SF94-(insert wad name). Yay or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spongecar

WishI had a better internet
For a while now I've been seeing a lot of servers with SF94 wad's added. What are these wads & do you people like or dislike them? Just curious.

By a strange coincidence, it was only yesterday that curiosity got the better of me and I downloaded them and tried them out. And you know what? I actually didn't hate them. In principle, hangout WADs will be forever inferior to honest-to-goodness levels and level packs, but there's still some inventive and novel ways to have fun with SF94. I thought some of the "missions" and the NPC scripting and soccing were quite clever at times.

Yes, I do kind of resent the fact that SF94 has the Master Server in a veritable stranglehold, but it's not that difficult to see why. Roleplayers have for a long time comprised a sizeable segment of the SRB2 population, and when it comes to RPing and hangouts things don't get much better than SF94.

At the very least, I think we can all agree that SF94 is substantially better than Hyper House and Tyrcity. If SF94 replaces those as a hot hangout, that's perfectly fine with me.

Well, hrm, I'm going to say this: SF94 is, well, a pretty awesome rp map to(o?) me. Its good for calm hanging out with random people/friends. But now, for RPs, I can see this being good, and not good, depending on the mood. I think This and Hyper House TOGETHER = pretty cool, but tyrcity has its on own charm. All 'n' all, I think its one of the best for rping. In the top three atleast.......(laughs at his joke)......

Last edited:
Yes, I do kind of resent the fact that SF94 has the Master Server in a veritable stranglehold

I personally find it somewhat surprising, to be honest. Can't say I disagree with this either though. It's nice to see people use my mod and all, but sheesh...

Either way, I thought I'd point out that SF94-Serv is more oriented towards hangout than roleplaying, even though it's inevitable that it's used for both.

And when you guys refer to my mod as just "SF94", it's just awkward for me =V

In principle, hangout WADs will be forever inferior to honest-to-goodness levels and level packs

Can't say that I believe this to be the case, though. What exactly makes them "forever inferior"?

Because designing an enjoyable and proper stage takes considerably more know-how than shitting out maps made for dicking around.
Than shitting out maps made for dicking around? I'm not interested in hangout either, and I agree that "proper" stages are more enjoyable, there's more to designing hangout levels than shitting out maps made for dicking around.

Than shitting out maps made for dicking around? I'm not interested in hangout either, and I agree that "proper" stages are more enjoyable, there's more to designing hangout levels than shitting out maps made for dicking around.

Oh, I'm sorry. Let me rephrase that:

Waste a whole bunch of time implementing inane concepts into shitted-out maps that encourage dicking around.

Happy?

Oh, I'm sorry. Let me rephrase that:

Waste a whole bunch of time implementing inane concepts into shitted-out maps that encourage dicking around.

Happy?
I honestly think you're oversimplifying matters. Have you actually tried the SF94 maps? They're hardly masterpieces, but they incorporate all kinds of cute gimmicks and scripting. They have a kind of charm that can't be attained in standard maps. They are about as close as you can get to a sandbox adventure in SRB2.

@Corneliab: Have you ever tried them out? I just did a little bit... Oh man they are INSANE! I personally am not a role player either, always seemed kind of silly to me, but I still enjoyed this.

I started off in the lobby of course, and I was like O_O Ooh cool music! Then I wandered into the... Place. Yes, THE place. And was promptly dismembered. THEN I went to SF94 City. You know, I wasn't expecting much, maybe just a little lame adventure map. The moment I got the cutout view going down the elevator, I knew my expectations were too low. So much cool stuff in this map, what with the train station, the houses, the talking NPC's, the missions, and the other 2 cities. Ahaha I cracked up when I fell in the toilet in Green City! And having it change your color to lavender was a nice touch. I always thought lavender was a nice color before... I'll never think of it the same. Then I went to Neon City or whatever it's called and fell in the sewers. I couldn't find my way out. :( I'm gonna have to look at this more tomorrow!

Oh, and Sonicfreak94: Where'd the music in here come from?
And what's with that weird Anime Girl in random places?

Oh, and Sonicfreak94: Where'd the music in here come from?
And what's with that weird Anime Girl in random places?

