Official Level Design Contest Voting: May-June 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jazz said:
Medivo by Glaber: 4/10

A functional map, but looks absolutely nothing like the real Medivo...
Well I had Medivo textures, I just couldn't use them for the entry. Expect the rerelease to have the WoP locked out.

Vash said:
It's not my fault hardly anyone joins my servers. Ports are set to 5029(Even the other port.. although I forgot which one that was.), and I have connection, and I'm not banned from the MS server, either.

Blue Warrior said:
Explain what you mean about the last part of the paragraph. All characters can get to the flag both from the top and the bottom, so there's no limitations for any character.
Wait... there were two routes to the flag? I didn't see the underwater one.

Fall underwater. There are two underwater hallways that lead right under the base.

...It's at the sides of the pool. You should even see a hole leading to it when you're in the base.

My Voting

Match/Tag

Medivo - Glaber
7/10
Okay, nice try, and this is, in my opinion, you're single greatest map. I noticed the stairs are too large for walking on normally, that's a minus, and the jumping becomes tedious. Also, too many monitors... not enough rings... The World of Pain is too easy to reach, but I like how you made it only accessible only once (but still should be removed). You used Intangible from bottom FOFs well though, so that's also very good. The only weirdness I saw with this, was that the lava was using the wrong damage.

Hotel Hallway - Dash the Hedgehog
2/10
Sorry, but it's poorly put together, and the design is horrible. The elevators tend to cause consistency failures for no apparent reason, there aren't enough rings, and the random bumps in the floor really disrupt the flow of gameplay. It's very cramped, and there isn't any real build upon the level, so you recieved a very low score.

Fort Island - Xtreme Starfox
7/10
I don't care what anyone else says, this level was very well put together. Simple, yet very fun and enjoyable to play with others. There aren't many (if any) monitors though, and that puzzled me. The outside also, has no purpose whatsoever except for collecting excessive amounts of rings without anyone noticing. It's symmetrical though, and that's good, but the camera gets stuck everywhere. The special ring combo was a good one though, as there is much open space.

Winter Twilight - I'll Begin
10/10
Beautiful. Absolutely magnificent. I feel this is more useful for Tag though (and I don't really understand tag, so I don't like it, but it didn't have enough of an effect to change how truely great this map is). Very nice scenery-influenced areas, and that made the map more interesting to be in. Great use of OpenGL lights, but for it to be truely effective, the map should be just a bit darker, or it'll be just too bright. It is the perfect composition of a spring-heavy map, but could use some more rings. I say this has the potential of becoming an SRB2 official map, in my opinion.

Carved Canyon - Some Guy
9/10
It seemed very boring to me. That is, at first. When you get into it, you see the simplicity work toward the playability of the map. It could use more rings though, and the water should be deeper on the bottom. The use of multiple floors is very intriguing. It's small. It's balanced. It's great. Good job!

Snow Shrine - Oogaland
8/10
It is insanely symmetrical, but boring for some reason, and it's too simple of a design to me. It could use more monitors, but other than the basic stuff, it was fun to play because of the simplicity.

Capture the Flag

Castle Splash - Xtreme Starfox
9/10
The clever use of waterskip immediately stole my attention. I would've never thought of using waterskip like that. Awesome placement of rings, monitors, special rings, and springs. One thing I noticed though, on the platforms atop the entire stage, the spring that sends you to the huge cliff-pillar in the middle, is not alligned with the monitor in the center. Also, the platforms seem a bit cheap, and should be tweaked a bit. The pathways were very thought out, and showed you put a lot of time and effort into the level. One major problem, is that you can easily thok out of walls on the edge, as if the thok barrier is either incredibly weak, or nonexistant.

Capture the Flag - Some Guy
8/10
It felt too simple to capture at first, but with further play, it shows that all areas sync to form a union of strategy and skill. It looked very nice, but the bottomless pit can be extremely annoying if you aren't sure where to drop at times. Every route correlates with what situation you're currently in at the present time, which is ingenious. As for the name, try something mountainous or something.

Mercury Sea - Blue Warrior
8/10
To be honest, I didn't like this map at all when I first played Netgames with it, but as I kept at it, it was very enjoyable. It's small, but it utilizes the size with interesting pathways and such. The springs should be placed on either side of the inner-base though, and not just one side. I see a very good combonation of special rings as well. Excellent use of invisible solid FOFs for outside scenery, and just wonderful overall.

