Google+

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABraker95

Perhaps you want cake
First Myspace then Facebook (there might have been sites before that), and now Google has a new project going that maybe better than facebook called Google+ or G+. It is to be out for the public soon, but they are testing it out for now. It seems that it comes with its own unique features such as Circles, Hangouts, Sparks and Huddle. See it all here: http://www.google.com/+/demo/. What do you think?

Obligatory XKCD comic.

also Explosm, but that's NSFW

I have a Google+ account. It's k. Still needs some refinement and it's definitely not going to replace the phenomenon that is Facebook, but it's definitely going to give it a run for its money. It's also got some Twitter-like qualities too. It's kinda Facebook and Twitter in one, along with Google's obvious plan for world domination.

Last edited:
So far I'm a bit underwhelmed. Because it's Google, I'd expect something simple yet revolutionary that would help it beat its competitors. Although I have seen quite a few different features from Facebook, I haven't seen anything that makes me think "FB is gone, G+ is here".

I feel the true brilliance og Google+ will be realized when more poeple join Google+. Right now G+ is a Barron wasteland with tumbleweeds.

Honestly, social nextworking is a huge waste of time. People spend hours on there playing cheap shitty games that take forever to load and advertise way too much. The only time I get on my Facebook is on my iPod to skim the newsfeed. While they are helping the older generation get technologic, they can cause unstable teens to freak out because someone called them a name online and commit suicide.

I was hopeing facebook would slowly fade out if our lives, but now it looks like this is just gunna take its place and take hours of the same peoples' lives

Last edited:
I hate Facebook and Google+ is not better. ;)

Read this; and if you are able to understand German, maybe this is even better.

no-facebook.png

(made by R.Siddharth)

Honestly, social nextworking is a huge waste of time. People spend hours on there playing cheap shitty games that take forever to load and advertise way too much. The only time I get on my Facebook is on my iPod to skim the newsfeed. While they are helping the older generation get technologic, they can cause unstable teens to freak out because someone called them a name online and commit suicide.

I was hopeing facebook would slowly fade out if our lives, but now it looks like this is just gunna take its place and take hours of the same peoples' lives
But the thing about social networking is that it's revolutionised communication and it makes it easier for all of us to keep in touch. Your negative views have nothing to do with social networking itself, and besides, IM and message boards are also social networks in their own right, so if you hate social networking, what the heck are you doing here?

I hate Facebook and Google+ is not better. ;)

Read this; and if you are able to understand German, maybe this is even better.

http://www.stallman.org/no-facebook.png
(made by R.Siddharth)
>Linux geek
>I hate something because it's mainstream and therefore it's insecure and evil and we should all be using open-source software

Ugh it's WhiteRose all over again. I'm not even going to bother taking you seriously

Last edited:
I wasn't thinking about how general social networking is. I ment mostly just Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter.
As for communication, it's called a phone? Yes I know these sites can be used for communication, my point is they're not. People spend more time on the games.
Messages Boards usually have a purpose, in this case SRB2. You can get into intellectual debates as well. FAR different from Facebook in every way.
Please don't be angered by my opinions, they are after all just opinions.

I wasn't thinking about how general social networking is. I ment mostly just Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter.
As for communication, it's called a phone? Yes I know these sites can be used for communication, my point is they're not. People spend more time on the games.
Messages Boards usually have a purpose, in this case SRB2. You can get into intellectual debates as well. FAR different from Facebook in every way.
Please don't be angered by my opinions, they are after all just opinions.

Comparing a phone to social networking is not a good idea. The fact is, communication is entirely different on a phone, where you are actually speaking to someone. I for one, find talking on phones incredibly awkward, but have no problem chatting with someone in a text based environment.

I know what you mean about people spending more times playing silly games or incessantly and pointlessly "liking" things. I have a few friends who do that, and it bugs me to no end.
I think I know the problem though. It's the misuse of good things. I've overheard a few people talking on occasion, and more than once the phrase "Facebook is boring" has come up. It always strikes me as ridiculous, for this very reason: Facebook is not a game. It wasn't made to entertain.
It must be part of today's stupid society or something, but people are treating a social media site as a source of entertainment, and that's just retarded. (I should also mention that the people I heard saying that are the exact people who spam your wall with "likes")
Of course, I try to avoid 'friending' those sort of people, and have more than once discouraged parents from letting their children get Facebooks, for the very reason that I know their children aren't responsible enough to use it in an intelligent manner.

Obviously, though, that isn't the case with everybody. There's a number of friends of mine who honestly use it as a resource to speak with people they normally wouldn't be able to, show off their creations, and share interesting info. Some of these people, I've held very interesting conversations with on Facebook, a lot like the stuff we have here.

tl;dr The problem is not Facebook itself, it is the idiots using it, who instead of using it as a social tool, mindlessly post song lyrics, "like" things, and spam Farmville requests.

Comparing a phone to social networking is not a good idea. The fact is, communication is entirely different on a phone, where you are actually speaking to someone. I for one, find talking on phones incredibly awkward, but have no problem chatting with someone in a text based environment.

You should try texting, you don't have to sit at the computer to do it and it's just like Facebook chat.
I agree with everything else you said though.

You should try texting, you don't have to sit at the computer to do it and it's just like Facebook chat.

You do have to sit in front of an annoying small screen and tiny keypad though. Sharing photos is awkward/expensive and it is difficult/expensive/irritating to do a broadcast message like a facebook status. It is also incredibly less complex, and I mean that in a bad way.

Facebook-esque social networking is here to stay.

Once you start texting, you won't be able to stop... I think. I see many people with eyes on a small screen, with their thumbs racing on small keyboards. Kinda gets annoying, but I guess that's the majority.

Anyway, I remember when Myspace went out, it was a big hit. Then Facebook came and took over. Now there is something fresh and new (most importantly still largely developing), G+ has a chance.

From Google Trends:
Notice how Myspace went down, as Facebook went up!

Myspace:
viz

Facebook:
viz

Google+: Hard to tell anything just yet, but it will be seen soon
viz

I remember seeing people's Myspace pages when they used to link to them on older forums. Their Myspace pages look extremely cluttered and it looked like a cheap fansite.

Facebook on the other hand has a clean style. Everything is in the same format and easy to read/find. Many people chose Facebook as it was ultimately better, not because it was new.

Google+ on the other hand takes a slightly different approach, from what I heard it uses this "circle" theme. Google+ also seems to target online friends while people consider Facebook to be IRL friends. So in the end, I don't see Google+ taking away Facebook's popularity.

And what happens if I haven't seen that person in years and want to talk to them again?

I didnt mean to not ever use Facebook, I meant texting is a better replacement for phone calls then Facebook chat. Use FB chat to get someones number then text then.
If you don't like small screens get a bigger phone, if you don't wanna pay, then use FB as your main communication.

Last edited:
If you don't want to be considered a fool (for lack of a better word that won't get me in trouble), why don't you stop posting your unjustified prejudice in this thread where it doesn't belong? It's not your job to tell people what to do, what to use, and how to use it, so take your opinion elsewhere, and stop derailing the topic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back