Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "Buoyancy" Shield

• "Spike" Shield

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened? And if it's not in SRB2, why is the green shield still in the manual? I remember playing SRB2 with it but don't remember what it did >_<. (There is a suggestion for 1.1). Thats all.

EDIT 2:Poll added... A day ago :P

The green barrier was the liquid barrier, and the blue barrier was the plain barrier. The colors got swapped, and the green barrier was dumped for the white barrier.

Well that kinda sucks...
XD
Anyway thanks. <_< >_>*Goes to recreate*

EDIT: Anyone remember the SRB2 demo number so I can google it? I want to recreate it... NOWZIZ!

EDIT2: Never mind, found it >_>.

...Recreate it? It already exists as the Blue barrier. We just changed the colors around and replaced the Basic Shield with the Whirlwind Shield.

Actually, it's a LOT more complicated than that, so lemme explain.

Originally, SRB2 had four shields: Basic (blue), Elemental (green), Attraction (yellow), and Armageddon (black). The Elemental Shield was supposed to protect you from elemental damage and from drowning, so it would protect you from ALL types of damage. You'd jump into the lava and you'd be immune. The green was supposed to signify nature, if I recall.

Now, personally, I was never a huge fan of the elemental shield originally (I've since warmed up to the idea, but it's too damn late now). I preferred a more Sonic 3-style system where there is elemental damage that you could be protected against by the elemental shield. Also, having a green shield protect you from fire looked kinda weird.

Hence, the Inferno Shield (red) was added at my request. Later on, someone added electrical damage that could be avoided with the Attraction Shield, making the three main shields in the game act like Sonic 3.

However, that left us with a strange situation. The "water shield" was still green. Blue was still taken by the Basic Shield. To fix this, I coerced AJ into making the Whirlwind Shield (white), replacing the Basic Shield, and moving the renamed "Liquid Shield" to blue. I still consider finally getting AJ to make me a double jump shield to be one of my favorite things I've done in the game. I only harassed him to do it for like, 2 years =P

So, that's where the Elemental Shield went. I killed it. Honestly, looking back I'm not so sure it was a good idea, but we got the Whirlwind Shield out of it, so it can't have been all bad.

I dunno, sometimes I wish I could place a shield - a plain, generic shield - into a stage, without it having any kinds of elemental or movement/attack benefits involved; just an extra hit, no more, no less. If the stage has very little water, the blue shield works well, but otherwise... There, the green shield could fit the bill quite nicely.

That and green's my favorite color, so I kinda wanna see it back in. >_>

Honestly, I completely don't miss the Basic Shield. While yes, occasionally that situation can happen, under most every circumstance one of the shield's special effects won't be relevant. The Inferno Shield can also often be a "basic" shield when there aren't any ground enemies.

Which, when you consider that the Crawla is the staple enemy of the series, is a very rare occurance. :P

Not that I ever found the fire trails helpful in killing Crawlas. Like, ever.

Yeah, the fire shield is really rather useless in a level without lava. At least, for single player levels. Now, in match, I find it more useful than any of the others. =P

Crawla Commander dies to the Inferno Shield pretty well, actually.

Otherwise, it's rather useless in 1 player.

Mystic said:
Insert big long post here.

Ah ha! Mystic killed it!

Shadow Hog said:
I dunno, sometimes I wish I could place a shield - a plain, generic shield - into a stage, without it having any kinds of elemental or movement/attack benefits involved; just an extra hit, no more, no less. If the stage has very little water, the blue shield works well, but otherwise... There, the green shield could fit the bill quite nicely.

That and green's my favorite color, so I kinda wanna see it back in. >_>

Yeah, same here. And, it would be nice if it was just added along with the other shields. That way we could all have out basic shield back.

Also FF, what I meant was replace some sprites, not actually "recreate" it. Sorry I left that part out >_<.

I'm all for switching the elemental shield back to green, removing the fire shield, and giving the elemental shield the ability to repel lava.

Then people will stop bugging me about making the flame trails have perfect physics.

SSNTails said:
I'm all for switching the elemental shield back to green, removing the fire shield, and giving the elemental shield the ability to repel lava.

Then people will stop bugging me about making the flame trails have perfect physics.

Thats not exactly what I was trying to say, but do what you want.
I meant add another green shield, not remove any, unless of course it's not possible for some reason.

Green Sheilds protect you from the Irish KTHXBYE.

Personally, I'm happy with the sheilds ingame already. We don't really need anymore. We already have more than any other sonic game.

I don't even think we need a basic shield, the whirlwind shield isn't ACUALLY a normal shield, but unless you'r doing a spindash in midair for another reason, it prettymuch is basic

NUUUUUU!
>_>. I like it just because it doesn't have special features to it. The blue shield, lets you breathe under water, wind(Whirlwind wind, same thing.) shield makes you fly upwards, ect. Get my point? Just normal, no effects.

So, stemming from a lengthy chat session, it's been considered that we should ditch the Inferno Shield (moving its fire abilities to a generic "Elemental Shield"), and replace it with another one, because, while it's good for Match, it sucks horribly for Single Player. This begs the question, what kind of shield should replace it? It needs to be unique, yet good for Single Player. The ideas I can remember fairly well are:
  • Ice shield. This would freeze enemies that touch it. Useful for enemies that take up more than one hit. I think some people were tossing around things like low friction, too, but that's a hindrance more than an aid.
  • Spike Shield. No, it doesn't protect you from spikes (although I wouldn't mind seeing that anyway), but rather it gives you the circle of spikeballs Eggman has in CEZ3. This protects you from SOME badniks and attacks, depending on where you get hit.
  • Buoyancy Shield (aka "Jesus Shield"). Allows one to walk and stand on top of water as if it was a normal surface. Presumably you can sink if you will it.
Anyone got any better ones? Remember, good for single-player, NOT like the Whirlwind shield (jump higher), the Elemental shield (breathe forever, protection from slime, lava and electricity), the Attraction shield (attracts rings) and the Armageddon shield (kills everything, more or less), and please, no joke ideas (we don't need to hear about the SIGSEGV shield, kthxbye).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back