Getting Online is now Impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jellybones

Lawful Neutral
Getting online has never been an issue for me, but only recently when I select "Join Server" in the multiplayer menu, the game crashes, and I get this error:

onlineerror.jpg

No idea why this happened. Help appreciated.

Once I had similar error: I joined servers with a certain wad that corrupted my config.cfg. Then, when I tried to join again, a SOCK error message pops up.

I simply deleted config.cfg. I lost the configs, obviously, but in 5 min I could fix everything up and I kept a backup.

I downloaded a evil wad file onece that changed my config so it automadicly loads every time the game starts. >_>

I had to reinstall 1.09.4 in order to remove it so I could get back to normal SRB2 and play games. (The wad that did it was HORRIBLE!)

So, try reinstalling SRB2 2.0 and then upgrade to 2.0.4.

I wasn't aware wads could add custom lines to your config, actually. Unless they use some sort of semi-colon trickery?

I like what you did with the title by the way, very journalism style, making it sound tragic and like a huge thing when actually it's not. =P

Rebooted lately?

Just check config.cfg for a "addfile" line or something. If you can't find anything that could've made it happen, check all the cfgs in your SRB2 folder. If none of them are causing it, delete them all and reinstall Srb2. That's my only suggestion.

I wasn't aware wads could add custom lines to your config, actually. Unless they use some sort of semi-colon trickery?

I like what you did with the title by the way, very journalism style, making it sound tragic and like a huge thing when actually it's not. =P

Rebooted lately?

I figured out how to do it from the wad but I forgot how to as it was over six months ago...

WADs can have a huge set of lines scripted into them that can, when added to the game, make a new config by the name of autoexec.cfg. When it does that, those lines can include something that can prevent you from netgaming and even intentionally crash SRB2.

You guys DO realize that reinstalling SRB2 really doesn't do anything, right? All reinstalling SRB2 does is re-extract all the data files. Unless you've been messing around with the game's files in an editor, you shouldn't be having any issues that reinstalling would be necessary to fix.

Simply deleting config.cfg and autoexec.cfg should be more than enough to fix any issues you may be having because that resets the game to a newly installed state.

You got a point there. Didn't know that practically restarts the game...

The only files SRB2 uses to save things are:

config.cfg - Stores your controls, resolution, and other game preferences.
gamedata.dat - Stores your unlockable data, time attack records, etc.
srb2sav*.ssg - Game save data.
replay\main\map##-##.lmp - Replay data for Time Attack.
log.txt - Game log of last time the game was run.
errorlog.txt - Log of sigsegvs.

All the other files in the SRB2 directory will not be modified by the game at all.

Doxyfile is the file used by Doxygen, a program that generates documentation for programming APIs. End users shouldn't really be concerned over it. How did you obtain SRB2?

Via the site. Doxyfile has ABSOLUTELY no file extension, which REALLY confuses me.

I have found a wad that -- I suspect -- messes with SRB2 (it's for 1.09.4, but I doubt scripting has changed in v2.0). It's a very small wad file.

I could send it to those who want to look at.

Last edited:
Lemme look at it. I want to know what things inside the WADs can cause errors so I can look out for them.

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

HOLY! I tried replying to that guy and it added the quick reply to my previous post, I edited that out, and his post was deleted! O_O

Yes, restart your computer.

SSNTails visited my SOCK error thread a long time ago. Simply said restart would fix it and yippe!

Though, it might not work if your SOCK error is different.

SRB2 has been like this for the past three days, restarting my computer won't help.

I deleted config.cfg, but I couldn't find an autoexec.cfg. SRB2 still crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back