The music in the lobby is from Phantasy Star Online. The lobby is also based heavily off of PSO, so the music seemed only right. The rest of the music comes from various Sonic games, such as Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Adventure, Sonic 06, Sonic 3, and Sonic CD.

As for the second question, that one's a bit hard to explain... ^_^'
I'll tell you this much though: She's from the anime "Code Geass," and her name is C.C. ("C 2").

To think SA City was banned for all eternity due to SRB2´s restricted laws, and now people make hangout wads every week... JTE was the only hangout wad I ever enjoyed.

Corneliab, regardless of what you think of Hangout maps, if you had actually looked over this wad you'd probably see that considerably more effort has gone into it than the majority of maps. It's far more complex than any old match map I've seen, really. Okay the scenery isn't perfect (EDIT: though saying that, it's not that bad looking...), it's not the prettiest map in the world but doing good scenery with SRB2 is a fine art anyway. I have to say though, from a technical standpoint for mapping, he's done a considerable amount of work here.

I'd actually love to see more maps that put this much thought into things, maybe not so much hangout/RP maps, but maps where you sort of have a whole world put into one map, using teleports for each of the 'zones'. Okay it's limited by SRB2's engine in terms of what you can do, you're not going to see a little race course with working timer any time soon (well... maybe? I don't know the extensibility of mapping really) but you could certainly do a lot with this, and I applaud SF94 for his efforts.

New Challenge: Make a wad that incorporates multiple 'zones' and has goals that don't necessarily finish the level but give the world enough substance to not be called a 'hangout' map. I'd love to see someone try this.

And this is why we have the casual room, so that this stuff can still appear.

EDIT: Having now looked over it some more, it is actually kind enough to stick everything in a separate folder for you, something I rather appreciate. The auto-updater is a nice touch too, and holy shit the SOC file is rather... big.

I will note, he has actually gone as far as to include actual citizens that wander through the city, and when you talk to someone, your camera will actually flick to speak to them, which is a very nice touch. I am incredibly impressed by this wad, there's no denying it, there is a lot going on in the background here.

Overall, I must say, I've very impressed, it's a shame some of the humour in the city is a bit childish and overuses some bad YTP memes (weegee), but the mechanics behind the level, and the concept itself, are incredibly well done. It's undeniable that a lot of work has been put into this wad, and the execution is actually very good. He's overcome a lot of the engine issues such as how to actually work the train system considering we have no Software Polyobjects very well, and the use of actual citizens throughout the city is a very neat idea, as is the amount of environment interaction you can do such as the talking NPCs (complete with camera changes, which are very well done) and things such as filling pools, changing weather, etc. I wholeheartedly encourage SF94 to keep up the good work, because this is really something to marvel at, regardless of the fact that it's an 'RP/Hangout' map. I would also like to take this moment to say that I would encourage others to develop such indepth, complex maps that may not have any sort of endpoint, if there were a lot of things to do it could work quite well.

Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the opinion or policy of his employer or Sonic Team Junior, the management of this board, the master server and the SRB2.org website are in no way associated with this post other than the fact that it is posted by a member of the above group of people.

Last edited:
Hey, SF94, I watched a video about some secret area. I followed all the instructions and nothing happens! Can you help me in this?

Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the opinion or policy of his employer or Sonic Team Junior, the management of this board, the master server and the SRB2.org website are in no way associated with this post other than the fact that it is posted by a member of the above group of people.
You need to put that in your signature or something ;)

Anyway, I'm intrigued. I think I'm gonna try this out.

I'm not much of an RPer but the sf94 maps are pretty good. I can't see why some people complain about Sf94-Serv being all over the MS. It was made for the causal room and I believe that SF94-Serv will be here for a long time.

EDIT: Having now looked over it some more, it is actually kind enough to stick everything in a separate folder for you, something I rather appreciate. The auto-updater is a nice touch too, and holy shit the SOC file is rather... big.

On that note, I went ahead and organized a bit. As for the updater, we have MainMemory from Sonic Retro to thank for the .NET version. Also, the SOC needs some optimizing, to be honest. I'll try to do that before I release it again.

Anyway though, thank you Cue, I appreciate your... "feedback." You made my day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back