Doctor Who - Not just for us Brits, you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cue

ALAM STOP BREAKING THE S
I hereby claim this thread as the Doctor Who discussion thread.

Anyone here watch this? It's a rather large staple of our culture over here, and one of the most popular shows that isn't some dodgy soap opera we have. Season...uh, 5, started over here just yesterday, so for the benefit of those who haven't seen it, please keep any spoilers within the appropriate tags until a least a week after it's shown in the USA (17th of April, I believe). After that, anyone who cares about spoilers should have watched it, otherwise it's inevitable.

So, I was expecting the new Doctor to be rather bad compared to Tennant, but I was pleasantly surprised, he wasn't as bad as I expected, but at the same time he has yet to outdo Tennant (very difficult). The fact that they changed the logo, tune (slightly), TARDIS, etc bothered me slightly, but I completely raged when they made the sonic screwdriver green.

Also, nice companion, how much is a kissogram?

Doctor Who - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Doctor Who (2010 Series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
This show needs to pick up in the US again. I need a good reason to watch TV.

...Well, besides Top Gear and House.

It still shows on the Syfy Channel now and agian here in the U.S. But lately i haven't found the time to watch it. Guess I'll have to see what the good docter is up to. :D

This show needs to pick up in the US again. I need a good reason to watch TV.

...Well, besides Top Gear and House.

We're getting it TWO FREAKING WEEKS LATER on the 17 of April. There is a free viewing of the episode in NYC on the 14 with the presence (and Q and A right after the episode) of The Doctor, Amy Pond, and Steven Moffat (The New writer). I suppose the event in NYC makes up for being two weeks late for New Yorkers, but for those outside of the NYC, not so much. I ended up using the powers of the internet to watch it the following Sunday it premiered.
Anyhow I am excited that The Doctor is back in action but I'm also sad that The Doctor has like one Regeneration to go before possibly dying.

The Doctor has like one Regeneration to go before possibly dying.

The Master's into minus numbers now, it's relatively simple for them to play some trickery to give him some more.

Also, debatable, since he only half regenerated last time, depends if it's a matter of his body not coping with the huge change so many times or using up all the energy he has available to him.

I remember back in 10th grade on the SciFI channel that they showed a marathon of the old episodes of Dr. Who. Have to say it was because of that day that I got into the show.

After watching the two-parter with the cybermen (episode 20 of the '06 series) I started watching more of both the 2006 and the 2010 series. I do prefer the 2006 Doctor, considering he was good at balancing between oddity, sentimentality, and just being generally awesome. However I thought the new Doctor had a good moment at the end of the 2010's first episode.

I loved Amelia's introduction, similar to "The Girl in the Fireplace" where he goes the short way and she must go the long way. Except that episode was rather profound while this one was just delightfully quirky. Considering how long it has been around, I expect the show has bounced back and forth between the two for quite some time.

I'll be catching up on the 2010 series. I'm not sure if any more of the '06 series will be showing, I haven't seen any episodes since the one where the Doctor faced off against Satan.

After watching the two-parter with the cybermen (episode 20 of the '06 series) I started watching more of both the 2006 and the 2010 series. I do prefer the 2006 Doctor, considering he was good at balancing between oddity, sentimentality, and just being generally awesome. However I thought the new Doctor had a good moment at the end of the 2010's first episode.

I loved Amelia's introduction, similar to "The Girl in the Fireplace" where he goes the short way and she must go the long way. Except that episode was rather profound while this one was just delightfully quirky. Considering how long it has been around, I expect the show has bounced back and forth between the two for quite some time.

I'll be catching up on the 2010 series. I'm not sure if any more of the '06 series will be showing, I haven't seen any episodes since the one where the Doctor faced off against Satan.

You can grab the entire new season from series 1 (Eccleston and Piper) to series 5 (Tennant and Tate) from certain sites, if you catch my drift. And the new episodes are generally put up within a few days of being aired over here.

Of course, I can't condone that sort of stuff.

