

My work is never done yet
After a year of level designing, boss SOCing, and trying to get those cursed unlockables to work, I'm getting close to finishing my current project, a level pack called The Rift. However, something I failed to realize when I planned out The Rift was that its complex storyline, level transitions, and overall game structure would make it unsuitable for major changes or additions, which means that modifying level design and SOCs and bugfixing will be the only things I will be able to do to change it once it is released. When I thought of this, it became obvious that I needed to find something else to work on once The Rift was done, and this is what I came up with.
This modification, which I may or may not start seriously working on, is basically an expansion upon the playstyle of Silver the Hedgehog in Sonic '06. I believe that Silver's gameplay had a lot of potential, but it was completely wasted because of the rushed, buggy nature of the only main game he was playable in. So, as my new project, I decided to find out through reviews and playthroughs of Sonic '06 exactly what people hated about Silver and create an updated version of his gameplay that removes all of the annoying things (being forced to kill the same types of enemies over and over again in order to advance, boring hub worlds, lack of throwable object diversity) and adds new gameplay elements to the mix (enemies dropping weapons when they are killed, being able to play as Silver or Blaze in any stage, actually moving quickly) that will hopefully make it more enjoyable. Because this mod is so new, I haven't actually created any stages for it yet. However, I have done all of the SOCing for the characters, including Silver's telekinesis and all of the objects he can pick up and throw, such as crates, GFZ boss missiles, Jetty-Syn mines and bullets, and even CBFS lances. I've also modified the SRB2 enemies a bit, changing them so they are more powerful and interesting to battle, which will help make the fighting less repetitive.

srb20177.png

Silver hovering through GFZ1 with two crates and a missile in his telekinetic grasp.

srb20178.png

In order to make combatting the once-pathetic Blue Crawlas more interesting, they now fire missiles which can be picked up and shot at other enemies when the Crawlas are killed.

srb20179.png

Silver throwing a crate at an enemy. Because of the bugs with A_LobShot, objects that are lobbed instead of fired will often miss their mark.

srb20180.png

As mentioned above, Blaze can now be used for the entire game if the player desires. She is significantly faster than Silver and her routes will most likely involve more speed sections and less fighting.

srb20186.png

Blaze using her mid-air spin attack, which gives her a significant height boost and will allow her to take paths that Silver can't reach.
To my knowledge, something like this has never been attempted before in SRB2, so I really don't know what people will think of it. I'll be very interested to hear your feedback. It's okay if you tell me that there's no way anyone here will ever enjoy something like this, because I haven't spent very much time on it and am used to discontinuing barely-started projects, as are many people on the MB as far as I know. Please don't bash my work just for the sake of it or if you don't have any actual issues with it, though.

Also, here's a video of me demonstrating Silver's powers and getting screwed over constantly by A_LobShot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG4hTGxzpas

(Note: I am not the creator of Silver or Blaze's sprites and do not claim ownership of them.)

Last edited:
This seems interesting, I'd like to see a video of Silver's telekinesis in action so I can believe it. Or just a beta or something.

Amazing idea, I cannot wait to try this out! I would like to see what you'll do for the alternative paths.

Loveing it so far! But is it possible to make enemies drop... something other than a laser? Because that just makes no sense... How about like a wheel? Or a big gear would look nice.

The idea is that all enemies leave behind whatever weapon they use when they die. Robo-Hoods drop their arrows, CBFSes drop their lances, Jetty-Syn Bombers and Gunners drop their mines and bullets, etc. Crawlas, therefore, drop the GFZ missiles they shoot. I know it looks rather strange, but people might be confused as to what the weapon does if it appears completely different.

Why not changed the sprite to that of a missile in a casing? That would make sense to lay on the ground, and to fire like the red one. If you don't get what I mean, I mean like the missiles in sonic 06 that silver could catch.

I might change the sprites to look like the Sea Egg's torpedoes, but the problem with that is that the missiles would be more difficult to spot, especially in darker areas, leading to a lot of cheap hits from something you can't even see. I think the best solution is just to leave the missiles the way they are. If you're really bothered with it, though, you can imagine them as solid but glowing.

That might be interesting, although players usually move so rapidly and unpredictably that all the weapons expect for very fast-moving ones like the bullet would be worthless. In order for the system to work in Match, I'd have to SOC the items so they respawn 30 seconds after being picked up and increase the power of the projectiles, which wouldn't be that difficult to do. I'll give it a try and see if it works. Thanks for the suggestion.

