Pipe Towers/Mario mode criticism thread

cookiefonster

Wiki Admin
Yep, another one of these zone criticism threads. I figured, why not?

Ever since Demo 4 all the way back in 2001, SRB2 has had Mario-themed bonus content—first Mario Goomba Blast, then Mario Koopa Blast, and now Pipe Towers Zone. Most people seem to agree that Pipe Towers Zone isn't up to snuff with the game's standards anymore; it's rather bland and really serves to showcase why Mario level design simply doesn't work with Sonic, especially not in 3D. The exclamation mark boxes are pace breaking, the fire flower is entirely superfluous, bouncy mushrooms are weird and not that fun to use, goombas are just reskins of the most basic enemy (crawlas), and thwomps (the only other main hazard) feel very cheap and punishing compared to enemies in classic Sonic.

Regarding the fire flower and thwomps, I'd especially like to discuss the considerable difference between classic Mario enemies and classic Sonic enemies. Getting hit by an enemy is extremely punishing in classic Mario: you either lose your cool powerup, shrink down a size, or if you're at small size, you're insta-killed. In classic Sonic, on the other hand, getting hit by an enemy simply makes you lose all your rings (or shield if you're wearing one), unless you have no rings, in which case you're killed. This means that if you're hit by an enemy in classic Sonic, it's not a huge deterrence because you can pick up your rings if needed, and then keep going through the level. This means two important things: (1) dealing with enemies really isn't a big priority in classic Sonic, especially not SRB2, and (2) you need to be careful with hazards that can instantly kill the player if you don't want them to just feel cheap. This is why it's somewhat puzzling to me that three of the SRB2 shields' active abilities (attraction, elemental, armageddon) are focused on dealing with enemies, but that's a matter of discussion for another thread.

I'd like to ask a question that was discussed some on the SRB2 Discord today: do you still think Mario-themed content still warrants being in SRB2? I think it doesn't really, especially because since 2.2 was released the game has become considerably more professional and polished, but I'm not sure I want the great remixes of Mario music (especially the incredibly groovy remix of the underground theme) to go to waste. I am aware of Dave Lite's Pipe Towers revamp, which is an enormous upgrade to the original Pipe Towers both in visual design and gameplay, but would still be weird to have in SRB2 due to all the reasons I had already said.

What is this? Fifth time? LOL

Anyhow I've always viewed Mario mode as actually pointless so removing it from the game won't bother me in the slightest, though a Mario-themed level is still always cool and good and welcome!

As far as wishes go I'd be down for a Crash mode if it means we'd get a CBW remix of N-Sanity Island

Anyhow I've always viewed Mario mode as actually pointless so removing it from the game won't bother me in the slightest, though a Mario-themed level is still always cool and good and welcome!

As far as wishes go I'd be down for a Crash mode if it means we'd get a CBW remix of N-Sanity Island

id totally be down for that

I've actually don't got much of an issue with Pipe Towers, it's a fun level to go through with Amy and Fang as their vertical movement and weapons fit the level a lot more. I feel it's in definite need of an upgrade from it's current form, however. While I love the style of NES Mario over the more modern titles, I feel that more Mario 64 or SMW-esque level design could benefit here, as both take advantage of something Sonic benefits from himself- slopes and extra environmental hazards. And on the power-up note, I feel a rather coincidental use of growth power-ups from Chaotix would fit well in Mario Mode, considering how similar it is to the Mega Mushroom.

Enemies I'm totally fine with, too. It is just a fun little bonus stage after all, the enemies don't need to be ERZ tier tough or anything. Thwomp placement can be better, and can take notes from DSZ's crushers, which feel great to navigate past at top speed. I feel it could benefit from *just* one more enemy, being flying Winged Koopas. Having an enemy to bounce off of in mid-air to extend your jump is a nice thing, and not much effort has to be taken in making them work.

My childhood self would squeal with glee if I heard or seen anything Crash Bandicoot 2 style... and with the graphics of SRB2? A Crash level would fit right at home.

I'm not cool with removing the Mario content. The few times when I've seen new players stream SRB2 long enough to unlock PTZ, I always see surprise and delight when they reach the level for the first time. That alone is a great reason not to remove it.

Given that Dave Lite already made a much improved version of the map, very little additional develop time is needed to continue supporting it.

id totally be down for that
I wouldn't, I could never get into Crash. And if they shoehorn something like Crash into SRB2, people will be asking for all kinds of random series completely irrelevant to Sonic to be added next.

Last edited:
Please don't remove it. I like Mario mode. Didn't somebody make an updated version of the level as an add-on? Why not use it, or do something like it? Then we can keep the old level in the form of a legacy add-on.

I wouldn't, I could never get into Crash. And if they shoehorn something like Crash into SRB2, people will be asking for all kinds of random series completely irrelevant to Sonic to be added next.

Spyro for SRB2 when?

I think what matters most with the Mario content is whether the dev team is comfortable with the intrinsic risk of having it in the game. It hasn't caused any legal problems so far, but Nintendo has become rather notorious with their DMCA takedowns lately.

I think what matters most with the Mario content is whether the dev team is comfortable with the intrinsic risk of having it in the game. It hasn't caused any legal problems so far, but Nintendo has become rather notorious with their DMCA takedowns lately.

With this in mind. I dont want to risk srb2 livelihood in the future so i would like to see it gone. Preferably as a standalone addon for those who seek to port it.

The actually level is okay but pales in comparison to Daves version interms of layout and visual flair.

I have heard from somewhere that Nintendo can't take down SRB2 without claiming Sonic in the process, which they can't do. However, I am no legal expert so I don't know how true that is and probably wouldn't rely on that logic to make any big decisions moving forward.

With that in mind, I think what I would like to see is for the level (and the improved version) to exist as legacy addons moving into the future, and also for a more fully fleshed out "Mario Mode" to be implemented strictly for modding support as a level type. If it absolutely must be in the game proper to justify the mode existing, then perhaps replace the Mario themed aesthetic and music with something more original. This way, Nintendo shouldn't be able to do anything to SRB2 regarding copyright.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back