Suggestions

I didn't mean that the classic sprites themselves change. I meant you unlock the modern sprites for getting a specific amount of emblems. It's like this: When you get the emblems, their modern forms are available on the main character select menu, along with the classic forms.You can choose between any of them. And they do the exact same attacks and actions as their classic counterparts.
They could be blocked if you don't have enough. Were you talking about remaking the menu?

Or were you talking about making new sprites in general?

How about this? If COUNTDOWN is listed in any part of the level header, the timer goes down, or something pops up to tell you how much time you have to complete the act.

I didn't mean that the classic sprites themselves change. I meant you unlock the modern sprites for getting a specific amount of emblems. It's like this: When you get the emblems, their modern forms are available on the main character select menu, along with the classic forms.You can choose between any of them. And they do the exact same attacks and actions as their classic counterparts.
They could be blocked if you don't have enough. Were you talking about remaking the menu?

Or were you talking about making new sprites in general?
There are a variety of reasons why your idea is not remotely ever going to happen, bit there is one completely damning problem with your suggestion: SRB2 is based on the classic Sonic games! SRB2 tries to look and act like something that you wouldn't have been surprised to see in the mid 90s as a retail game. Nothing in SRB2 (except emblems, which happen to be a quirk of convenience) comes from Sonic Adventure or later. Putting Modern Sonic into the game would be completely defeating the point.

Every time there is a new Sonic game, there are hordes of people that demand we add some feature from the new game or make some awful mod themselves that does it despite the fact that it completely does not fit. You are posting essentially the same thing for Generations.

How about this? If COUNTDOWN is listed in any part of the level header, the timer goes down, or something pops up to tell you how much time you have to complete the act.
Despite this feature being badly named, this is another perfect example. This feature isn't intended to be used to make a time limit on a stage like modern Sonic occasionally does. This feature is intended to allow modders to reactivate the classic Sonic Time Over system, where you die if you're in the stage for 10 minutes. Honestly this should never really be used, but it exists in the game as a compromise to a441 from many, many years ago.

Despite this feature being badly named, this is another perfect example. This feature isn't intended to be used to make a time limit on a stage like modern Sonic occasionally does. This feature is intended to allow modders to reactivate the classic Sonic Time Over system, where you die if you're in the stage for 10 minutes. Honestly this should never really be used, but it exists in the game as a compromise to a441 from many, many years ago.

So because the Classic levels had this mechanic in every level with no warning and (I think) told you in the instruction panel, means there should be no warning in SRB2 even when there's no way for the player to know other than with a subtitle.
Reasoning at its max right there.
Would it be so hard to have the timer flash red with one minute left, just in case you forget when the timer goes off?

Honestly, I think the thok ends up playing infinitely differently from the SA double jump with nothing to home into. You use it for dramatically different things and I often forget that you even CAN do that in SA (often to be suddenly reminded at the worst possible time when I think I'm in range to homing attack something and aren't).

Would it be so hard to have the timer flash red with one minute left, just in case you forget when the timer goes off?
Actually, IIRC it does this, but again, it's a bad feature that you shouldn't use, so I doubt the code has been looked at in years. Honestly we should remove it, but we all know the reaction when I suggest that we should delete something bad around here =P

Note how Mystic said "this should never really be used".
How is this even close to sensible reasoning? If you don't want anybody to use it, then just remove it. Leaving a broken, incomplete mechanic in the game just makes the thing as a whole seem unpolished. Like Tag mode.

How is this even close to sensible reasoning?
It isn't and it wasn't supposed to be understood by anybody as reasoning. I was merely pointing out that unlike what Violo thought, Mystic is aware of the flaw and isn't trying to excuse it with "the classics did it".

Does anyone think that a Dial up thing could be made for SRB2 player's like myself?
(Sorry if this has been posted before but I didn't see anything, so I think it's ok?)

The big thing though, for me at least, is that it restricts exploration. I hated the time over in Sonic CD because of this. I want to explore the entire level but the time over rudely cuts you off. The same thing is very likely to happen in an SRB2 map with a countdown.
This is the main reason I really hate it. It kills you for liking to explore levels, or even worse, because you're lost. The last thing you want when a player gets stuck and confused is to kill them off unfairly. That'll just make them even MORE frustrated.

