Features from modern games that you would feel welcome in SRB2

The classic games were innovative, controlled well, had huge, intricately layered levels with plenty of alternate pathways and secrets, as well as plenty of depth to its otherwise simple gameplay.

The 3D Sonic games never really came close to replicating this style of gameplay in 3D and only departed further and further from this gameplay style as the series continued.

I think that the modern games and the classic games are equally good, just for entirely different reasons. They initially tried to stick to the classic formula with the Adventure series, trying to translate it into 3D, however they eventually decided to stop trying to do the same thing over and over and wanted to make the games more unique, unbound by what had come before. This I think is the primary reason why the series has departed so much from the Genesis/Mega Drive era. They never really abandoned that style, they've always returned to it from time to time. The Advance series, Rush, Generations, etc. They just don't want the series to all be the same, or at least they didn't. Ever since 06 they've been increasingly afraid to go against the fans, trying to play it safe as much as possible. Unleashed was fairly successful, which is why they've gone back to that formula so much.

The classic series excelled at momentum based gameplay in which speed was earned, and if you knew what you were doing you could keep it up. The generally downhill level design mentality allowed for this if you stuck to the right paths, you could keep your speed going without having to fight back against the level design most of the time.

The modern games have generally tried to make other gameplay mechanics more central, with speed either being handed out like candy or focused less on in general. Heroes was all about the team mechanic, Shadow focused on mission objectives, etc. They acknowledge that Sonic is fast, but are trying to be more than just speed based games. Even the boost games which hand out speed like candy are trying to do something entirely different from the old games.

This is generally where the big rift in the fanbase comes from. People argue about which is better when they should really be appreciating both halves of Sonic for what they are. The classic fans want the modern games to be more like the old games from back in the day, while the modern fans appreciate the gimmicks brought forth by each of the newer games and wonder how the classic fans could be so stuck in the past. This is largely a result of people growing up in different decades. Not enough people realize that there's value to both the modern and classic Sonic games, and that a game that incorporates elements of both can work if handled correctly.

A lot of the fear, I think, comes from SEGA's recent attempts at merging the two together. While Generations is generally seen favorably, even that game has it's issues, shortcomings, and missed opportunities. The less imaginative among us have a hard time imagining how anyone could do a better job. They see classic and modern as being unable to mix together, they see games in general that try as being worse off for it. They demand that games embrace either classic or modern entirely, without veering too close to the other. It's such a limiting mindset.

I think that the homing attack coulkd be in all the characters by default in midair spin, because all the characters can jump in enemies in classic games, but in 3D is very dificult to do that, and they create the homing attack, so, i think all characters, can do the homing attack, in the spin buttom, and you have to press jump+spin to use shields, i think it will be a very good add, and, for example fang and amy can't go to the enemies, amy will go to the enemy and use her hammer to defeat the enemy, and fang will jump to the enemy and when the enemy is behind him, he will shoot the enemy and bounce off

I think that the homing attack coulkd be in all the characters by default in midair spin, because all the characters can jump in enemies in classic games, but in 3D is very dificult to do that, and they create the homing attack, so, i think all characters, can do the homing attack, in the spin buttom, and you have to press jump+spin to use shields, i think it will be a very good add, and, for example fang and amy can't go to the enemies, amy will go to the enemy and use her hammer to defeat the enemy, and fang will jump to the enemy and when the enemy is behind him, he will shoot the enemy and bounce off

we already have the magnet shield, and it serves that purpose very well.

anyway, i don't think it's even any trouble hitting enemies in srb2, unless you want to do a super crazy crawla bounce or something.

Most enemies really aren't that difficult to kill in SRB2, because most of them don't just float in an area that requires precision to reach like in modern Sonic games, but rather interact with the player, each in unique ways. A proper homing attack would trivialize enemy combat and make most enemies functionally identical, unless they have phases in which they simply cannot be hurt.

Two words, Chao Gardens. Period. Like I know this is classic sonic we are talking about here, but how can you not adore those cute puffy little babies of love and happiness? (Except the knuckles one, that one... could stay away from this game) Obviously they’d be a lot of work and considering there’s much more important things to be worked on, I’d doubt the team would consider it.

(EDIT: I just realized I wasn’t the only one who said this in this thread, welp, at least we can agree on something lol)

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back