RPChat Clan Hangout - Penopat
7/10
Haha. Yes, it was a very nice map. The problem though, is some of the areas are totally useless. The giant rock for example, was very boring, and just a simple little path. You could've done a lot better with it. I feel this is a strafe-based map, and those who cannot use it, are at a major disadvantage, within the entire map. You can't roll around just scenery though, you need playability. You really could've used more rings, too. The springs at the bases are total horror, because when you move forward after being hit by one, you fall off into a bottomless pit. The flags also should not respawn from the ceiling, because I found I kept returning it to base, but it wouldn't actually return to base (I had the flag, and it kept spawning over and over, never landing), and when it finally did, I had lost the flag. Think more rationally next time. Spawning from the ceiling can be fun at times, but it's actually very annoying.

Circut

Furious Gorge - Xtreme Starfox
7/10
I liked it, but there's really no point making the water hurt you. It just makes the gameplay slow down. Also, the springs (red, diagonal) will not work properly for Tails. He speeds up, and enters his running frames, making him hit the ceiling and walk momentarily, and die. The shortcuts are a bit easy, but they don't shave too many seconds off, which is a plus. Also, it's funny how it sounds like, "Curious George".

Perpetual Wasteland - Some Guy
4/10
I know you really tried hard with this one, and it was easy to tell because of all the great decorations, but it was too overdone, and the playability screwed up. Also, never use only one checkpoint, because it's easy to exploit the open space and just ignore the route. I like how you made a Sonic route and Tails/Knuckles route though. Keep trying, but Circut just isn't your thing.

Single Player

Grassy Grove - RedEchidna
3/10
I thought it was a bit neat, but way too cramped. Single player levels can be hard at times, just don't give up.

Diamondus - Glaber
1/10
I really didn't enjoy playing this, and pfft. I knew it was Jazz Jackrabbit themed before you even posted it. Hint hint, your avatar. Oh, and the Sally thing... a bit creepy.

Nuclear Sunset - BlueZero4
8/10
Nice design. Very interesting how it splits into three seperate routes.

Battle Woods III - Glaber
0/10

Notes:
- Death Pits don't always have to be black you know.
- I played these in Netgames with actual people, so it's a fair unbiased decision.
- I used decimals for my original scores, then just rounded them.
- I did not add "Zone" at the end of any titles.

Single Player
These maps have been played separately in single player.

Grassy Grove Zone 1 by RedEchidna (2/10)
This is cramped, linear, short, and somewhat inconsistent in textures. There is a hidden emerald token, but it doesn't get any better than that. What's funny is that I actually had replaced the GFZ2 music with Saturn's Grassy Grove 1 track in my music pack. How fitting.

Diamondus Zone by Glaber (5/10)
The thing that really bugged me was that the main overworld texture used on this map looks like crummy wallpaper, and doesn't really seem to fit in my opinion. Most other textures were all right, though I really don't get that Sally thing at all. Otherwise, even though this had nonlinearity to it, there were still some bland parts to the level, particularly the lake with only air bubbles in it. Nice "transformation" of the emerald token, though.

Nuclear Sunset Zone by BlueZero4 (9/10)
Very nice. From the start, this is very nonlinear, and contains different varieties of challenges with each path you take. I love how some of the ideas went into play. Personally, I think there was a great taste of textures used as well, though the beginning metallic fortresses seemed a little too... generic. From the looks of it, the crawla commander was socced to shoot small pits of turret fire. To me, this looks a little awkward, as no sound plays when he shoots it, and popup turret bullets seem more fitting. The temple was a bit weird in the sense that half of the walls were black... though that's not necessarily a bad thing. All in all though, this is a great level, and kept me occupied enough to play three times in a row and still be fully entertained.

Battlewoods 3 by Glaber (3/10)
Thanks, but the heavy metal doesn't fit the stage AT ALL. I switched tunes immediately. As for the actual level, nice use of doors activated upon defeating enemies, but the level design is extremely linear. The level isn't broken in any way, shape, or form, so that's a plus, I guess.

Match/Tag
These maps have been tested and played online in Match.

MAPA1 - Medivo by Glaber (6/10)
This is sorta meh. A couple of the floors where the lava sits has the lava texture, which sort of bugged me. There were some stair steps that Sonic had to jump to go up, though that's pretty minor. Meanwhile, it seemed a touch small in general, and not extremely interesting. Still, not too bad.

MAPA2 - Hotel Hallway Zone by Dash the Hedgehog (3/10)
Firstly, the carpet walls blend in with the ground, and there's one too many floors, none of them really being all that different. When you're to get a teleport, you'd have no idea where you are (though I guess that doesn't matter too much). The elevator was a nice touch, but since it's reported to have consis'd in netgames, it doesn't make up for the whole map being bland.

MAPA3 - Fort Island Zone by Xtreme Starfox (8/10)
My only complaint about this map is that the outskirts are too vast. This isn't too much of a problem, as there are still at least rings there, meaning bouts in the outskirts are pretty easy to do.

