September/October 2010 Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
My God!!! Is this contest so disgusting?? The SP levels didn't pass of the 5 points!!!! I think I'll test the maps by myself and see if they're realy bad.

a) he's banned for a year so he won't read it anyway (right?)
(Wrong!) You can still see the forums, you just can't post.

b) Every element of the map is so laughably bad it's almost not worth description
And what laughable thing is that? Tell me. (Better yet give some criticism.)

c) You may as well criticise Mystic too since he didn't see the point either.
Really? This is your excuse? the old "Well he did that, so I can too!" ?
If you where *really* following Mystic you give the same score too for SCZ.

It's difficult. Not unclearable without 99 lives. Try not rushing.
Is a racing map, YOU SHOULD GO FAST!! Plus it's not difficult, it's annoying and a puzzle map (Puzzle map is bad as race.)

If a couple people in IRC were any indication, they were trying to set it up to be the first map to win a division with a score of 0, a funny statistic--
Oh, so you are doing this to troll people on IRC.
I get it now.

but one it is not deserving of.
The author named it "Stupid Circuit" and if you spindash wrong even once, you lose the entire race and all you can do it rejoin the server, or wait for time over (which if everyone is Sonic) will take over 20 mins (depending on how many laps you have on.) Not to mention that it only uses like 3 or 4 textures in all (including the checkered line.)

Really? This is your excuse? the old "Well he did that, so I can too!" ? If you where *really* following Mystic you give the same score too for SCZ.
You do know that nobody needs to give any criticism at all, right? I don't see what's the problem. He gave the map a 0/10 and said he won't review it because the author is banned anyway.

Is a racing map, YOU SHOULD GO FAST!!
You can go fast without rushing. You just have to be careful.

Plus it's not difficult, it's annoying and a puzzle map (Puzzle map is bad as race.)
You think that. I personally liked the idea of a puzzle race.

and if you spindash wrong even once, you lose the entire race and all you can do it rejoin the server, or wait for time over (which if everyone is Sonic) will take over 20 mins (depending on how many laps you have on.)
Why on earth are you spindashing in this map? It should be obvious that spindashing in no-gravity is a really horrible idea.

Not to mention that it only uses like 3 or 4 textures in all (including the checkered line.)
I don't see how that's a problem, frankly.

I have to say it's pretty amusing to see people all in eachothers' faces over a map which I made in about two hours, called Stupid Circuit. Way to live up to its moniker!

Or I could be all serious and defensive and point out how it probably uses as many textures as Nimbus Ruins.

Stupid Circuit!

If SRB2 level editors didn't hate my guts and threaten to crash every two hours, I'd join in.

How were they?
Awful, obviously. The only good joke map is the one still in, Stupid Circuit. If I may fill in, we had:

• Totally Flat Zone, which was a, well, totally flat Match level.
  • Thokoween, a 2D Race map which was just a flat straight with no obstacles.
  • A really awful Match level I don't quite remember (don't know if it was a joke map, but it was removed).
  • I played with the thought of making ObNoxious Factory, a Match level with a really annoying flickering light, but I didn't actually make it.
  • Don't know if I forgot something.
No authors because they should decide themselves if they want others to know.

you lose the entire race and all you can do it rejoin the server, or wait for time over (which if everyone is Sonic) will take over 20 mins (depending on how many laps you have on.)

I can finish 4 laps in about 5/6 minutes, thank you very much.

Also, if you spindash off, turn your camera sideways and start strafing.

Tip: Strafe keys always work, even during a spindash.

[18:04] <MrMystery> XSpeedGodX: did brawl steal a map from you and enter it in the contest?
[18:05] <XSpeedGodX> Which map?
[18:05] <MrMystery> http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=34920 <-- Frosty Floe
[18:05] <XSpeedGodX> I only did little parts to Frosty Floe
[18:06] <XSpeedGodX> Brawl was the main creator
[18:07] <XSpeedGodX> I think Brawl removed what I did to it
[18:07] <XSpeedGodX> I dunno though
[18:07] <XSpeedGodX> IDRC either
Guess that settles that...

I liked Medivo's square aesthetic. The rest of the map was ugly, but I have a passion for orderly, square things. So that square aesthetic almost raised my vote for the map, because I hand out my scores wholistically after I get a feel for the map.

I'd have thought you of all people, the "Anti-Hallway Activist", would have downright loathed that level with a fiery passion.

And for the record, I did Totally Flat Zone. It wasn't bad, considering it was a five-minute barely-tested joke level--terrible by any other standard. At least it had weapons, WRMs, SRMs, and Chaos Emerald Spawns, but I dunno how well their placement would have worked out, considering I didn't try it with multiple people.