How is this even close to sensible reasoning? If you don't want anybody to use it, then just remove it. Leaving a broken, incomplete mechanic in the game just makes the thing as a whole seem unpolished. Like Tag mode.
It's not intended to be reasoning, but there is a reason I don't tend to take a stand and remove things that suck: People around here bitch WAY too much when I do so. It's okay to add features into the game, but the instant you dare to suggest that someone's pet feature is bad and should be removed, everyone gets up in arms, even if they don't like the feature. Because of this I tend to pick and choose my battles very specifically to only the ones that I REALLY care get axed, and countdown simply isn't one of those things that matters that much.

For a perfect example of this, just look at all the hell I caught for daring to remove circuit just from the OLDC. I assure you that if I could, there would be a lot more deletion from the game to deal with feature bloat and bad ideas from the past.

This is the main reason I really hate it. It kills you for liking to explore levels(...)
Then I conclude from this that using COUNTDOWN in a level that is meant for exploration is bad. Agreed.

My point is, we can't think of anything good for a feature we consider bad if we have only one standard of design.

You can justify absolutely ANYTHING with that train of thought. HMS123311 is perfectly viable and can be used for all sorts of brilliant things, but because of our standards of design we can't think of any ^_~

The difference, though, is that HMS is a joke character WAD, while COUNTDOWN is a mapping feature that could have legitimate applications. (Personally, I'd like a level that used some form of time limit.) You're comparing apples and oranges, really.

And as far as the design direction stance goes; while I do realize - and appreciate - that SRB2 is designed with the classics in mind, it seems odd to denounce the idea of, say, a countdown as "not working with the design" when certain modes of the game center around throwing weapons at others (which doesn't sound like something I was doing in my Sonic 2 playthroughs!)

My point is, we can't think of anything good for a feature we consider bad if we have only one standard of design.
What kind of design standard would discourage exploration? Doesn't sound like a good standard to me.

The difference, though, is that HMS is a joke character WAD, while COUNTDOWN is a mapping feature that could have legitimate applications.
Who said a joke character WAD can't have legitimate applications? And, more importantly, what legitimate would a countdown have? Nobody has yet mentioned anything.

And as far as the design direction stance goes; while I do realize - and appreciate - that SRB2 is designed with the classics in mind, it seems odd to denounce the idea of, say, a countdown as "not working with the design" when certain modes of the game center around throwing weapons at others (which doesn't sound like something I was doing in my Sonic 2 playthroughs!)
You got your logic mixed up. Throwing weapons at each other wasn't in the classics, but it was added to SRB2 because it works so well. The time countdown was in the classics and it wasn't added to SRB2 precisely because it was a bad idea even in the classics. You can't the argument of "we're emulating the classics" to shoot down a feature that was in the classics, and nobody's doing that. The actual argument is "it discourages exploration and unfairly kills off players that are lost".

Oh, and by the way: You can still make a time limit without the COUNTDOWN parameter. Make an Instant Kill FOF tagged with -1 (all sectors) and bury it in the ground. Then make a timed linedef executor with a Level Load trigger that raises up the ceiling after whatever time you want.

It's not intended to be reasoning, but there is a reason I don't tend to take a stand and remove things that suck: People around here bitch WAY too much when I do so.
People don't bitch when you remove things that suck. People bitch when you remove things YOU consider to suck, while THEY don't. See: Circuit mode. I don't recall any sort of controversy after the removal of Sonic Adventure mode, the old Castle Eggman with all the buttons, or the Homing ring.

Oh, and by the way: You can still make a time limit without the COUNTDOWN parameter.
This right here. You can make all sorts of broken and unintuitive things via linedef executors. The point of having an explicit feature to activate a specific, standard behaviour in the game is that it's properly presented to the player and works as it should.

In a sense, you shouldn't be able to "go wrong" with the default options provided by the game. If you want to risk it and make stuff from scratch via linedef executors, then that's your risk and you can't blame the game if your gimmick ends up confusing people and pissing them off. But if you use a feature that has been explicitely and intentionally added to the game's default set of options, then the game should make obvious what the hell is going on before randomly killing the player after a set time.

So again, either bother to fix it, or remove it. And Tag mode, too.

People don't bitch when you remove things that suck. People bitch when you remove things YOU consider to suck, while THEY don't. See: Circuit mode. I don't recall any sort of controversy after the removal of Sonic Adventure mode, the old Castle Eggman with all the buttons, or the Homing ring.
Yes, but this topic is proof that people do bitch at the prospect of COUNTDOWN being removed.

So again, either bother to fix it, or remove it.
I'm all for that (specifically for removing it), but...

And Tag mode, too.
Can you imagine the shitstorm that would result when Mystic removes a gametype that is played like crazy on the Master Server?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back