Opinions regarding Fable & Elder Scrolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueTenguMan

Been working. . .
Mind you mortal that this is NOT a competition between two games, but rather an analysis and honesty. I have played both Fable and Elder scrolls for quite some time and even though Fable suffers from a very linear landscape and dungeons, as well as hours, I still enjoy it more than the Scroll series mainly due to your actions affecting the world and society around you, and a true feel of actually being evil, lacking any kind of morality, and freedom.

Elder Scrolls just interests me with it's vast world, rare items, and races. Though at times it mainly leaves me in a hiatus for days on end considering how much more work needs to be implemented into your character only to survive against new types of enemies and NCPs. I only figure this was one of the strong points that made the scroll series very popular besides story and it's landscape ((which I mentioned already)).

IDK, I could probably explain more, but I talk too much as it is ((that and I fail at "dumbing" things down)), so you guys may as well get the topic on track.

Fable is a bit more ridiculous and less serious than The Elder Scrolls is. The Elder Scrolls focuses on character development, exploration and story from what I've seen and played. Fable focuses on the gameplay and exploration and less on character development from what I've noticed while watching gameplay of it. Neither is by no means bad, of course.

I personally like Fable just a tad bit more simply because it puts more emphasis on you and your actions. Being good has its rewards and being evil has its rewards and consequences (an example is in Fable 2 where Old Town of Bowerstone can either become the most desirable or undesirable district in the city depending on your actions as a child). Whereas in Elder Scrolls when you make a decision the world remains and feels unchanged by your actions (Hey you just stole my money, killed off an entire town, and became the leader of the Mages guild! Do I care? No.).

I didn't like the first Fable game, and I haven't bought the second or third games, and I don't plan to.

I don't understand what people are saying about your actions affecting the environment around you. In the game I've played, none of the characters ever treated me differently depending on my actions. Granted, if I kick a chicken, I might earn the name "Chicken Kicker." But if I murder hundreds of people, the main characters still describe me as being kind-hearted and pure.

The only time I got any respect as a villain is after I put on the mask in the extended ending.

Elder Scrolls, however, I have mixed feelings about. I adored Morrowind, and I still enjoy playing it. But I'm not a big fan of Oblivion. It starts off really slow, the characters faces move, but their expressions seem really inappropriate at times, and in the light they glow like jack-o-lanterns. But what really bothered me was the glitches. Without warning, Oblivion would encounter an error and stop. It also got really boring really fast going through those Oblivion gates to the red worlds which all look exactly alike, have the same monsters, and identical looking buildings.

Now Fallout, that game I really like. I was skeptical of a first-person shooter RPG combo at first, but I loved it. It's a lot like an Elderscrolls game set in the future, but the characters' expressions are much better, and you might say the environment is a lot more depressing.

Last edited:
I don't understand what people are saying about your actions affecting the environment around you.

Well things change prior to your actions during the game's events. For an example... in Fable 2 on my first Hero, I purchased a tower for a good 100k or so but it was infested with monsters and bandits with only a few guards around to repel them. I only found out that doing specific quests can add more content to some areas, and the area in which the tower was in COULD of had an agricultural settlement if I had brought redemption to a farmer 10 years before my disappearance in the Spire which was a one-time only quest. Until then, there would of been more traders passing and more security roaming around, that and I could of bought the entire settlement for a reduced price if I met up with that same farmer again.

Another example involved giving a guy name Bamrum 5000 gold to invest in a town called Westcliff which was pretty crappy; filled with thugs and everything. After you return 10 years later, it's more populated and the economy is better with more houses and a cleaner look. Xalted also gave an example in his post too. Really even though these are more story and quest related, your still choosing as to how you want to shape your world, thus reflecting your true nature in-game. So really, you can be the best helpful hero in the world, or be the biggest pompous ass that farts in the face of children cause you can.

Last edited:
Well, I have played both games, albeit Oblivion a bit more, and in my opinion, I'd say Fable is better. I dislike Oblivion because the characters have blank expressions, and there is literally no knockback to the characters when you hit them. I like the concept of your actions influencing the world around you in Fable a tad more than other things I've seen in Oblivion.

GrayAngel said:
But what really bothered me was the glitches. Without warning, Oblivion would encounter an error and stop.

This sounds like you may of Played this on the 360 version without the Shivering Isles expansion cause they fixed a good portion of bugs and glitches when that came out, even the odd candle light bug in some areas...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAHBMj2N5Qs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU7JFrnFiGQ&feature=related

Well, I have played both games, albeit Oblivion a bit more, and in my opinion, I'd say Fable is better. I dislike Oblivion because the characters have blank expressions, and there is literally no knockback to the characters when you hit them. I like the concept of your actions influencing the world around you in Fable a tad more than other things I've seen in Oblivion.

Yeah, the lack of knockback in Oblivion was quite annoying. It never mattered how much you pummeled someone, they'd just say "ah! ah!" and always stay right in your face until they're either dead or running for their lives.

I also liked the monsters in Morrowind better. Oblivion is just filled with a bunch of overpowered wild animals that stun you every time they hit you. And if you jump on a rock or something, your enemies won't follow you because they can't jump themselves. Every once and a while, though, they will glitch their way up if they throw themselves around enough.

This sounds like you may of Played this on the 360 version without the Shivering Isles expansion cause they fixed a good portion of bugs and glitches when that came out, even the odd candle light bug in some areas...

That is correct. I might have bought it for the computer instead if I thought it could handle it. The computer I used for Morrowind was far too weak for the game, and it was slow, it always closed on me without warning, and it often screwed up the textures. Eventually, I bought the game for the Xbox, and it worked like a dream. Even had the expansion packs that were previously only for the computer version.

I still like Morrowind a million times more than Oblivion. Oblivion was pretty cool in some ways, but it lacked the appeal that Morrowind had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back