MAPA4 - Winter Twilight Zone by I'll Begin (8/10)
Right off the bat, I can say that you've pretty much succeeded at making the level look beautiful. Except for those hideous flashy-lights buildings, which I think should be replaced by another graphic. As for the actual gameplay, the bottom floor is a little flat and small, but the vertical exploration that the level provides makes up for most boringness down below.

MAPA5 - Carved Canyon by Some guy (10/10)
Just flat-out enjoyable. A few hidden goodies (automatic ring under the elevators), perfectly evened out level design vertically and horizontally, and also in terms of item placement. I can't see any flaws here.

MAPA6 - Snow Shrine Zone by Oogaland (8/10)
Nice layout overall, though it seems a tad large, but that's just me being picky. I have no real complaints on it.

Capture the Flag
These maps have been tested and played online in CTF.

MAPA7 - Castle Splash Zone by Xtreme Starfox (8/10)
Very nice stage here, and interesting use of water skipping. I noticed a few undeafed rings at the bottom castle entrances, so you may want to fix that.

MAPA8 - Capture the flag... by Some guy (7/10)
This stage is a little confusing at first (a couple times, I got lost or went the wrong direction), but it's otherwise a nice stage. Just a small thing I'd recommend is to point all of the blue/red team spawn things in the direction of the other base, rather than at their own.

MAPA9 - Mercury Sea Zone by Blue Warrior
This is my second completed map, but the first one I've sent to the contest. The outside scenery was an experiment I had in mind (in hard mode, there are even a couple crawlas you can even shoot at for points). While it's ideal for match, the main complaint for CTF seems to be that it's too small. I'm sure I can resolve this easily by simply stretching out the middle part of the stage a bit. While others think placing different thing types for difficulties is completely retarded, I really don't give a damn, because it adds more variety. The reason that nobody switches difficulty is because almost no other maps utilize it. Why should the difficulties be scrapped if they can be used to the designers advantage? What's the point?

MAPAA - RPChat Clan Hangout Zone by Penopat (8/10)
Heheheh. Good map, though some of the springs bugged me. The diagonal red springs at the top of the base can very easily make you fall down the base when you don't want to, so I would personally scrap them.

Circuit
These maps were speedran alone in Circuit.

MAPAB - Furious Gorge Zone by Xtreme Starfox (6/10)
The damaging water is pointless. While the shortcuts seem a tad too easy, they aren't a major advantage ahead of the race, so no thumbs down there. The map is pretty good, it's mainly the water that bugged me.

MAPAC - Perpetual Wasteland by Some guy (5/10)
The two things that are wrong with this map is that there's one checkpoint, and it's confusing to know if you're going the right direction. The map needs at least one more checkpoint, and to be a little bit less confusing on where to go next, as I got lost for a few seconds more than once.

Well, now that that's out of the way, time for miscellaneous comments.

BlueZero4 said:
Segmint said:
Nuclear Sunset - BlueZero4
8/10
Nice design. Very interesting how it splits into two seperate routes.
Three, Segmint, three.
Originally, I was going to say that at the time of writing this. But in the beginning, there's three paths (or two and a half, since two of them technically merge later on), and two paths inside the temple.

I said:
I'm still waiting for that friggin' router.
Ironically, I got my router the day after I said this.

From what I'm reading, Medivo I a step in the right direction for match mode submitions from me.

Re: My Voting

Segmint said:
Great use of OpenGL lights, but for it to be truely effective, the map should be just a bit darker, or it'll be just too bright.
It's slightly brighter than the general lighting amount for a dark map, because it's an active city, so I wanted to have SOME light. If I ever make a night-time city again, I'm going to try extra hard to illuminate the buildings while keeping the map dark. I have an idea of how.

Blue Warrior said:
From the looks of it, the crawla commander was socced to shoot small pits of turret fire. To me, this looks a little awkward, as no sound plays when he shoots it, and popup turret bullets seem more fitting.
Uhm, the sound comes from the bullet. If I switch bullets, I switch sounds.

Blue Warrior said:
The temple was a bit weird in the sense that half of the walls were black... though that's not necessarily a bad thing.
That's just freakishly transparent water, I believe. Unless there's something I missed, though.

BlueZero4 said:
Blue Warrior said:
From the looks of it, the crawla commander was socced to shoot small pits of turret fire. To me, this looks a little awkward, as no sound plays when he shoots it, and popup turret bullets seem more fitting.
Uhm, the sound comes from the bullet. If I switch bullets, I switch sounds.
Er, that doesn't make sense. Both types of turrets make a *BEYOWW* sound when they shoot a bullet. When the crawla commander is shooting the turret fire, it's not making any sound. The sound must come from the enemy, not the bullet.