Whatever. It was a joke. It's gone now.

Last edited:
犬夜叉;693803 said:
Oh really?

Where?

(Protip: visuals affect how the map plays)
Except music doesn't, and deton lights on walls affect it badly by foreshadowing a danger that does not exist.

There's this thing called immersion. A map needs good visuals to interest the player and make him feel "comfortable", for the lack of a better term. Medivo uses one texture and thus feels like a test map rather than an actual level. So yeah, visuals affect how well a map plays, and not just purely functionally.
Except D00D was giving points for good visuals.

Visuals definitely matter in how a stage plays. Now, you shouldn't rate something down if the stage is just ugly without being detrimental to gameplay, but if the textures make it hard to see or the visual style of the map makes the secrets too obvious because they're the only spots in the map with detail, that's detrimental to the gameplay of the stage.
Except D00D wasn't talking about this.

Here are my votes on the SP division:

Rainy Jungle Zone by A Cat 1/10
The level wasn't really that fun at all to play and didn't look to good either. First of all the textures really clashed, I mean you shouldn't have used the many different variations of the jungle wall texture it doesn't look too nice jumbled together. Also the DSZ textures did seem out of place as well due to the level being a jungle and having a ancient temple door for one part of the level. Lastly some of the enemies were really grouped close together I would suggest spacing them out and not using that many. If I had to compare this with your previous OLDC, Lava Reef Zone was better than Rainy Jungle Zone. Use the advice people give you and improve.

Medivo Zone by glaber 4/10
The custom textures were nice, but you could've had some variation because those red bricks started becoming bland after awhile. Also the level was really blocky, I know it was supposed to be a castle level but add some shape. Also there were a few rooms that seemed really big for no reason, I mean taking the advice from above you could've narrowed places like that or say if it was a turn, you could've made it more curved. I did like the different ways you hid some item monitors but some were blatantly obvious and that one up near those two ring monitors was easy to find out and anyone would notice it if they looked up, or saw the spring. That's all; I hope you improve your levels.

Frosty Floe Zone by Brawl 5/10
Please place the map on MAP01. I liked this level, the music was nice, that icicle obstacle was neat, and overall the level was interesting. But there were some faults, like everything in this SP division. Any who towards the end the random yellow ice and purple textures weren't really needed since they really weren't transitioned into to and the entire level was one kind of ice color. Also at times the map was confusing to follow, so maybe have a more linear path, or better yet hint to the player which way to go either with signs or using textures to indicate a certain direction. Also there were some places that felt empty so maybe putting some objects and such you could add a little more in. But overall I enjoyed playing this map.

Last edited:
犬夜叉;693916 said:
Music does very well impact how a map plays. It affects the player's mood quite a bit.
half-dog demons are not sentient enough to understand the concept of mood!

Either way, doesn't affect enough to change score on a 10 (11) point rating scale, imo

I'd have thought you of all people, the "Anti-Hallway Activist", would have downright loathed that level with a fiery passion.

And for the record, I did Totally Flat Zone. It wasn't bad, considering it was a five-minute barely-tested joke level--terrible by any other standard. At least it had weapons, WRMs, SRMs, and Chaos Emerald Spawns, but I dunno how well their placement would have worked out, considering I didn't try it with multiple people.

Whatever. It was a joke. It's gone now.
I think the reason your flat level got rejected was a result of my Wacky Wheels levels from the 1.09.4 days that was also flat and got a overall rating of 1.13.

Last edited:
Except D00D was giving points for good visuals.
Well, imagine a level with really boring gameplay but some great visuals. I think it would deserve a point added or two. But whatever, I agree that these weird lights weren't really enough to add points.

Medivo Zone by glaber 4/10
This level I have to admit was better than the other two

Frosty Floe Zone by Brawl 5/10
Uhm what?

I think the reason your flat level got rejected was a result of my Wacky Wheels levels from the 1.09.4 days that was also flat and got a overall rating of 1.13.
Uhm what? (again) The reason Totally Flat Zone was rejected is because it was an awful joke level. It has nothing to do with you, and I have no idea why you would assume that. Not everything that happens in the OLDC has something to do with you.

Last edited:
Yeah, don't overthink this. Totally Flat Zone was a piece of crap, even as far as joke levels are concerned. That is the reason it didn't make it.

Geez, I just can't get over how awful the Single Player division in this contest was. The fact that the clear best level is a Brawl creation should be a pretty strong wake-up call to this community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back