[Open Assets] Cancelable Super Form v2.1

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

EeveeEuphoria

a pikachu irl
NOTICE: This addon exists within another addon called Many Minor Tweaks now. If you wish to change the key used for this, alongside allowing any and all characters to go super, click here.

I am way too used to various other Sonic mods that had the ability to cancel super forms (such as Sonic 3 A.I.R.), so I made this! Took me awhile to figure out how to create this since I'm not the programming type, despite this being a somewhat simple script in the end.

It's super simple to use, just jump in the air and press Spin. It will remove your super state and make you invulnerable for a second. Additionally, you will keep any shields you have obtained while you were super.
Of note, it will not cancel your super form while you're falling to the ground.

I have tested this with other mods that mess around with the super forms (such as "Hyper Abilities" and "All Characters super!"), and they seem to work properly with this.

v2.0 Update: For the 3 people out there who care, this script has been re-written in its entirety, and is on feature parity with MMT v2.3.

v2.1 Update: Fixed it so that this will not run if MMT is detected, that's all. It would cause conflicts otherwise.

Attachments

• srb20002.gif
    srb20002.gif
    5.4 MB · Views: 1,344
  • srb20003.gif
    srb20003.gif
    6.1 MB · Views: 1,139
  • VL_Cancel_Super_Form-v2.1.lua
    1.3 KB · Views: 1,865
Last edited:
Welcome to releases! Though, are you sure hold jump and press spin is the best method? Seems like it could cause a lot of problems if you wanted to super hover, but then canceled your form instead...

Welcome to releases! Though, are you sure hold jump and press spin is the best method? Seems like it could cause a lot of problems if you wanted to super hover, but then canceled your form instead...

It is possible to do super hover, you just have to start falling from your jump instead, as in, jump for long enough till you start falling back to the ground. This is due to a quirk of how the script detects how the player is jumping I think, but either way, it just requires you to time your super hover differently.

That or, if you're desperate, you can edit the key used to cancel the superform to, say, one of the custom buttons.

EDIT: Should've noted, an example of this is provided in the second screenshot gif movie thing. I just remembered I had that in one of the drafts of that post, but removed it for some reason.

Last edited:
Hey so just wanted to show something concerning compatibility with the "All Characters Super" script. When hopping off a wall with Knuckles using spin instead of jump, the cancel script activates immediately.

Example below.
giphy.gif

Oh dang, I'll look into that. I'll probably add a check so it doesn't activate when knuckles is in that state.

EDIT: Done. The APNG screencap feature in OpenGL mode is useful since it slows down the game real hard for my crummy ol laptop, thus meaning I can look at the exact frame where Knuckles' state changes, and screencap the resulting number from there :p

Hey so just wanted to show something concerning compatibility with the "All Characters Super" script. When hopping off a wall with Knuckles using spin instead of jump, the cancel script activates immediately.

Example below.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Found another quirk. This script also activates immediately when jumping out of a spindash charge. Example Below.
EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm just trying to make sure this script is the best it can be :)

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Ahh, for some reason I didn't catch that, I swore I tested it and it didn't happen lmao

I'll get to it soon, for some reason I decided to browse this post when I'm about to go to bed, so uh, yeah I'll do it when I wake up

Found another quirk. This script also activates immediately when jumping out of a spindash charge. Example Below.
EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm just trying to make sure this script is the best it can be :)

giphy.gif

they probably chose spin because SRB2 is effectively a 2 button game in single player, and going beyond that would kinda make it feel "not the same."

That said yeah it'd probably be cleaner to make cancelling super a different button bind altogether. Buut like birbhorse said you can edit that action yourself in the script? Heh.

Jump and ring toss might be a good play.

i'm actually currently working on a huge thing that adds a bunch of minor new features that can be toggled via command, this included, and one of the features is the ability to switch the key used for cancelling the super form

it's unfortunately separated into singleplayer and multiplayer variants due to how player variables are handled, but once i get in a couple more features, i'll probably release it

...anyways i need to fix that bug i said i would lmao

Can't get the current version to work for some reason. Is it intended to only work in multiplayer?

Also not sure why spin is even an option, let alone your first choice. It's begging for people to untransform by accident, either by their own doing or because some other action intervenes.

If you insist on spin for....reasons, I'd recommend something like standing on the ground, holding back, and double tapping spin. That kind of input is so uncommon it'd have to be done purposely, and likely wouldn't interfere with anything.

Really weird that it's not working for you, but I can assure you the latest version does work.

To address your other points, I made another addon recently called MMT that addresses your complaint about spin being the key used to cancel the super form, you can change it to something else in that. I'll edit this addon to mention that now lol

Can't get the current version to work for some reason. Is it intended to only work in multiplayer?

Also not sure why spin is even an option, let alone your first choice. It's begging for people to untransform by accident, either by their own doing or because some other action intervenes.

If you insist on spin for....reasons, I'd recommend something like standing on the ground, holding back, and double tapping spin. That kind of input is so uncommon it'd have to be done purposely, and likely wouldn't interfere with anything.

This was one of the best QoL feature in Sonic 3 Complete.

This and having to use another jump button for Super instead of being the same.

why don't put custom action 3 instead of spin?
It should work for all original characters and too the addons (like Modern Sonic)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back