BlueZero4 said:
Blue Warrior said:
The temple was a bit weird in the sense that half of the walls were black... though that's not necessarily a bad thing.
That's just freakishly transparent water, I believe. Unless there's something I missed, though.
Oh, I see it. I was previously viewing it in OpenGL. Software renders it just fine.
Um... any way you can fix that for OGL? o.O

Single Player

Grassy Grove Act 1 by RedEchidna - 3/10

Um...is this one of your first levels? If it is, I think you need to go over the Level Design 101 again. You've got yourself aqquainted with knowhow, just need to get better at the overall design.

Diamondus by Glaber - 4/10

I'm sorry Glaber, but custom textures, music and those other little perks don't make up for a bad level. It's a bit too open, the textures look like crap in SRB2 when viewed from far away, and it's too dark in the cave areas.

Battle Woods Act 3 by Glaber - 2/10

Are you obsessed with Jazz Jackrabbit or something? Also, the custom music sucks here. Cramped areas, Jetty-syns in small areas, come on Glaber, you've done much better than this mate. :) Maybe you can spend more time on one level than make lots of levels for the contest.

Nuclear Sunset by BlueZero4 - 6/10

Some creative ideas in there, but I was confused a bit in a few areas. Also "Nuclear" and "Sunset"? Spotted neither of those here.

Match

Medivo by Glaber - 5/10

The level was at least OK to play in. The fire and the the fire waterfall AND the world of pain annoyed me very much, though. Also when I first got into this map, I was confused about where to go. Why does this not look anything like the original in Jazz Jackrabbit?

Hotel Hallway by Dash the Hedgehog - 1/10

I really should be giving this a zero, because it's too confusing to be a match level at all, but I found some enjoyment in this level.

Fort Island by Xtreme Starfox - 5/10

The level overall looked very plain and boring, but I had some enjoyment sniping people from above and sneaking up on people. It plays good, but doesn't look good, so it's not a complete disaster.

Winter Twilight by I'll Begin - 4/10

Pretty. Very pretty. But it is very cramped and I spent most of the time actually looking for someone to shoot. Maybe this is more suited to a bigger netgame, but the size of the level overall isn't up to a bigger size than about 6 people.

Carved Canyon by Some guy - 7/10

It's great. There's lots of room to move around, it's fun to play in and has some cool gimmicks in there. Although compared to Tree Ring, this level does fall short.

Snow Shrine by Oogaland - 7/10

Reminds me of a winter version of Tree Ring, sort of. It looks cool, it plays great, and is great. Sort of like the situation of good old Carved Canyon.

Capture the Flag

Castle Splash by Xtreme Starfox - 4/10

This level was annoyingly fun to play in. The level was not very pretty and I hated the fact that I could smackdab onto spikes if I waited too long on the platforms.

Capture the flag... by Some guy - 7/10

The title of the level gave me the impression that a n00b made this. Well, I was completely wrong now, was I? This level is tiny, but sometimes awesome things come in small packages. The texturing looked okay, but it looked very wierd in places. Ah well, this level is pretty good.

Mercury Sea by Blue Warrior - 6/10

Cool. I found it really fun to play in here, and while the bases were dark which I sort of hate, and going underwater to get to the bases fastest was a bit of a pain, it is a well-thought out level.

RPChat Hangout Clan by Penopat - 5/10

lol Hangout. And there's only one path? Hey, at least the trees look cool.

Circuit

Furious Gorge by Xtreme Starfox - 6/10

It was fun to play in and I love the shortcut aswell. The water pointlessly damages though and the platforming in some areas is a bit of a suckage. :/

Perpetual Wasteland by Some guy - 2/10

I'm sorry, but this level is so confusing. I can't even finish this level with Sonic, I had to use Tails to finish it.

There...I'm done.

Congratulations! You've given the lowest scores out of everyone who has voted so far! (No scores over 7/10)

I'm impatient, so I did a chart on the CTF division to keep me occupied. We have a pretty close run:

Code:
Castle Splash: 6.02              3, 7, 9, 8, 4
Capture the flag: 6.66           7, 6, 5, 8, 7, 7
Mercury Sea: 6.75                4, 7, 6, 8, 6
RPChat Clan Hangout: 7.25        8, 6, 7, 8, 5

(Penopat and I voted, so our lowest scores were dropped, a la the rules.)

Xtreme Starfox and some guy better log in and vote, or else Peno will be taking the gold for sure. =P

Mystic said:
Judging will end July 11th at midnight GMT (July 10th, 7:00 PM EST). The scores will be then averaged, and the person with the highest score is the winner.
You still have two days left, though...

I made Furious Gorge's level water hurt so that Characters with fly ablity won't be able to get back up if they fall into the water, and so people can't skip on the water.

>.<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back