• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Amazing Texture Spriting Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEV3

There and back again~
Well, I went on SAGE and a workshop caught my attention about making custom textures. Not bothering to figure out IRC, I just waited for the logs. Upon seeing these logs I am blown away almost as much as by 'Tikal & Chaos', the game by the same author. I've also been a fan of the themes in Sonic CD since I got the game. (three... months... ago...)

Anyways I wanted to share the log with everybody here that might be too lazy to look for it themselves or for some reason don't know about SAGE and therefore don't know it exists.

http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/sage06/logs/Sky_WS1.html
Day 1: Genesis palette, templates, basic textures, shading, objects, backgrounds, and dithering. (wound longer than the author expected apparently)

http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/sage06/logs/Sky_WS2.html
Day 2: Easy recoloring, detailed backgrounds (with Tiara Cascade as example)

Enjoy, and I believe a forecast of a flash flood of custom textures might be predictable!

EDIT: Added a better description to Day 2. This seems to cover alot of things if you can take the techniques (anti-aliasing and notch/random dithering) and apply them to textures to get Sonic 3 style textures.

Erm, yeah. Those tutorials are geared towards 2D Sonic CD style backrounds, not textures like are found in SRB2.

I should know, I was there. :3

The only irrelevant part would be the 'top' part which doesn't work in 3d games (eg. GHZ textures).

The second tutorial is less Sonic CD than the others, and I personally think that it is a good tutorial on textures period.

Besides, I would love to see a sky with that kind of quality in a SRB2 mod. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back