Stuttering everywhere

When playing singleplayer, multiplayer, and even idling at the main menu, my FPS fluctuates like crazy from 10 FPS to 35 FPS. Sometimes the game freezes entirely for a good second. It's weird because my PC is fairly high end. I have an i7 8700k, GTX 1070 Ti, and 16 GB of DDR4 3000MHz RAM. My PC is basically overkill for a game like this, yet I get worse performance in this game compared to an ultra modded version of The Witcher 3 (which I also have been playing).

I have tried running this game in administrator mode with UAC turned off, I've turned down to the lowest video settings (including resolution), I tried moving the game over to my SSD, I tried closing all background processes on my PC, and I even tried to see if turning off OpenGL and using the software renderer would help (which of course it didn't).

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I would really appreciate the help.

I sometimes have problems with the frame rate as well. I thought it was my graphics card because before I was running a 990 and that blew up so I had to revert to my old 660. Once I got to Techno Hill, I experienced frame loss and Castle Eggman was practically running 22/35 FPS all in software mode. I recently just upgraded to a 970. It doesn't lag as much as it did with the 660, especially in Castle Eggman, but there were some subtle drops here and there in Act 2 of Castle Eggman. I'm glad to have a smooth SRB2 experience again after not having it for almost two months. Running all this in software mode by the way.

Seeing your build and why you still get some frame rate issues has left me really curious and I would love to see an answer for it. One thing I can recommend right off the bat is I would set SRB2's resolution at 640x400. I've been playing this game for almost 10 years and I have never had a problem with the smaller resolution. Running SRB2 at higher resolutions say, 1680x1050 (my old monitor), the game would tank. Hope that helps somewhat.

I'll try lowering the resolution to 640x400 again and see if that works. Hopefully it does because I did that yesterday and the game was still a stuttery mess.

I've been playing this game since I was 6 (so like 2005-2006), so I know how you feel when it comes to nostalgia. I used to play on an old Compaq laptop with (of course) Windows XP. For a while when I was a kid, SRB2 was the only game I played thanks to all the mods at the time. Final Demo v1.09.4 had so much user generated content that it was enough to keep me busy for months. I still have all the mods and files from back then just in case I need a nostalgia trip.

EDIT: Lowering the resolution didn't help one bit. I tried to see if I was having problems with other builds, and to my surprise everything past v2.1 is extremely stuttery, and v2.2.6 has the most issues out of all the other builds. I would expect builds older than v2.1 to perform worse, but it's the opposite. I hate that this is happening because it messes up any attempts at speedrunning this game.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back