I just watched "The Doomsday" and I'm speechless (in a manner of speaking). From the music, to the story, to the ending. The intro to this one and the one before it felt odd, but it worked in the end. It also kept me on my toes where I'd normally find it predictable.

And this episode also had the first scene I've ever seen of Dr Who, which a fellow modder showed me to illustrate just how awesome the daleks are. I hear that their redesign is a bit lacking which is too bad, but I'm glad that my first impression of the daleks came from this episode.

After this episode particularly, it strikes me that the Doctor's always in different worlds, different places, after a while he must even have a new face, the Doctor's companion must always be left behind somehow. There is only one constant in his life, and that is that he is the Doctor, the last of the time lords, and that's just so sad.

That spoiler pretty much sums it up, yeah. The future seasons after Season 2 really play on that.

Seriously, watch them in order, the story arch always ends up spanning quite a few episodes, with little oddities and hints all over the place, I doubt it made much sense without seeing the Cyberman episode from earlier on that season.

Except I did watch the Cybermen episode first... I watched everything from "New Earth" (15 I think) to this one. The only thing that I didn't get was Rose's previous dealings with the daleks but they had enough explanation of that to get by.

Episode 3 or something of the Eccleston series ("Dalek"), and the last 2 episodes of the same series ("Bad Wolf" and "The Parting of Ways") are the ones you're after for Rose's encounters.

Also, don't forget the specials, they're awesome too.

I just got caught up in the US run of the 2010 series (we're three weeks behind you I think) and it seems to me that Dr Who is becoming more serialized than usual. Additionally, I thought after seeing the possessed Ood, I'd never find more terrifying in the series. But the angels! the whole way through, the angel two-parter was Nightmare Fuel Unleaded.

When do you guys view the next episode, tomorrow we have the Lodger, Vincent and the Doctor was last week, next week and the week after is the two part season finale. We have it every saturday evening around 6pm :D
It's the longest running Sci-fi show as well as Britain's most graphical TV show.

daiches99, it's our show basically, never mind Eastenders and Coronation Street and all that crap, Doctor Who is British through and through.

If David Tennant doesn't run the last 500 yards with the Olympic Torch in 2012, the whole timeline is doomed though. :(

Just watched "The Pandorica Opens" through the magic of teh interwebz, and it blew my mind.

Definitely going out with a bang. I mean, every one of the Doctor's enemies? In one show? Also, the ending was unexpected for how much of a sacred cow Doctor Who is. Unfortunately this probably means that "Goodbye Amy" will be a big, fat Reset Button.

I just watched "Blink" tonight on BBCA, and I have to say that it probably is the best episode of Doctor Who I've seen. What with the wibbly wobbly plot elements dealing with timey wimey stuff, the fact that its an outside perspective episode, and that its the debut of the angels... not to mention the ending appears to be specifically meant for the viewer. The only thing I have a problem with is that there are a couple facts about angels established in the new series:
Look into their eyes and an image forms in your brain: Both Sally and her boyfriend spent some time looking into their eyes. However they did look away intermittently and Amy actually continued staring at it the whole time without even blinking. Perhaps you need to stare at it long enough for it to happen. It also explains why no one got in trouble for accidentally meeting their eyes in battle. The image of an angel becomes an angel: Yeah Sally took some pictures of the angel on her first trip, and included them in her packet for the Doctor. Why haven't these come to life yet. Of course my solution is that either Doctor disposed of the pictures before they can infiltrate the TARDIS, or to keep a low profile they waited until they were forgotten, and then disappeared to roam the world. Which gives us a few angels unaccounted for. Guess the end of "Blink" really WAS meant for us.

Last edited:
What with the wibbly wobbly plot elements dealing with timey wimey stuff

Just you wait... =P

Also, give it a week on the spoilers (American side), after which there's no need because anyone who wants to see it already will have. The Angel episodes from this series are long gone. Last time he met with the Angels, they were quite weak, bit scavenger like, they probably didn't have enough power to do something like that. Also, I don't think they were looking into their eyes in Blink, just looking at them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back