If your able too figure out how, you should make silver not use his running frames, just jog ones. It wouldn't have to slow him down. Similar to how the silver wad in 1.09.4 was. The system for this in 2.0.6 is broken though. So you may have to fix that if you know how..

I was hoping he'd play much more like this instead.
He lifts badniks up too instead of JUST projectiles (they're closer to his head and above him, as well as carrying 4 at a time). He also has to stop to pick things up, balancing things a bit. Throwing the enemies at nothing makes them simply land on the ground again. Lastly, he can't jump on enemies.

If you did this you wouldn't have to have the wrong enemies shooting projectiles to make the feature useful, you wouldn't have to add those odd 2D crates. and he'd be compatible with any level.

He lifts badniks up too instead of JUST projectiles.
It takes over 50 objects and nearly 250 states to get Silver to properly use the nine objects that he can currently pick up and throw. Adding telekinesis-able objects that look like enemies' bodies would be impossible, as it would exceed both the object and state limits.

(they're closer to his head and above him, as well as carrying 4 at a time).
This is also impossible, as A_RotateSpikeBall has no Z-offset feature, using A_CapeChase instead would make the objects float in the exact same spot, making it difficult to tell exactly what Silver is holding, and I cannot think of any way to limit the number of objects that can be held. If there is a way to do that, though, it would probably take up almost all of the object and state slots, and I can't afford to do that since I'm planning to include custom enemies and bosses. Besides, Silver will probably never be holding more than five or so objects at a time, since he'll be constantly hurling them at targets as well as picking them up.

He also has to stop to pick things up, balancing things a bit.
How does that help with balancing? Besides, I'd say Silver has more than enough restrictions as it is. Since he picks things up with his spinitem, he can only do it on the ground, and he stops dead when he picks something up while moving. He can also only throw objects in mid-air with his thokitem, which also takes away his horizontal momentum. Removing the ability to grab things while moving would make using Silver a complete pain, which would mean that I failed in my mission to actually make playing as him fun.

Throwing the enemies at nothing makes them simply land on the ground again.
This would happen automatically if A_FireShot and A_LobShot defaulted to shooting straight ahead if there is no target, which they should, but they don't, and trying to implement a workaround for it would be a waste of state slots. Plus, the levels in the mod will always have a miniboss at the end which automatically ends the level upon death, and Silver's telekinesis has no range limit, meaning that he can never be in a situation where he has nothing to fire at.

Lastly, he can't jump on enemies.
I'm not sure how well others would react to this. The over-reliance on Silver's powers and lack of traditional Sonic gameplay elements was one thing that a lot of people seemed to dislike about Silver in '06.

If you did this you wouldn't have to have the wrong enemies shooting projectiles to make the feature useful, you wouldn't have to add those odd 2D crates. and he'd be compatible with any level.
The Crawlas' new abilities are not "wrong" or existing only to "make the feature useful". They are there to make the Crawlas more interesting and powerful opponents. Silver's telekinesis makes him quite a bit more powerful than the other characters in terms of combat, so the enemies have to be similarly ramped up in power. As for the crates, I don't see anything wrong with their appearance, and they're there to give Silver something to use as a ranged weapon if the projectiles he was carrying with him were not enough to kill all of the enemies in the area. Also, Silver will be technically compatible with every level once he's finished, although he will have to kill an enemy first in order to get something to throw if crates or other pre-existing objects are not placed. Please, don't give suggestions like these unless you know enough about SOCing to determine whether they are actually feasible.

All of the required enemies have been upgraded (and some new ones have been created), and I've done all of the SOCing for Silver's telekinesis, but I haven't finished any of the levels or bosses yet. The whole project will probably be completed in a year or so. I know that's a lot of waiting, but these things take time.

If you read the previous posts in the thread, you'd know he's not done yet, and that's why there isn't a download.

Just another thought, but what if you somehow made silver only give damage when coming down from his jump? This way, he couldn't use his head to smash enemies, but rather fall onto them hitting them with his feet. Like Mario.

The sprites look really, really plain. They're not bad, just overly simple. It sort of clashes with the style of the other elements in the game. It would be good to at least touch up the shading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back